PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ... Well after 12 NSD I went shopping and got a huge list with coupons and gift vouchers I spent a huge 2p :rotfl::rotfl: I should be done for the month now other than baby milk which I have vouchers to cover. ...

WOW Hiddenidentity! :T And double WOW after seeing your list! :T:T Truly amazing, well done. :beer:
    adysmum wrote: »
    Well I have added £19.99 to my sig. Went to the butchers near me for the first time and got a "family pack". It had:

1 steak pie
    1 whole chicken
    1lb diced beef
    1lb minced beef
    1lb link sausages
    1lb black pudding
    3 pork chops (got the chinese ones)
    frying steak (never had this before so open to ideas of what to do with it plz)
    6 eggs
    1lb of penguin biscuits
    2 packs of streaky bacon.

Thought that was loads so will see how we do, does that seem a good deal to you? ...

From someone who only buys meat from the local butcher :eek::money::j!!! That is an excellent deal adysmum, well done. :T
    ... Kitty food however.... bought 6 400g bags of royal Canin from Just for Pets last weekend and had a free bag of proplan, down to one bag by yesterday. I'm sure they're hoarding it like squirrels:D

Blackandwhitebunny, have you tried buying it online and through Quidco or topcashback? I get our cats special diet food that way and the cost comes down considerably even from the prices at P*ts *t H*m* et al. The suppliers I've used so far have been Z**plus (still waiting cashback though :mad:) and P*tm*ds recently for the first time. The cost had crept up so much locally I had to bite the bullet and order online to save the pennies. :(

Anyway off for my hm Chinese dinner in a short while and then the cinema. Thanks for the feedback MissOrganised and hope the spag bol tastes delish. OH is so excited it's like having a child in the house only instead of "Are we there yet?" I've had "Only four hours to go" "Only three hours to go" etc. :rotfl:

By the way what are/is ys? :huh:

See you tomorrow evening,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • M0neysav3r
    Options
    Just updated my sig to include another spend today, poped into T for some fish and ended up picking up some bargains too 37p sausages, 50p quiche, 39p 4pt milk, 50p kievs, 39p bread and some other bits - £5.83 in total :D
    :j No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! :eek: )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible :j
    GC - March £143.82 / £200 Feb £156.03 / £150 Oops! Jan £180.78/£200:D
  • pepsi-kins
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    Not doing too badly so far. I have plenty of food in the cupboards and freezers, trying not to buy much that isn't needed as my new kitchen has arrived, and hopefully will be fitted in the next few weeks (currently in the conservatory, lounge and garage! ho hum)
    I've been in domestic goddess mode today. Got given a coconut, so I've grated all of the flesh, and have made chocolate and coconut macaroons. It was quite labour intensive, but they taste sooo nice, already had two with a cuppa!

Have a good week everyone x
    2024 G/C £1102.69. Nectar - £ Morrison’s - £ Boots - £ Asda Rewards - £ Tesco - £
  • In_Martin_We_Trust
    Options
    Spiggle wrote: »
    WOW Hiddenidentity! :T And double WOW after seeing your list! :T:T Truly amazing, well done. :beer:

From someone who only buys meat from the local butcher :eek::money::j!!! That is an excellent deal adysmum, well done. :T

Blackandwhitebunny, have you tried buying it online and through Quidco or topcashback? I get our cats special diet food that way and the cost comes down considerably even from the prices at P*ts *t H*m* et al. The suppliers I've used so far have been Z**plus (still waiting cashback though :mad:) and P*tm*ds recently for the first time. The cost had crept up so much locally I had to bite the bullet and order online to save the pennies. :(

Anyway off for my hm Chinese dinner in a short while and then the cinema. Thanks for the feedback MissOrganised and hope the spag bol tastes delish. OH is so excited it's like having a child in the house only instead of "Are we there yet?" I've had "Only four hours to go" "Only three hours to go" etc. :rotfl:

By the way what are/is ys? :huh:

See you tomorrow evening,
    Spigs
    frying steak does exactly as it says on the tin to quote the famous advert. ie stirfry beef is a good meal to have with it. Doubt it would last till chinese new year though.
    Sealed pot challenge no5 member no1816!!
  • adysmum
    adysmum Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Spiggle wrote: »
    From someone who only buys meat from the local butcher :eek::money::j!!! That is an excellent deal adysmum, well done.

Thanks Spigs, was the first time I'd bought it, keep looking everytime I walk past but always have the kids. Went in yesterday when I was by myself and thank goodness I was, the bags were really heavy lol. Had 8 pints of milk as well. Had the chicken tonight as a roast and have loads left for chicken mayo sandwiches for hubby packed lunch. :money:
  • adysmum
    adysmum Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    frying steak does exactly as it says on the tin to quote the famous advert. ie stirfry beef is a good meal to have with it. Doubt it would last till chinese new year though.

Great, stir fry it is. Think I have noodles and a sauce in so perfect! :T
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi...made a tomato pasta dish for lunch and had tea out which is always welcome...need to use up some eggs so have made egg mayo for the sarnies and thought id make pancakes for pudding tomorrow....im excited about the fact i have some seville oranges so am going to make some marmalade tomorrow...lovely (hopefully)

going to get a chicken from costco for tea tomorrow and they have fish on special so might get some of that...also fancy a lasagne so going to get on and make one of those at some point this week

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Options
    Can't see myself getting through this month without going over-budget - it's really tight now after today's shop, £40 left! Going to make a big effort not to be too far over though, though we may be living off pasta and nothing else by the end of the month!

Hey ho, off to read the thread now.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
  • Alwaysthebusybee
    Options
    This thread moves fast ...

I am sure I have missed the odd receipt but I have most ... my total is £197.49 / £3000 (Yearly)

I think next month I will try and have a separate purse and pay for things separately as I know there is some none food items on the receipts :o

This thread is really useful and it is really easy to see where the bulk of your money goes ... I am in the process of collating a spreadsheet with costs of my regular purchases to see where my biggest spends are ... snacks & toiletries I think :(

Well this year is a saving learning curve so I will get there in the end :)
    £2 Saver # 40 & SPC # 1465 & VSP # 94 £101.47/£100
    Pay One Debt 2012 # 25 £480 / £4000
    Personal Targets - Mum £70/£1820 :o

Aim to be DEBT FREE December 2014
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss, angelaatgraceland :(

And dobs :grouphug: There's plenty of time for moneysaving and counting the pennies later :)
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    Hey presto a beautiful and tasty cake. Not slimming I know but OS.
    Yea, yea... you can't say that and not share it out ;) I'll pop the kettle on :D :A
    tracey12 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, my 2 dd go to their dads on a Sunday and he has to give them sunday lunch but he never gives them a proper lunch and they are usually hungry when they get home. Last week he gave them chocolate and a muffin, not exactly healthy food, grrr.

Tracey
    linz4383 wrote: »
    wot is it with dads n not feedin the kids rite!!! my ex is exactly the same! winds me up ded bad!!! especially on a saturday wen i dnt get bk home with her til 6.30 then i have to start cookin her something!! coz all shes had at t time in sum biscuit n carp like that! ARGGHHHH!
    Goodness knows, but I'm glad it's not just me :o

I've lost count of the amount of times she's come home and actually been sick cos he's only given her sweets, or just stuffed her silly with rubbish!

Was really surprised today; he sent her home with two new pairs of boots. One pair not quite what I would have chosen, but decent (and unheard of :o) of him to get them!

Popped into Tesco and it looked like a plague of locusts had gotten there before me! The only loose bananas were bright green, so picked out one slightly more yellow one and will hope for the best for tomorrow's lunch :rotfl:

Also got some king edwards (JackieO, I agree, they're the best!) and... yorkshire puddings :o:A:whistle:

So a spend of £2.36 brings the total up to £30.65 so far for the month.

Tonights dinner was roast beef, yorkshires, mash (oh my word, the new blender makes amazing, velvety mash and so easy too!! Well chuffed :D) and veg.

Plenty of roast beef left for tomorrow as well.

It's amazing how much this thread concentrates your mind. Thank you all :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport