Orange customer with Iphone been charge £1.25 for Image contents from mobie village

Options

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...They can't tell what it is (which is very frustrating)
    What caused this or what the charges are for? If the latter they are talking rubbish. They (Orange) charge you and they perfectly know what they charge you for and on behalf of what scumbags.
  • minhp
    minhp Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    How/Where can I report the ill practice of this company? They must have stolen people mobile phone numbers and subscribed them without the owners' consent.

I called Orange to ask them escalating the matter. But the representatives said they cannot do anything about this. They only suggest me to contact that company directly.

I realised that I was the victim this month. I can never recall how I subscribed to them in the first place. All I got is the text said that I was subscribed to them and text STOP to 60113 to unsubscribe. I thought it was a scam so I ignored it. About 2 months after, I noticed the bill went up.
  • jarotoouk
    Options
    I spotted some charges while I was looking at my bill this morning.

Seven charges, all for £1.25 (exc VAT) and labelled "application"

At first I thought I'd bought something from Playstore (Android) until I noticed the 6 other charges.

Orange bod said he couldn't do anything as the charges were applied by a third party company, so I'd have to get in touch with them direct.

I called the number they gave me and spoke to Aaron (albeit a very Arabic sounding Aaron) who cancelled the subscription while I was on the line, then proceeded to tell me how I'd have subscribed.

apparently, I clicked a banner ad, then ticked a box to activate my subscription. I would then have received a text outlining my charge plan. with cancellation details.

The actual text reads: "(FreeMSg) Download unlimited Games & Apps @ playplanet.mobivillage.com. See FAQs for info. 1st week free then £1.50/week until you reply stop. Help 02087724859"

No sign there of me having already agreed to anything!!

A month later I get a second message "(FreeMsg) Get your UNLIMITED Games&Apps from Playplanet @ playplanet.mobivillage.com Cost £1.50/week. Don’t want ultd Games&Apps? Reply stop. Help 02087724859"

Again, no sign that I was already being charged for their "service", which I told him.

He did then say that the check box "may" have been automatically checked when I pressed the banner ad, depending on which webpage I was directed to!!

Anyway, he gave me an email address to dispute the charges, which I have done just now. ("playplanetuk@buongiorno.com")

I'll let you know how it goes, although I'm not hopeful!
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    thegoodman wrote: »
    If you have any of the Android phones, this type of malware is very common, less common with iPhones and windows phones.
    See the link below
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3983087

Try to double check apps before installing them.

How can the OP double check the iphone apps, he mentioned he has an iphone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just found 8 charges of £1.50 (£1.25+vat) on my orange bill under "application." I don't use games, horoscopes etc so It wasn't down to me. Orange CS said it was a weekly text service called "Mobivillage" I had subscribed to and gave me there phone number. He said there was no way Orange could refund the charges. I asked to speak to a manager and a lovely chap called Geoff rang me back.

Apparently it is a well known fiddle, not just affecting Orange. He refunded the charges (only managers can do this apparently.)
  • john1
    john1 Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2012 at 8:03PM
    Options
    At times I wonder if UK industry regulators like OFCOM have users / customers as a first priority

For instance
    Response to Ofcom’s PRS Scope Review on behalf of Orange Personal Communications Services Ltd 24 July 2009 NOTE the date

Question 6.18: Do you agree with the options identified regarding call barring facilities?
    ORANGE Response We do not believe that there is any requirement for regulation in this area.
    Orange already offers 09 call barring services without regulation and we do not believe it would be
    appropriate or proportionate to regulate for shortcode barring. There are low levels of use of
    call barring, even though it is widely available (86% do not use call barring) and the
    expected costs of implementing shortcode barring are expected to be high.
    Significant investment would be required to implement shortcode barring on our network. In
    order to mitigate this, any barring facilities would have to be introduced during our regular
    platform upgrade cycles, rather than as a bespoke change required by regulation. However,
    before Ofcom pursues this option, as with PCAs, there is a need for a full and rigorous cost
    benefit analysis in the first instance.

Orange have recently extensively upgraded their network are pushing OFCOM to allow 4G operation on existing frequencies. So from 2009 to 2012 the have ample time for a full and rigorous cost benefit analysis.

The Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority (FICORA) have a requirement for operators to offer a FREE barring service for unnecessary and expensive phone services including SMS see
    http://www.viestintavirasto.fi/en/index/puhelin/laskutusjakulujenhallinta/kulujenhallinta/estopalvelut.html

12 months ago I requested Orange to bar all short code text messages being received on my phone Initially they said it could not be done however eventually after prolonged discussion they "noted my concerns" and so far I have not received any short code messages.
    It is possible for an operator to bar all short code messages if they want as it in the GSM specification.

As Finland have done so should OFCOM regarding UK mobile subscribers.

Incidentially from the Orange UK website
    http://www1.orange.co.uk/about/contact/spam/ send your spam to us

If you get spam messages, please forward them to 7726 free from your Orange phone. By doing this you are helping Orange to collate information to help reduce spam messages being sent to you and others.

Apparently Vodafone score 100% as they offer a "unsolicited reverse charge premium rate short code SMS bar' on your account., the bar will stop any further short code messages being sent to your number.
  • Nala1234
    Options
    How disgusting!!!

I pay for my sisters orange mobile and she has been charged no less than £51 since November 2011.

Called Orange who said they can't do anything and gave me a phone number to call 020 8772 4859. Lady on phone said that she's cancelled the subscription to 'igames' (that was never subscribed to!) and gave me an email address for refund request bgamesuk@buongiorno.com - Just sent the email so await a reply and will update to let you all know. After reading the posts here also asked my sister to text STOP to 60113 - got the standard reply as most people saying 'error you are not subscribed to this service'. Sister is on iphone 4.

Had a similar issue with my brothers orange phone about a year ago. He had a samsung at the time. It was a different company that had taken it upon themselves to subscribe him to their un-required services and had charged about £60 in total; unfortunately I was never able to get any of that money back.

In addition to these issues orange absolutely has been sucky over the last year with issues after issue!

Needless to say none of my 6 lines with Orange will be renewed! and I will never recommend or go back to them!

Orange sucks!

That is all!

:)
  • Zeldazog
    Zeldazog Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MobiVillage

I''ve sorted and settled this issue now, but I can assure you, unequivocally that I did *not* sign up or opt-in for any of your services or agree to any terms and conditions (certainly not as transparent as you make it sound).

I downloaded apps from the Andriod Market Place (as it was called then) - can any of your services be linked to anything there?

I ignore any texts that come through offering services of any kind (games, horoscopes, accident claims) - if by ignoring them, I am deemed to have subscribed, then I certainly didn't actively join a service.

The only thing I can say is that I wasn't being charged until my phone had come back from repair - the charge started a couple of days after this but I honestly and genuinely never subscribed to any of your services.
  • impasto
    impasto Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hello everybody,

I never check any phone bills - but luckily did today.

I have been charged £1.25 weekly since April for a "phantom" service which I definitely did not subscribe to.

Orange has refunded me - however IT IS NOT ENOUGH - Orange has a CONTRACTUAL DUTY (See the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982) to provide their service with due care and attention and allowing fraudulent transactions (without duly vetting the companies and worse, taking money off customers) means they are in BREACH OF THEIR CONTRACT with us, the consumers and their customers.

I am taking this to a legal adviser for further advice and will report back. But please spread the word.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHASE THIS KIND OF THING. IT IS ORANGE's RESPONSIBILITY and legally, since they breached their obligations, Orange is liable for damages, which means apart from a refund, they should refund you the COST OF THE PHONE CALLS TO THEM, calls to 3rd parties to investigate as well as compensation for your time spent.

As for the "THIRD PARTY" companies. If they are able to be traced, (And one would expect Orange to have proper traceable details for their suppliers), they are guilty of a CRIMINAL OFFENCE in terms of the Consumer Protection Against Unfair Trading 2008.

This means they can be prosecuted and fined or imprisoned.
  • Humu
    Humu Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi thanks for all the posts, they were very helpful. I have had the same problem £13.00 in three months. I never signed up to any of these alters and dont even receive them. I just got of the phone with Orange, got a refund no problems, and asked them to escalate, they claim to be completly unaware this was a chronic problem. I sent a stop message to 60113 so lets see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure