Charge for copies of my bank statements

Options

Comments

• matthead
    matthead Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    HI There,

I have just been on the phone to the Woolwich (Barclays) and have asked them for a statement of payment and charges for the life of the mortgage, I was told that If I want this information I would be charged £25:00 for each year, now my mortgage dates back to 1990 as you will be aware it gonna cost me almost £500:00

Can they do this??.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes they can, if you ask for statements they will charge for it. If you send the template in Martin's article for a SAR request and enclose £10 they have to provide all the information you require.
  • matthead
    matthead Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your QUICK Response..
  • rjm2k1
    rjm2k1 Posts: 650 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you asked if they cap the charge?
  • challiban
    Options
    Hi there, I rang Halifax credit card dept today asking for the last 6 years of statements and they told me its £5 a sheet up to a maximum of £100!!

I thought the maximum was £10 can anyone elaborate?
  • Stokey125
    Stokey125 Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    challiban wrote: »
    Hi there, I rang Halifax credit card dept today asking for the last 6 years of statements and they told me its £5 a sheet up to a maximum of £100!!

I thought the maximum was £10 can anyone elaborate?

A request for the statements under the Data Protection Act is £10 an ordinary request for copy statements is acording to banki policy. Write back making the request under the Data Protection Act
    As I am not the Pope or legally qualified I may be wrong so feel free to get a second opinion from a qualified person
  • maxie_max
    Options
    I've requested bank statments covering the last 6 years from Lloyds TSB and they've told me I will have to pay £10 for each year. Is this correct please?

Maxie max
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is if you have put a request for the bank statements as such in. You need to make your request for list of charges under the Data Protection Act. Please see Martin's article for the template letter.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Oniwocl
    Options
    I'm trying to claim back credit card charges so I have contacted my bank to get copies of the last 6 years of statements. They tell me that they charge £6 per statement !!!!!!!!!!! which would obviously cost a fair amount. This is clearly an unfair tactic to put off would be claimers but I would like to know if it is legal. This website states that the max they can charge is £10 total (presumably). Has anybody else had a similar experience?
    Oh by the way if you're wondering the name of the bank..........

Lloyds TSB!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • smitchy73
    smitchy73 Posts: 2,558 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oniwocl,This is a classic mistake, what you have to do is ask for a 'list of charges' not a list of statements, if you read the main article on the main website it will tell you all of this, if you ask for a list of charges then some will do this, however if they are unable to do this, you are WILLING to accept copies of your statements, BUT as per data laws the maximum they can charge you for this is £10.See the main article and letter one for bank charges it has it all in there.Hope this helps ya.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport