Deliciosa’s DFW diary

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I know how that feels! OH and I are not EU citizens so had to get visas for our trip to Brussels - £140 for the two of us. I think we will stick to sightseeing in the UK for a while now! Of course we have our India trip to look forward to. It only costs us the ticket cost coz our families don't let us spend a penny there!

Good for you for not spending in Gran. I just wrote 2 cheques (£100+£69) for my foot treatment. I had to get special insoles made for me but the 1st doctor said £300 and the second one did them for me for £69 so big savings!

Now I can walk without pain (mostly) again, I am thinking of joining a gym. Am going to LA Fitness Piccadilly for a trial today so wish me luck that I like it.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • dfw844
    dfw844 Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Glad you enjoyed the hol!

Well done on the balance transfer, don't you just hate those pesky fees? Sound like you're doing really well on the Amex as well. Also, have you checked whether the airline you use does any loyalty scheme? My mum and dad live a long way away, and I always fly, and when I've made 8 return flights (ok, that will take a little while...) I get one free anwhere in Europe. So check that out as well.

I'm bidding on a bike on ebay at the moment, so fingers crossed. Only want an old second hand one because I'm not sure how much I'll get into it... I studied in Switzerland for a while and had one there which I loved - but everyone cycles there, so the traffic wasn't such an issue. Nice to hear that you've got used to it though, that's very reassuring. Anyway, if I'm successful on ebay I will buy a helmet and hopefully pick it up next week!

And well done on the hotel freebies! My boyfriend always wants me to put fruit and breadrolls in my handbag at breakfast, but I'm never brave enough - free fruit by the pool is a great idea.

Don't worry about the DVD, see it as a triumph you only bought one! (Do you ever get them from ebay? Never have myself because I'm not into them really, but I bet there are some bargains).

Talking of £900 amex bills, I'm having a bit of a wobble this month. I did so well in Jan and Feb that I feel I deserve a little spoiling... Do you think it's the start of a slippery slope? By the start of April I will (fingers crossed) have paid off £1982 since Christmas (got to find another £18 somewhere, haven't I?), but on the one hand I don't want to blow it, and on the other I think I deserve a reward! I've bought a new lamshade, a skirt and a dress so far this month, but they were all new from ebay and cost a total of £35.50 including postage (and that's less than what just the skirt should have cost!). But now I'm thinking of a new handbag for spring...

Anyway, enough of me taking over. Glad you had a great time, it sound brilliant, very jealous! And I hope your gran feels much better soon.
    Debt at highest Nov '06 £17,822.98
    Debt at LBM Nov '07 £14,231.63

DEBT FREE as of 01/01/09 now I have savings!!
  • deliciosa
    deliciosa Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    mouche wrote: »
    Oh I know how that feels! OH and I are not EU citizens so had to get visas for our trip to Brussels - £140 for the two of us. I think we will stick to sightseeing in the UK for a while now! Of course we have our India trip to look forward to. It only costs us the ticket cost coz our families don't let us spend a penny there!

Good for you for not spending in Gran. I just wrote 2 cheques (£100+£69) for my foot treatment. I had to get special insoles made for me but the 1st doctor said £300 and the second one did them for me for £69 so big savings!

Now I can walk without pain (mostly) again, I am thinking of joining a gym. Am going to LA Fitness Piccadilly for a trial today so wish me luck that I like it.

Thats a real pain, getting a visa to europe... your post just made me appreciate my eu citizenship, thank you! sorry you have to go through this but these requirements will probably loosen up soon, won't they.... I dont know if they are still so cautious or they just like making money on foreigners, either way its ridiculous.

But you're from india! it must be beautiful and I have never been and I guess its much prettier than brussels, so ;) ohh how i wish to go there one day.

Good luck at the gym, let us know what happened!
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • deliciosa
    deliciosa Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    dfw844 wrote: »
    Hi, Glad you enjoyed the hol!

Well done on the balance transfer, don't you just hate those pesky fees? Sound like you're doing really well on the Amex as well. Also, have you checked whether the airline you use does any loyalty scheme? My mum and dad live a long way away, and I always fly, and when I've made 8 return flights (ok, that will take a little while...) I get one free anwhere in Europe. So check that out as well.

I'm bidding on a bike on ebay at the moment, so fingers crossed. Only want an old second hand one because I'm not sure how much I'll get into it... I studied in Switzerland for a while and had one there which I loved - but everyone cycles there, so the traffic wasn't such an issue. Nice to hear that you've got used to it though, that's very reassuring. Anyway, if I'm successful on ebay I will buy a helmet and hopefully pick it up next week!

And well done on the hotel freebies! My boyfriend always wants me to put fruit and breadrolls in my handbag at breakfast, but I'm never brave enough - free fruit by the pool is a great idea.

Don't worry about the DVD, see it as a triumph you only bought one! (Do you ever get them from ebay? Never have myself because I'm not into them really, but I bet there are some bargains).

Talking of £900 amex bills, I'm having a bit of a wobble this month. I did so well in Jan and Feb that I feel I deserve a little spoiling... Do you think it's the start of a slippery slope? By the start of April I will (fingers crossed) have paid off £1982 since Christmas (got to find another £18 somewhere, haven't I?), but on the one hand I don't want to blow it, and on the other I think I deserve a reward! I've bought a new lamshade, a skirt and a dress so far this month, but they were all new from ebay and cost a total of £35.50 including postage (and that's less than what just the skirt should have cost!). But now I'm thinking of a new handbag for spring...

Anyway, enough of me taking over. Glad you had a great time, it sound brilliant, very jealous! And I hope your gran feels much better soon.

Hey, feel free to take over anytime. It must be fairly boring for the readers to read about me me me all the time! :o

First of all congratulations on being under 10k - well done, bet it's a milestone for you!!! :T :T If and when you get a bike you MUST buy a helmet, theres no point in saving on that. It can save your life if anything happens. Trust me. It only costs a few quid on amazon and you offset it by cycling in to work three times... and it lasts forever.

Ohh when I have a dvd cravin, I need it there and then... I know ebay would be more sensible. But hey that was one dvd in more than a month. :o

Why dont you set yourself a budget for the spring handbag? And save for it? And forget the dior couture collection :rotfl: topshop will do, they have nice spring bags!

x
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • dfw844
    Options
    I know, the spring handbags are so lovely this season! I think a budget might be a good idea. I've made loads of cash since Christmas - £149 selling old stuff on ebay and £47 on surveys, plus I'm waiting on about £60 cashback at the end of the month. So I feel I do deserve a treat - but I also think I should be throwing every last penny at the debt.

Won't it be great one day when if we just have the money we can buy it, and if we don't we won't. Because at the mo even when I feel like I've got money, really it's just 'available overdraft' which is not money, it's credit. Anyway, yes £10k felt very very good! I still can't believe it's that much to be honest. Getting everything paid of the credit cards (so it's just a loan that finishes in 18months and my overdrafts) will be the best feeling ever.

Yes, I'm ranting again, sorry! Totally know what you mean about the DVD, although with me it's usually Millie's Cookies I just have to have!
    No news on the bike front yet, but I will keep you posted. And I'm thinking £50 for the handbag, what do you reckon?

• mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now that's the advantage of not being an EU citizen - annual trips home to India where I can get really good bags for around £25 and less. Or pick up designer knock-offs if I want as well. I currently have Dior frames for my glasses. Look just like the real thing and cost me about £25 in India. :j
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • dfw844
    Options
    Hi, Hope you all enjoyed the break (even if you don't celebrate easter - do you still get to eat lots of easter eggs?!). I had a lovely time visiting family, it was great to catch up with everyone as I live a long way from most of them.

Anyway, just wanted to say a quick hi. I'm really busy at work at the mo, so haven't been around much - I see you've not been on for a bit so thought you might be snowed under too and appreciate a wave across the desk of paperwork! Still can't do symbols though - I'm working on it!

Oh, and I bought a handbag. £46. That's not too bad is it? I don't know how I've done it (oh yes I do, by sitting in and eating beans), but I might be under 9K by 1st April, it's a close run thing though, so no lovely starbucks for me until next month! xxx

• Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Deliciosa, how's it going - haven't 'seen' you around for a bit. Hope all is well with you.
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • dfw844
    Options
    Come back delish, come back!! xx

• miggy
    miggy Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    Options
    Just bumping this thread - does anyone know what happened to Del? She seemed to disappear suddenly :-( :confused:
    I have wondered a few times what happened.
    Miggy

MEMBER OF MIKE'S MOB!
    Every Penny a Prisoner

This article is about coffeehouse bartenders. For lawyers, see Barrister. (Wikipedia)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure