Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Contents Insurance of £29000 would not be enough to replace the entire contents at new prices (Which is what you should cover) for the average family. The average family is thought to have circa £42000 of contents.

Not having enough cover can reduce any claims of any value by the percentage you are under insured by
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Options
    den52 wrote: »
    Zurich for building insurance at £402.36 (this includes monthly payment charge) and Tesco for contents at £358.05 for content insurance of £29,000.

Both standard cover and we have never claimed!

I have just renewed through Sheilas Wheels and it cost £59.13 for Unlimited building cover (4 bed house) and £49.35 for £45.000 household goods. Total cost £108.48

Last year was the first year I was with Shelias Wheels and it was even cheaper and they gave me home emergency cover for free.

The policy is easy to understand as all the sections are inividually priced such as under Building ...Alternative accomadation and rent ... unlimited. Replace external locks ..£1000 etc

Normally each year I change to another insurance company but thought the renewal quote was very fair so I didnt change this year!!
  • den52
    Options
    Thanks for your tips. I also have just taken out Sheila's Wheels insurance at a very competitive price of £160.00, which includes all the cover I need and an increase in the content insurance to £45,000 (thanks dacouch)

Just hope they do what it says on the tin when it comes to having to make a claim!

:T
  • boobbby
    boobbby Posts: 769 Forumite
    Options
    den52 wrote: »
    Thanks for your tips. I also have just taken out Sheila's Wheels insurance at a very competitive price of £160.00, which includes all the cover I need and an increase in the content insurance to £45,000 (thanks dacouch)

Just hope they do what it says on the tin when it comes to having to make a claim!

:T

Should be okay as it is really part of the Esure Insurance Group. I notice you get free legal and tradesman call out for the first year if you took out the insurance over the internet.
  • saving_not_shopping
    Options
    I have just bought a flat and have a very good friend living in my second bedroom, paying rent. Can we get joint contents insurance? Or can I just put all of our contents under my name? We don't have seperate locks on doors or anything like that.

We don't have any high value items - just the usual tvs, a Nintendo Wii, and a bike.

I'm sorry if someone has already asked this, I tried to have a good search.
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    We have contents insurance (flat) and our insurers of many years (no claims) won't pay for the damage that small moths have done to our wool carpet. They claim this is in the policy booklet under a general 'vermin' exclusion, but we have accidental damage cover and the 'vermin' is not fully explained anywhere in their policy document.

To replace the carpet will cost upwards of £1300. We can't afford that.
    I read on the internet that 'most' companies do cover the effects of any infestation, just not the cost of getting rid of the beasties.
    Does anyone have any helpful advice please?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which Insurer

(It is probably excluded but we can have a look for you)
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Options
    Lloyds TSB but they insure through Royal and Sun Alliance.
  • oomyekim
    oomyekim Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    If you look at page 46 of your policy booklet under the general execptions you will see the exception titled Wear and Tear;

[FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold][FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold][FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold]
    Wear and tear [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]– Any loss or damage
    caused by wear and tear, gradual
    deterioration, cleaning, restoring,
    reproofing, light, atmosphere, parasites,
    vermin, insects, moths, mould, fungus or
    any other gradually operating cause.

[FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold][FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold][FONT=LloydsTSBVAGRounded,Bold]That is why your claim was declined.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
  • philphelan
    Options
    The cheapest not always being the best - I agree! I recently used a site called lifefinancial.co.uk to get my contents insurnace as I had enough of the price comparison sites giving me rubbish insurance policies. I got a call fromone of their guys who was a specilist, and it was actually quite nice to talk to someone instead of spending ages on my computer. He told me that the policy I'd got out previously didn't even cover half the stuff in my house! Even my piano! which is the only thing I really cherish...

Goes to show sometimes it's better to talk to someone than get it wrong...:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure