Deliciosa’s DFW diary

Options

Comments

• deliciosa
    Options
    MaggieBear wrote: »
    Hmm, with the tomato bagettes, could you add a little lettuce as a barrier?

Congratulations on all the NSD - the Diet coke money, that's not just for one day, is it? So it's part of a reasonable considered budget :).

How nice of your friend to pay like that, and to be proud of you paying back your debt, but be careful that your friend's kindness doesn't force you into more debt.

Cheap swimming cossies in Feb... hrm.. you might get lucky with some things coming into the cheaper shops - Primark, peacocks (although there weren't any this week), new look, TK maxx. Suntan lotion you can possibly still pick up cheap from the reduced bit in Boots - I know our boots has LOADS at the moment as they're trying to get rid of last years stock and it's all still in date.

You probably don't need much else, food money, but you'd be eating at home anyway.

Hey diet coke news: still have 6 left! If I have one this afternoon, that still means five left, meaning, Monday and Tuesday ok next week!

I will pay my friend back all right and no, I won't let it spiral out of control. She keeps insisting I don't pay back but I don't want that. I am not a leech :) I might be in debt but I have dignity.

Thanks for the tips, I will do as you said. Next week I go to primark, I can easily go to the big one on oxford street in lunchtime. so tell me, how much budget am I allowed? I absolutely need: 1 swimming cost, 1 bikinis, 1 sarong and 1 pair of flipflops. that's the absolute minimum. plus lotion (boots) - Hey I go t a boots advantage card :j money saving here i come.

I need food money and possibly a book (i have some at home). We will be eating out sometimes i guess but I'll keep it down, I promise. Officially promise. And I wont go on a shopping spree when there...

One good way of keeping control of your spending when in europe is to think euros as pounds. Say I see something costs 20 Euros, I think of it as £20. If its worth it like that, I buy, if too much, I wont. And then you come home and pleasantly surprised how little you spent compared to what you thought you spent :j
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • deliciosa
    Options
    mouche wrote: »
    Hi,

I've spent the past three days reading your diary from 1st thread to last. Dfw is right - it's like a novel with so many twists and turns and a really nice main character. ;)

I think you have been doing really well to face and fight your debts and I'm really happy for you for paying back over a third of your debt. It was really tough for you and you still did it. I think you should be really proud of yourself. Congratulations!

Reading your diary has made me want to write my own - except that I'm not in debt (touch wood)! Does anyone know if there's a saving-money-diary kind of forum? With people who are as nice and supportive? :)

Your friend has been really kind to pay for your holiday and I think you should go and enjoy yourself. One thing you could try is setting yourself a budget for food, entertainment, whatever and taking it with you in cash. Check Martin's Traval money optimiser thingie - it will tell you where you can get the cheapest foreign currency and since you're in London, it'll probably be nearby. Then, since your friend knows about your debt, hand over your credit card to her while you're on holiday and try to stay within the cash you have. Having to ask her for the credit card will make you think twice about spending on it!

My husband and I are going to Brussels and Amsterdam for 4 days to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary and I know the joy planning a holiday brings. You have plenty of time to pick up cheap things so enjoy yourself and have a great time!

Aww thanks for your nice words! I am hoping to make the novel a really nice one with a happy ending soon.... :j dfd here i come!

And I promise I wont go away, even if I mess it up (which I wont!!!) I will stay here and force myself to deal with my situation.

I'm sure a moneysaver diary would be also fine on these boards but you might want to ask a board guide to be sure? Well done for not being in debt - a sensible person :)

Any idea of how much I should leave for the food budget on hols? Its five days. Free food on planes.

Amsterdam sounds fab, congratulations on being married for two years! when are you going?
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
  • deliciosa
    Options
    Snaggles wrote: »
    Awww, what a nice friend you have got! See, you used your willpower, and something really good came out of it.

George at Asda has loads of swimming costumes in at the moment, and a couple of them were really nice. I would have bought one except they are always too short in the body for me, so I tend to have to buy more expensive ones, which is really annoying. I only buy one every couple of years though, so it's not too bad.

Hi Snaggles,

Yes you're right, I think of it as a kind of reward for my being able to be strong and say no...
    I don't know where an asda is here! Hampstead and central london, not exactly the asda kind of places :( where can I find one?????

I was so slim last year I can't get into those bikinis anymore, hence the need to buy new ones. Shame :(:(
  • deliciosa
    deliciosa Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Bad news.
    Spent Sunday crying in bed. I have cancelled my gym membership two weeks ago and they told me over the phone that its now cancelled. I could not cancel the direct debit online but I thought its fine as they won't take any more payment. So yesterday I realised they took TWO MONTHS payment £98 from my card!!!!! I called them up and they said when I siagned the contract, I agreed to this and I have to pay and they wont give me a refund. I slightly remember them saying something about two months payments, but they took two months in february too. They are such awful people. I told the guy I cancelled two weeks ago! He was really rude and patronising. As a result, my balance went to -£67 O/D and the authorised overdraft limit is £50 so I will be charged for it :'( I can';t believe this is happening. I am so upset. I got them to promise me that the manager will call me to discuss. No calls so far.

Other than that, NSD sat but bought groceries for £5 on Sunday.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    As part of the direct debit guarantee (the little slip of paper you get to cut out and keep), you can recall any payment you have not authorised. Go to your bank, and don't be fobbed off.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • deliciosa
    Options
    should I call them?
  • deliciosa
    Options
    OMG ZTD!!!!! I just called them up (natwest) and referred to the direct debit guarantee as you said and this very lovely and helpful lady said no problem, it will be recalled straight away and back to my account in a day!!! I cant believe this!! YOURE A STAR!! How can I thank you?? This was SOOO easy, it took literally two minutes and I am getting my money back!!! Wooohooo!
    Now I will speak to the gym and tell them to leave me alone once the money's back :):) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUU!!!!!!!!
  • ZTD
    Options
    Yes, and cancel your DD at the same time.

Taking 2 months every month is just not on.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Ooops, crossed posts.

It's good to know at least one bank can be helpful and prompt.

Of course you may still face bank charges, which the gym - depending on their excuse for taking 2 months after you've cancelled it - will be liable for. But how you deal with that is up to you.

Just make sure the direct debit is cancelled, or they'll just pull the same stunt again.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • deliciosa
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Ooops, crossed posts.

It's good to know at least one bank can be helpful and prompt.

Of course you may still face bank charges, which the gym - depending on their excuse for taking 2 months after you've cancelled it - will be liable for. But how you deal with that is up to you.

Just make sure the direct debit is cancelled, or they'll just pull the same stunt again.

:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
    If I get a bank charge I will call natwest and ask them not to charge it and explain what happened, they will see it was recalled... no?

Yes, I made sure it's cancelled, the girl confirmed it - I love my bank, natwest are always really nice with me ... (bear in mind I am not a problem customer :))

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!! I can't believe I bawled over this for hours yesterday!!!! I'll get the money back tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport