Charge for copies of my bank statements

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its not unfair at all. You try sitting through 6 years of microfiche digging out statement data to order. It used to be the job no-one wanted to do as it was fiddly and time consuming.

BUT as per data laws the maximum they can charge you for this is £10.

Wrong. That applies to data protection access requests and not provision of duplicate statements which has nothing to do with data protection rules.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Wrong. That applies to data protection access requests and not provision of duplicate statements which has nothing to do with data protection rules.

Which is why the OP needs to make the request for charge information under the Data Protection Act using the template letter.

The maximum charge for this will be £10, which you need to enclose with your request, although some banks have waived this.

If you simply ask for statements, they will charge you per statement/sheet.
  • Takeem
    Options
    Hi,

I have just spoken to barclaycard customer care and they have just told me that if I want to get all my statements from the last 4 1/2 years that they will charge me £3 per statement! Is this correct? I thought the maximum was £10 for all statements

Does any one know? If it is £3 per statement it hardly seems worth doing if Im going to only probably try and reclaim about £200 worth of charges

Thanks
  • Laines
    Options
    I have seen the "reclaiming credit card charges" page that banks can charge £10 to send replacement bank statements. Is this a total amount or per statement?
    First Direct are asking for £20.00 for 22 statements and Egg are asking for £2 per statement.
  • Orford
    Orford Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First Direct are asking for £20.00 for 22 statements and Egg are asking for £2 per statement.

These are prices for requests for copy statements.

A DPA request will produce the same information for £10. see here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges#step2
  • borgbaiter
    borgbaiter Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    hi

thats £10 for ALL statments or if you prefer All information they have on you. not per statement.

borgbaiter
    claimed/settled - Natwest £2,535/£2,535, HSBC visa £80/£80, MBNA £1,258/£1,258, capital one £282/£282, tesco visa £515/£515, HSBC visa £140/£140. HSBC £1,450 MCOL Stayed for OFT case. Chelsea Mortgage charges & cashback £5000/£672. complaints with banks pending OFT Halifax £30, A&L £35. TOTALS £11,325/£5482
  • nufsaid
    nufsaid Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    hi,
    i sent off the generic reclaim bank charge letters and have been asked to pay for the information. it's £5.00 total for all accounts. not much, but is this normal practice when challenging the bank for charges?

or is the bank legally bound to give the information to the customer?

thanks
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    £10 is the statutory maximum fee for DPA requests. They can charge you less, but not more.

Yes, they are legally bound to give you the information, but only in exchange for the £10 maximum fee.

I got a wad of stuff 3 inches thick from one bank when I did it.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Knackered
    Knackered Posts: 243 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    When demanding statements from your bank do you have to send a cheque or do they debit it straight from your account?
  • johnnynonails
    Options
    Knackered wrote: »
    When demanding statements from your bank do you have to send a cheque or do they debit it straight from your account?
    hi knackered, i wrote a cheque out to lloyds tsb for my statements they cashed it then the next month took out another tenner 4 them , so id be carefull wiv tsb if its wiv them , but have send cheques for the rest and nps jill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure