Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 331.4K views

Replies

• stardrops42stardrops42 Forumite
    857 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

Decided to sit down last night and really look at how much we've been spending on food over the last year. Turns out we were spending approx £500 a month for 3 of us:eek::eek: I can't believe it:eek:
    I'm so glad I joined this thread, it has really made me think about how much we're wasting:mad:
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try:whistle:)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose:eek:

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose:D
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose:D
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose:D
  • Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Year budget - £1,320.00
    Year Spent - £0,110.51
    Year left - £1,209.49
    Mr S spent - £9.40. In that shop my partner got milk for the month for himself.

Year budget - £1,320.00
    Year Spent - £0,119.91
    Year left - £1,200.09
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Coxy11 wrote: »
    Lovebeingathomemum - Foraged deep into cupboards today and managed Nigella's s**t spaghetti for tea tonight - success with all family!

:rotfl:Reminds me of my childhood. When I used to ask my Mum what was for dinner she would reply "!!!!! and sugar"!

Please tell me what was in the spaghetti ....???? :eek:
    freyasmum wrote: »
    It's spaghetti alla puttanesca - w**re's style spaghetti in Italian.

Depending on the version you prefer, the story goes that cos it's so quick and easy to put together it was easy for all the ladies of the night to have between, ahem, shifts :p

Just to add on to the above, here's Nigella's recipe.
  • edited 7 January 2012 at 12:07AM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    edited 7 January 2012 at 12:07AM
    Just filled in my spreadsheet for my spends so far:
    Spent £68.04 Real Val £89.41 Cost of Whoopsies £9.93 Worth £30.30 Vouchers £2.60
    So I still have £7 approx left until end of tomorrow! I think I will keep that in a separate purse. Very pleased that apart from petrol and hospital parking(£20+£3)that Ive not had any "other" spends this week. Going to type a list of what they are "allowed to eat" tomorrow while I am at work! I will leave it in a prominent place in the kitchen so hopefully they will go by it and not waste what needs using up in the fridge. Have my lunch ready-tin of WW soup, packet of couscous and a mince pie plus one for my workmate-they will get put on top of the storage heater to warm up for elevenses!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • rej-crej-c Forumite
    115 Posts
    Hope everyone's well, and doing well.

I've just added two NSDs [Tues and Thurs] and combined spend of £17.38 [Weds and today].

Need to do better on the NSDs and lessen the outlay on spendy days - a bit like the weight-loss 'calories in vs calories out' equation, easier said than done, but I know we can do it.

Now to spend the rest of the weekend catching up on this insanely fast-moving thread :o
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • XSpender wrote: »

2) A £200 unexpected tax refund cheque:j And it didn't even cross my mind to order a takeaway:rotfl:

Thats when you know your at the top of your game :T I can only hope I can follow in your footsteps :rotfl:

Tonight i didnt feel well so only ate a third of my dinner which means I've now put the remainder in the fridge for lunch tomorrow lol

A quick supermarket question - we shop at Mr t on my theory that as we get cc points its cheaper as I use the cc points to buy things when the statements come through right? are you following me ?(I've probably lost half of you there haven't I lol!) is it much cheaper in say [email protected] and @ldi? or is my theory correct that we get a bigger discount as will use the points? god I'm not sure that made any sense :rotfl:

• sonastinsonastin Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    minipenny wrote: »
    A quick supermarket question - we shop at Mr t on my theory that as we get cc points its cheaper as I use the cc points to buy things when the statements come through right? are you following me ?(I've probably lost half of you there haven't I lol!) is it much cheaper in say [email protected] and @ldi? or is my theory correct that we get a bigger discount as will use the points? god I'm not sure that made any sense :rotfl:

I get where you're coming from. Not sure I can explain my answer clearly though :rotfl:

You should be able to work it out. You get (e.g. - not sure of the exact details) 1 point for every pound spent and 1 point equals 1p to spend when the statement comes through. So for every £ you spend in Mr T, you get 1p off your next shop. And every £ in that next shop buys you 1p off the shop after that.

If I understand correctly (and I'm tired now so might not be thinking clearly), you're better off shopping elsewhere if it is cheaper because your points are only equivalent to a penny off. But if its the same price in the other stores or Mr T is closer/more convenient and only marginally more expensive then you might as well rack up the cc points.

In my experience, some things in A!di are significantly cheaper and better, some aren't so cheap and some aren't as good on quality. I've taken to doing my shopping all over the place depending on who offers the best value for money for a particular item.
  • Above correct "but" when you trade in the vouchers for days out or whatever they are worth? x times as much. so if when traded in theey are say 4 times the value(or whatever)then count those points as worth 4p each(or whatever the discount is) to see if you are saving or not.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • I never do the 4x stuff only double ups for presents perhaps or just on their own for groceries....thanks for understanding my ramble lol!

• sonastin wrote: »
    I get where you're coming from. Not sure I can explain my answer clearly though :rotfl:

You should be able to work it out. You get (e.g. - not sure of the exact details) 1 point for every pound spent and 1 point equals 1p to spend when the statement comes through. So for every £ you spend in Mr T, you get 1p off your next shop. And every £ in that next shop buys you 1p off the shop after that.

If I understand correctly (and I'm tired now so might not be thinking clearly), you're better off shopping elsewhere if it is cheaper because your points are only equivalent to a penny off. But if its the same price in the other stores or Mr T is closer/more convenient and only marginally more expensive then you might as well rack up the cc points.

In my experience, some things in A!di are significantly cheaper and better, some aren't so cheap and some aren't as good on quality. I've taken to doing my shopping all over the place depending on who offers the best value for money for a particular item.

this makes sense!! i'll venture to aldi next week (is only down the road) and see what they offer....I have all prices for food we have on an excel sheet *geek* so should be able to print and take with me to compare thanks! :D

must remember 1 point is only a penny :D so if its cheaper than the pennys/cc points ill get then its worth the switch.

This discussion has been closed.