We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• MrC
    MrC Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    After recieving my new policy renewal from Aviva was paying £268 new price £936!!!! but have had a few claims over the last five years but still thats taking the mick.
    tried sainsburys £760 your move £567 another comparison site cant remember which one best from that £497
    Rang More than and there quote was £367
    How can aviva think they can charge nearley £600 more beggers belief.
  • Anastasia
    Options
    Just renewed with Aviva for £177, free contents insurance with £70 cashback through Quidco. Includes cover for my son's belongings at uni which is another saving. First time using Quidco. Quote from original insurers £270. Really pleased.
  • jones84
    Options
    Can anyone advise me?

I have full home insurance and tried to claim today but they said I was not covered for the type of claim.

The hinges on my back door have fallen off and we can no longer use the door - We cannot afford a new door as we have been quoted a lot for a replacement. I told the insurance company the truth that when I open the door the top hinge popped off - then my partner took a look and opened the door and the bottom hinge popped off. They have told me as this is not accidental damage the claim cannot go ahead. The woman then told me if I had said I slammed the door and the hinges fell off It would have been covered under accidental cover!! So if I had lied my claim would have gone through - she told me that I was being recorded so couldn't call up and change my statement. I'm really cross that I cant claim but I could have claimed if I had lied - it doesn't make sense!! The door is only a few years old so I doubt its wear and tear, the door has often slammed shut but not on the day the hinges fell off it didn't.
    Can anyone advise me if I can take further action?

Many thanks
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like wear and tear or a maintenance issue which isn't covered by insurance. The hinges must have been loose before they fell off.

Can't you get a joiner to fit new hinges as I can't see that you would need a new door? Or even get your partner to do it as it's a simple DIY job.
  • Imposter67
    Options
    We get AA contents insurance and can't change as our cellar floods and are in dispute with Thames Water. The renewal has come up and it's £358. My question is they are giving credit for charging in instalments and the interest is nearly £50. Can we pay in full and avoid paying interest?
  • jones84
    Options
    Its not a wooden door its a pvc door - we have had a builder out and he said we can replace the safety hinges. He doesn't seem to think its wear and tear he thinks the door has slammed shut at some point which has made them loose and the they have popped right off when we opened the door.
  • jones84
    Options
    Its not a wooden door its a pvc door - we have had a builder out and he said we can replace the safety hinges. He doesn't seem to think its wear and tear he thinks the door has slammed shut at some point which has made them loose and the they have popped right off when we opened the door.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like the door / hinges have not been installed correctly, slamming a door would not normally make the hinges pop unless the door had not been installed properly or it was rotting
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 December 2009 at 7:06PM
    Options
    I'm in the process of sorting out my Home Insurance and have had quotes from the following companies:
    MoreThan
    Churchill
    Sheilas' Wheels
    Esure (who I think underwrite SW)
    Prudential (who I think underwrite Churchill)
    LV
    Tesco (who I'm already with)

Does anyone have any advice on any of the above, ie avoid like the plague, or reliable if having to make a claim (though I hope I never have to make a claim!). I know I can get cashback with some of the above, but would rather go on reliablility if necessary.
  • oldsam
    oldsam Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I am an oldie by that I mean over 50 years , Well recently the yearly the dreaded house insurance for contents £63 then the buildings £325 landed on the mat- But I did not renew with those firms but went online and found a company that quoted for the contents and buildings plus other add on cover gave it a better range of options in coverage , Total cost was £178 for the coming year but only available to the over 50's - The firm is based in Bournemouth - If live in a 3 bed mid terrace in Hampshire have a low claim history then use internet - For a grand house use a broker , With any insurance it pays to read - so sit down look at the small print to see how many times your policy gets handled other parties before it placed at LLoyds - thats where the costs are added to a policy -not the basic cost of cover . I am open to comment on this issue- How fingers in the pie ? .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport