January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.4K views

Replies

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You certainly can although it was a partial experiment!

100g NICE biscuits
    200g digestives
    100g butter
    2 tsp golden syrup
    250g mascarpone cheese
    100g Philly
    175ml condensed milk
    2 limes
    1 lemon

Bash the biscuits in a bag until they turn to dust
    Melt the butter and golden syrup and then add the biscuits
    Push the biscuit mixture into a loose bottom tin and stick in the fridge for one hour

Put all the cheese and milk in a bowl and blend ( I gave up and did mine with a hand blender )
    Add the zest and juice from the fruit and stir until blended
    Smooth the mixture over the biscuit base and stick back in the fridge

Enjoy!!!

Cheers m'dear, sounds lush. Will have to see if I can do this with GF biscuits.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Ess-sixEss-six Forumite
    141 posts
    Hello Everyone

Just updated my signature with my spends for the last 7 days. I've managed to keep up with reading everyone's posts which has helped keep me motivated and enthusiastic.

I'm really pleased with my spend to date - the challenge has really helped me to focus on meal planning and stopped me from wandering around the supermarket putting things in my trolley without a thought as to whether I actually need them/will use them.

I'm doing the second purse system as well, but don't have too much room to stash things away, I'll see how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for your help and tips
  • GorgeestwoGorgeestwo Forumite
    536 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Didn't end up getting anything in M&$ in the end, they didn't have much veg left by the time I got there and didn't want to spend £25 on other stuff for the sake of it, so I went to Mr S and popped into Mr T's.
    Just a small shop at Mr T's, £9.74, including the Muller corner yoghurts that are on buy 1 get 2 free and a couple of whoopsied bits and pieces.
    Then a much bigger shop at Mr S, of £62.76, I'm so pleased with how much I got, I stuck to my list, the only extra I bought was some food storage boxes (only their basic's range) that were reduced to 50p for 4, couldn't resist getting a couple of packs :D
    I'm still pleased with how its going, even though I've still got 13 days :eek: to go and not a lot of the budget to do it, but I'll blame my troublesome cats for the majority of that ;) hoping that I won't need to get anything else this week apart from more milk and some lettuce towards the end of the week.
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 £65.86/£300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    raphanius wrote: »
    i went in tonight for loo roll and mozarella...they had neither so i walked out without buying anything. the first time i have ever done that, normally i would buy something to go through the checkout. go me!

Yaaay go you :j Well done :T

I did the same today, but I did then go to Mr T and get some chocolate oranges for presents to ease the disappointment :o
    My big step for today was to get the sa to cancel some shampoo that I had put through the ss, I was hoping the glitch would work, but it didn't. Normally, I would have just paid for it anyway as I would have been too embarressed to say I didn't want it after I had scanned it.

We had our hm pizza tonight and I am really chuffed because there is still enough boiled bacon left to make into a quiche, that will be a third meal for 5 of us out of it and for £3.99 from L*dl, that can't be bad:)

A quick question, does anyone know if mozarrella freezes? I have still got one unopened bag of it and another half a ball and I would hate to have to waste it, even if it was ys.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    sproggi wrote: »
    Yaaay go you :j Well done :T

I did the same today, but I did then go to Mr T and get some chocolate oranges for presents to ease the disappointment :o
    My big step for today was to get the sa to cancel some shampoo that I had put through the ss, I was hoping the glitch would work, but it didn't. Normally, I would have just paid for it anyway as I would have been too embarressed to say I didn't want it after I had scanned it.

We had our hm pizza tonight and I am really chuffed because there is still enough boiled bacon left to make into a quiche, that will be a third meal for 5 of us out of it and for £3.99 from L*dl, that can't be bad:)

A quick question, does anyone know if mozarrella freezes? I have still got one unopened bag of it and another half a ball and I would hate to have to waste it, even if it was ys.

Sproggi

Yup ! :D Got about 4 packs in mine, just make sure you freeze it in the liquid :D
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone earlier in the thread said they had put theis mozz in the freezer so I am guessing it is ok.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Evening All

Well hubby is becoming whoopsie hunt addicted. He suggested popping in to two sm's on our way home earlier this evening! I got two tuna steaks reduced from £5.10 to 99p, a beef hot pot for 40p, pack of chilli's for 20p and two choc milk shakes for 20p :)
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thank you majjak and tigerfeet2006
    I will stick the unopened one in the freezer then and rather than waste the half a ball that is left, I think I will make a couple of cheats pizzas and freeze them (just sliced bread lightly toasted with tomato sauce, cheese, boiled bacon/gammon and grated chedder on top, then under the grill for a couple of mins), I usually make these when I have stale bits of bread and want something quick for children. Hopefully they will work frozen.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well my budget has well and truly exploded.:eek: Why oh why do I take DH into a shop when I only need a couple of things:(

Went to Aldi for fruit, children's yogs, bread, dog food and full fat milk and left £33 poorer:eek: £2 was on screen wash that isn't included in the budget but everything else was food including diced chicken to go with a curry sauce DH found and other stuff that I can't even remember now. No carp bought, just more than we need right now.

We then popped to Tesco as we wanted to get DS an Igg1e Pigg1e toy for being so brave yesterday and T0ys are not Us didn't have one. Bought some of their spr1ngforce loo roll as it is the one I like and I don't intend to be shopping at Mr T very often in the future and also got some crisps to munch on infront of the lappy/PS3 tonight;)

I have realised though that I have made things particularly tough for myself this month as I have been trying to stick to a £500 budget based on my month being 5 weeks @ £100 without adding anything extra on top for the fact this needed to include my christmas food and booze shopping as well. My last 3 weeks spends have been:

£74.83
    £65.56
    £83.48

I am pleased with this as it shows that I am well under my £100/week budget and this includes 2 takeaways, beer for DH and treats too. I am going to try dropping my budget next month. We have seen a new bed we want so I need to save up a bit more to pay for it.

My big spends over the Christmas period also included £20/worth of vitamins and £20 on razors for DH which should last 4-5 months as well as tons of booze. Only 1 bottle of port, a bottle of cava and 1 bottle of wine left now unfortunately.:(

I will have to buy yogurt tomorrow as I misread the muffin recipe I posted yesterday and don't have any in. I also need shower gel as I can only use simple stuff and forgot to buy any at either of the supermarkets I have been in thi9s weekend. We are having a quiet day at home tomorrow so I intend to make the following:

Leek and Pot Soup
    Minestrone (WW Style)
    Parnsip and parmesan muffins
    Ginger cake
    Tomato and herb bread

That's the plan, let's hope it comes off.:)
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,923.64/£10,000 69%
    Target CC - £999/£1030 SIF by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £422.94/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 by 31.12.20 - 37.5%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 224 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Year budget - £1,320.00
    Year Spent - £0,119.91
    Year left - £1,200.09
    Mr S - £2.04
    Mr A - £10.22
    Total - £12.26

Year budget - £1,320.00
    Year Spent - £0,132.17