Deliciosa’s DFW diary

Options

Comments

• deliciosa
    deliciosa Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Skint_Catt wrote: »
    "No I won't spend on them - oh ok maybe a little."

Heard that too many times - this is how people get into bigger and bigger and bigger debt.

NO - you do not need to spend on them to keep them alive. NO - you don't need to keep them alive.

Only pay the minimum IF you are disciplined enough NEVER to dip into the 'savings' you are putting away until the 10th/11th month. If you don't put anything away to pay off a lump sum at the end because you're spending it when you have it, or you dip into it so much that there's nothing left, then you haven't gained a thing.

Cut your other cards up - even before the balances are clear.
    Pay off as much as you can afford to pay every month - get rid of this debt!

Look, your'e right, and i totally see where you are coming from. I am intending to reduce my debt, not increase it. I WILL put money aside, I will have to calculate it very carefully tho, so I know how much is needed. I calculate that if I put around £3500 of my debt on that card (an d the rest I pay off next payday, if I can), then that's £350 for ten months. this I can easily do. guys please have a little faith in me. I can do this. I am disciplined enough. I will have that £3500 in ten months time, I am actually hoping for earlier.

Please trust me when I say that I will not, WILL NOT WILL NOT spend on those cards. I will not spend on those cards. (apart from as possible genuine emergency which I do not think will happen). I will not spend on the cards (M&S and HSBC and the new MBNA, that is, I will only spend on debit card and amex, as I explained before.

the only genuine reason I want to keep them alive is some places dont take amex so need a mastercard backup, say for holidays. Thgat's genuinely it. Plus my stupid fear and false security when I know I have access to credit. I will not use it. I will not use it. I promise I won't be weak. I see this 0% card as my opportunity.

Just someone tell me please if they can charge interest on B/T and if yes, how do people get around it, or they dont?
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Given your past weeks spending - "not going to use them" is not a dead cert.

"Can't use them, because I don't have them" is a dead cert.

Again - why do you need 3 (count them) credit cards?

Edit: Correction 4 credit cards.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • deliciosa
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Given your past weeks spending - "not going to use them" is not a dead cert.

"Can't use them, because I don't have them" is a dead cert.

Again - why do you need 3 (count them) credit cards?

Edit: Correction 4 credit cards.

fine. deal's this. I leave MBNA at home. I cancel M&S and I cut up HSBC. How's that sound?

M&S is just my employer and I feel bad canceling the card. but then again, its the awful hsbc, it has nothing to do with marks and spencer anymore and I havent used it in a year. So , deal? I will be cancelling M&S, leave MBNA at home and cut up HSBC but not cancel and keep card number for emergencies, at the same time PROMISE I wotn use it.

Besides, if you look back you will see that I go mad with the amex, not with the rest. That is the risky one. and no way I am getting rid of that, my precious BA miles and free flights.... ;)

so, MBNA home, HSBC cut but live and M&S cancelled once balance transferred to MBNA. Ok now? :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
  • deliciosa
    Options
    I woke up today with a new, happy, mbna interest free-debt free life. I will update my savings every month so that you guys see how much I have to throw at debt! :)
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Sounds like a good start to me, keep going.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    deliciosa wrote: »
    Aww thanks for your nice words! I am hoping to make the novel a really nice one with a happy ending soon.... :j dfd here i come!

I'm sure you will do it. Think of it this way - you're young, single, and not that many responsibilities. And you're fully aware of how evil debt is! You're in a great place to repay everything and be debt free for the rest of your life.

And I promise I wont go away, even if I mess it up (which I wont!!!) I will stay here and force myself to deal with my situation.

I'm sure a moneysaver diary would be also fine on these boards but you might want to ask a board guide to be sure? Well done for not being in debt - a sensible person :)

Any idea of how much I should leave for the food budget on hols? Its five days. Free food on planes.

I have no idea about costs in Gran Canaria so I can't really help here. But do factor in the odd coffees, drinks etc and not just the main meals. They really add up!

Amsterdam sounds fab, congratulations on being married for two years! when are you going?

I have to admit, we messed up moneysaving on our holidays big time! We didn't expect everything to be so expensive and we didn't do a proper budget before going so it all went out of control. We were planning to spend about 300 euro not including hotels, airfare and visa. We ended up spending closer to 500! But the good thing is we still just about managed within our holiday savings. We were saving some of that for a trip home to India but that money is gone now. :( Still, we had a FABULOUS holiday and got to spend some time together which we really wanted.

Congratulations on getting the 0% card. I think your efforts to pay off your debt must have improved your credit score helping you to get accepted for this card. So make sure you keep up the good work! I's good you've decided to cut up your cards except the MBNA one. It's very very hard resisting the temptation to spend money that you should not be spending and the less temptation you have around you, the better.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • deliciosa
    Options
    Thanks - funnily enough (and I would welcome the experienced ppls's thoughts on this!) the guy said on the phone that the default was still on my file, so he asked me about it. He then said NEVERTHELESS he approves the card. (I did explain that it does not belong there and that I have proof that it needs to be removed, but I have not SHOWN him proof so either he took my word for it or my credit rating is good enough even with the default which is fab news!

Hey I have not decided to cut up all of them... but you know what, I might do that. The thing is I already have the M&S and HSBC card at home so no temptation to spend money really. Its only small things that get me tempted lately, and only american express...

oh dear...

I am looking forward to receiving my mbna!!! its a platinum card! :)
  • deliciosa
    Options
    Sounds like a good start to me, keep going.

Thanks for the encouraging post :) :j I WILL keep going.
  • ZTD
    Options
    fine. deal's this. I leave MBNA at home. I cancel M&S and I cut up HSBC. How's that sound?

M&S is just my employer and I feel bad canceling the card. but then again, its the awful hsbc, it has nothing to do with marks and spencer anymore and I havent used it in a year. So , deal? I will be cancelling M&S, leave MBNA at home and cut up HSBC but not cancel and keep card number for emergencies, at the same time PROMISE I wotn use it.

Why don't you cancel the two worst-interest rate ones, and keep one in the freezer for emergencies, and use your Amex?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    I am looking forward to receiving my mbna!!! its a platinum card! :)

Hate to be the bringer of bad news...but I think you'll find it's plastic... ;)
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport