Deliciosa’s DFW diary

Options

Comments

• deliciosa
    deliciosa Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Snaggles wrote: »
    Some quick ideas for you then:

Flipflops - Asda are selling some plain-ish ones for £1.99, and some really cute ones for £2.99. I got mine free with a magazine last year (magazine was £2, and I LOVE them).

Dont have asda near. Lets hope primark have cheap ones too. Will check on Weds - wish me luck. dont mind if its not the prettiest, if it doesnt come apart after 4 days im fine with it :cool:

Books - have a look and see if any of the schools around you are having an Easter/Spring fair etc. I got loads of books for 10p each at my sons Xmas fair a couple of months ago, and they were virtually new. Managed to pick up quite a few light-holiday-reading type ones. Or borrow some books off a friend?

Will borrow + bring the ones at home that I haven't read yet, must be millions. :) I hereby commit to not buying any books for the holiday.

Suncream - Wilkinsons sell it quite cheaply, or what about Avon? Sometimes they have good offers on and I think you get Quidco cashback or Pigsback points on Avon purchases too.

Or just use my friend's! :rotfl: prob get some cheap from primark as can't wait for online delivery not enough time - travelling fri morn.

Moisturiser - I always tend to have small bottles of 'stuff' that I've got as part of a Xmas present, that I know I'll never use, and I often just empty one of these out and fill it with my normal moisturiser/shampoo/conditioner etc,to save space and money.

Fab idea - have loads of unused little stuff at home, from hotels etc... this problem is sorted!!! THANKS!

Jewellery - just take what you already have - if you don't tend to wear much at home, you probably wont on holiday either.

True. Will do.

Tights - if the weather is warm you wont need these - you've already spent money getting your legs tanned, so you may as well show them off! :D

Si. I am feeling much better!!!!
    Total debt £3625.07. :o
    Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
    I do not NEED that DVD Tough love club Member #1
  • deliciosa
    Options
    Ok guys, I have made a big big MSE step.
    Basically I applied for a MBNA 0% card and miracles and qwonders, first time in three years an application got ACCEPTED!!!
    This is a 3% BT card for 12 months. I have been approved and apparently card is on its way to me with £4000 limit.
    Now, before you say anything - this is not for extra credit! I willtransfer my debt to it so that I don’t pay interest.
    I arranged to transfer £1880 from HSBc (clear balance after this) then £500 from Amex (will clear balance after payday). I will also arrange for my M&S balance of £1190 to be transferred to it. This means £71 + £30ish fee £100 but then no interest for a whole year! Right now I am paying about £58 in interest (most of it HSBC) so the investment will "come back" in two months' time then no interest ever because I will pay it off before the 0% runs out.
    This is a big step for me. Once I get the card, the HSBC and the M&S will stay at home. M&S already staying at home = reason that I couldn’t transfer balance with the application, haha. What do you guys think? It was a good step wasn't it? Yay, yay, yay! I am happy about it. Finally a 0% card! And if I am happy with the service, I just call HSBC and give them the finger. Oh, how happy I will be to do it, finally nothing to do with HSBC anymore. How I hate 'em.

Goals: 1.) DFD December 2008 (snowball) / October 2008 (me:o ) 2.) Salary £30kpa (currently £26450pa) 3.) Slim down to 55kg (currently 68kg :( ) 4.) Start stoozing :j
  • deliciosa
    Options
    Now if I have a debt sitting on a 0% card, should I just leave it there & pay the minimum and keep the money I would be paying it off with on a savings a/c to get interest? YAY my new life has just begun!!!!!! I am so happy I got accepted.

I tell you here and now that there wil be NO spending on the M&S card (maybe a few pounds every two months to keep it alive, I might need it one day) and the card will live in my drawer. Actually, it has been living there for the last year or so..

I further commit not to spend ANYTHING on the HSBC card (maybe a few pounds a month to keep it alive IF I want it alive) and the card will live in my drawer.

I further commit to spend only just as much on amex as would be my monthly budget on debit card (to acquire miles) and pay it back in full by the penny every single month. I set my monthly amex budget (for everything) at £500. this includes the off flight to see family, plus synagogue costs, and everything really, bills apart from rent. This is manageabe, because if I do this, I can spend the rest (£350) putting on a savings a/c and when the 0% runs out, I can service the debt with that!

What do you think? SPOTLESS PLAN!!!!
  • deliciosa
    Options
    just one qwuestion, I forgot to say to the guy - would I get charged interest on the balance transfer fee??? :O does it usually work like that? or not?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    deliciosa wrote: »
    THANK YOU AGAIN!!!! I can't believe I bawled over this for hours yesterday!!!! I'll get the money back tomorrow!

See...so next time instead of crying alone over a problem, you'll come here and ask about it.

Could have said what I said yesterday...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Oh sod it. I messed up big time last week.

So there, please feel free to come and tell me off, I totally deserve it.

Spend diary.

Then you can see it happening, when it's happening, and not just when the bill comes in...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Now if I have a debt sitting on a 0% card, should I just leave it there & pay the minimum and keep the money I would be paying it off with on a savings a/c to get interest?

In short yes.
    I tell you here and now that there wil be NO spending on the M&S card (maybe a few pounds every two months to keep it alive, I might need it one day) and the card will live in my drawer. Actually, it has been living there for the last year or so..

I further commit not to spend ANYTHING on the HSBC card (maybe a few pounds a month to keep it alive IF I want it alive) and the card will live in my drawer.

So this is going to be two virtually empty cards waiting around for "emergencies" - what emergencies are you expecting that will require so much money for, in such a short space of time that a loan can't be arranged?

In order of likelihood if you can...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Don't you just hate Zed's logic when it's not in your favour! :rotfl:

Although it kind of IS in your favour I suppose. But oooh, he's strict isn't he... ;)
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options

"No I won't spend on them - oh ok maybe a little."

Heard that too many times - this is how people get into bigger and bigger and bigger debt.

NO - you do not need to spend on them to keep them alive. NO - you don't need to keep them alive.

Only pay the minimum IF you are disciplined enough NEVER to dip into the 'savings' you are putting away until the 10th/11th month. If you don't put anything away to pay off a lump sum at the end because you're spending it when you have it, or you dip into it so much that there's nothing left, then you haven't gained a thing.

Cut your other cards up - even before the balances are clear.
    Pay off as much as you can afford to pay every month - get rid of this debt!
  • deliciosa
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    In short yes.

So this is going to be two virtually empty cards waiting around for "emergencies" - what emergencies are you expecting that will require so much money for, in such a short space of time that a loan can't be arranged?

In order of likelihood if you can...

So what's the problem again with having credit cards and not using them? :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport