Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The amount you need to insure your buildings for is the rebuild cost rather than the market value. HERE is a link to the Association of British Insurers/Building Cost Insurance Service, where you can register and then use their calculator as guide to the rebuild cost of your property.

Also below are links to Martin's "Cheap Home Insurance" page, and a couple of links from that which take you to comparison sites from where you can try getting alternative quotes. Usually if you cancel mid term there will be a cancellation charge.

Martin's "Cheap Home Insurance" page

gocompare.com

moneysupermarket.com

confused.com
  • buzzby
    buzzby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I need to get some contents insurance for my flat. I would like to know some of the best companies about for this.
    Obviously the cheaper the better but thats not the main thing I'm looking for.

Would like to know what are the best companies to deal with, I was with Abbey before and my mountain bike was stolen, and all they gave me was vouchers for halfords and the bike I had, you couldnt get the same quality in halfords. So would rather go with a company that didnt do that,

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks

Buzz
  • MTHEO
    MTHEO Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    10_66 wrote: »
    The amount you need to insure your buildings for is the rebuild cost rather than the market value. HERE s a link to the Association of British Insurers/Building Cost Insurance Service, where you can register and then use their calculator as guide to the rebuild cost of your property.

Thanks, i looked at re-build cost and it came out at £96,000 which seems crazy to me.
  • ashleywomble
    Options
    Has anyone else had a problem getting a large range of quotes on comparison sites for contents insurance only? I'm in a flat, so my maintenance charge covers the buildings insurance. Also they seem to keep asking what the roof is made of, I'm on the ground floor so why should that make a difference? I have never seen a flats discount for contents only offered by ANY company, any suggestions? As a single person I would say pay slightly higher insurance to avoid high excess, as who has £200+ to spare if something happens?
  • golfcartlove
    Options
    Hi all not sure if i'm in the right place bt hope you can help.
    My girlfriends house was broken into just before christmas and my laptop and xbox was stolen among other things which belonged to my girlfriend, the insurance company are willing to pay out for my girlfriends stuff but are not willing to pay for the things i had there, I was just wondering how i stand. Thanks for your time and help.
  • VIGILANT22
    VIGILANT22 Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all not sure if i'm in the right place bt hope you can help.
    My girlfriends house was broken into just before christmas and my laptop and xbox was stolen among other things which belonged to my girlfriend, the insurance company are willing to pay out for my girlfriends stuff but are not willing to pay for the things i had there, I was just wondering how i stand. Thanks for your time and help.

Doesn't your own insurance cover you?
  • golfcartlove
    Options
    I don't live in my own home so i don't have my own home insurance.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you live with your girlfriend permanently?
  • golfcartlove
    Options
    No i don't thats why i don't know my rights surely when u get contents insurance it covers the contents of the house not the person?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most policies will include cover for either guests contents or contents left in her custody
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure