January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.4K views

Replies

• edited 16 January 2012 at 1:06AM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K posts
    edited 16 January 2012 at 1:06AM
    Thankyou all for your condolences and virtual hugs. :)I'd like to send a big hug to Dobs also. I know what it is like to lose a much loved pet-it is also a family member!
    SIL has offered to take hubby for his chemo if funeral lands on his chemo day-she is an angel :A I hadn't even suggested any possible problem and she just offered. DD made meatloaf for dinner from minced pork so that was a cheapy dinner. Bless her, I came in from work yesterday and my tea was awaiting me plus some lovely banana bread. No chance I will lose any weight at that rate! I am thankful though that I have lovely people in my life. As they say, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    Stayed in all day today but had my Asda order tonight and very pleased with it-I got a lot for my money I think and it was free delivery.
    Particularly good was
    smartprice pasta @25p per pack, smartprice lasagne @39p smartprice curry sauce @17p smartprice golden savoury rice(dried)@27p 1.5 litres of orange juice for 62p-the same price as the 1 litre size!!' Mixed herbs 19p Fabric softener 1.47 litre @66p 750g mushrooms @ £1.35 and 6 cans ginger beer @ £1.25. I did treat mysyelf to their cheapest bottle of navy rum as I like a shot of that as a treat now and then-it will last a couple of months!:rotfl:
    The whole lot came to £62.66 after taking off a few non food items to add to my total. Until today, for the first 2 weeks of January my grocery spend was just £117. 05 Ive counted IN my rum(being good)and my monthly spend so far on food is: £179.71. I won't have room for anything for a week I suspect, whether I am tempted to spend or not! Approx £134 left to spend for the rest of the month but in effect it will only be for a week as I will either spend very little or nothing until next week now! Temptation has been removed due to lack of space in the cupboards,the fridges and the freezer. At least if it snows we have lots of food in-may not earn any money but we will be fed :money:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Morning All,

Well after another spend yesterday in M*S to try and get a beef joint as OH had vouchers he said I could use, the beef joint was double the price of the one I normally get in Asd* and was disgustingly fatty and just not good at all. I have told OH I will never go back there for beef again.

Got a couple of bits that had been YS but felt guilty about them as they were not on my list and therefore uneccessary. only other spend was two bottles of sparkling flavoured water that are my all time favourite and as OH had beer and wine all weekend I didnt feel too guilty about spending £0.69 on some water.

Visited MIL in hospital with a piece of home made cheesecake, glad to see the back of it (the cheesecake not the MIL) as have managed to put on 3lb this week!

HM Chicken coconut curry tonight, new recipe so will report back if any good.

9 days till OH gets paid and 11 till I get paid so hopefully we will come in on or under budget this month.
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Getting a new chest freezer today so that means less being able to find what I have crammed in the other freezer and more being able to pick up those offers when I see them and also loads more room for stock, soups and that portion of what we did not use from a meal that will make another meal another day (how long before I fill this one :eek:).
    Good thing with the new freezer it has a very good electricity rating which means saving on food offer and saving on the cost of running the freezer. :cool:
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    £15.57 in aldi on bare essentials - bread, milk, cat food, bacon, cereal, fruit and veg etc then £7 in asda on bits can't get or don't like form alid - raw king prawns, yeo yoghurts, philly bought with a voucher and a few snacks for during Sherlock! Bought asda ham too - so much more expensive and not as nice as aldis
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    Morning all

Should be another NSD here, plenty left in freezer and cupboards for about another week. May need milk and a bit of fruit but that should be it.

After much deliberation and after stuffing my face with chocs last night :o I've decided to go back to Weightwatchers. To cut a very long story short, I've struggled with my weight all my life, yo-yo dieted (tried them all !) lost 5 1/2 stone in total and have now put 2 of that back on - result of a holiday to Florida and becoming a bit of a glutton over xmas and new year. :(

WW is the only one that works for me and I do need that weekly weigh-in to keep me on track. So, tonight I will eat my tea and go and face the music !

I am, however, determined to do it on a budget and I know the new pro-points system is very much geared up for being able to cook and eat from scratch. So, a double-barrelled effort going on here - wish me luck ! :D
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...frosty here and wintery which i suppose is to be expected as it is winter...we are going to have roast chicken for tea and i might make a rice pudding ...we are going to costco to have a look at the bargains ...there are a few special offers i am interested in buying

budget is holing up ok at the moment but i might be on later saying im spent up...all costcos fault

take care on the slippy pavements
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Morning guys

frosty day here too.

well not planning on doing any shopping until tonight.

but confused what best time for reductions might be in morrisions and co-op?
    think might hit co-op first as know they reduce well then morrisions last.

got soem bargain bread and crisps in corner shop and spar last night.
    so easily have a month worth bread and rolls in freezer as all I seem to find.
    got months worth out date crisps 45packs for £4 and some family size bags!
    Sometimkes supporting local independants help0s as you build relationships and they kindly thourght of me.

Did do co-op late yesterday afternoon but

everyone was after a bargain
    hardly anything there but grabbed what I could
    only spent £15 and that included some offers.

spent £7spar
    £6 corner shop

so need to update my sig to £96

really need meat still
    some frozen basics
    some storecupboard stuff.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • edited 16 January 2012 at 1:38PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2012 at 1:38PM
    More great recipe for the index :T

Ninno, I've listed your recipe as Apple and Orange Fruit Cake, hope that's ok

123budget, Celery Soup

Spiggle, Milk Jelly

totallybored, Cheese, tomato and pesto muffins

Thanks everyone :beer:

If you're listing a recipe its really helpful to include the title in the post, or in the heading as totallybored did (you need to be in 'Advanced' edit to do this). Makes it so much easier for people checking out these recipes in years to come ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Reporting a NSD yesterday and I won't go to the supermarket today and hopefully tomorrow!

Using up the party food from Saturday - as usual I made too much so it should keep me going for lunches and dinners till at least Tuesday! :D
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • ClaireT13ClaireT13 Forumite
    222 posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone

Sorry, I haven't been managing to keep up with the thread for the last week or so as I went and franctured my wrist last weekend :angry:.

Anyway, just popping in to report a £4.32 spend this morning on bread, blackcurrant squash and bananas.

That gives me £90 until the end of the month. Hopefully it should be possible, I have lots of main meals so it will just be milk and packed lunches to pay for.

I'm just a bit disappointed because I set this budget thinking that for my first month I would set a realistic target and from there I would start stripping it back - but it does look like I will only just scrape in at £300 :(

Oh well, onwards and upwards. Good luck everyone!

Claire
    Banish the clutter 88/2020 :j