Charge for copies of my bank statements

Options

Comments

• kellymundy
    kellymundy Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Hi mrs-mel,
    It is actually only a one off payment, not a payment per statement. If your bank has told you any different then you might want to call the FO and have a chat with them about your bank telling you inaccurate information.
    Just write a letter to your bank asking for the last 6 years worth of statements and put a cheque for 10 pounds in with it stating that this is to pay for the required charge for this service.
    Good Luck!:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanx Kelly thats great and I will get straight onto it :-)
  • karenvnut
    karenvnut Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I think the trick is not to ask for statements but to ask for a list of charges for the past six years. The bank may only be able to produce the list of charges by sending you bank statements. But that is their problem and they normally waive the fee completely. My cheque was never cashed!
    Good Luck
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kellymundy wrote: »
    Hi mrs-mel,
    It is actually only a one off payment, not a payment per statement. If your bank has told you any different then you might want to call the FO and have a chat with them about your bank telling you inaccurate information.
    Just write a letter to your bank asking for the last 6 years worth of statements and put a cheque for 10 pounds in with it stating that this is to pay for the required charge for this service.

Not strictly true in that you must use the template letter in Martin's article where you are asking for all information held on you under the DPA and enclose the £10 cheque for this.

If you write to the bank and ask for copy statements they are quite entitled to, and do, charge per statement.
  • kellymundy
    kellymundy Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by kellymundy viewpost.gif
    Hi mrs-mel,

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Not strictly true in that you must use the template letter in Martin's article where you are asking for all information held on you under the DPA and enclose the £10 cheque for this.

If you write to the bank and ask for copy statements they are quite entitled to, and do, charge per statement.

Sorry Edinburghlass,
    me assuming that people got here the same way as me, that was by searching for templates for this sort of thing through google so already have the template for the letter needed from Martin.
    The impression i got though from mrs-mel was that she already had the template and was only concerned that she would be charged 10 pound per statement still, despite using the template, in which case what i said was true.
    To clarify for mrs-mel, if you are using Martins' template letter then enclose a 10 pound cheque with it as they will not be able to charge you more than that for this service.
  • Fwoggie2
    Options
    Hello, I'm confused and wondered if someone can advise.

I've finally gotten round to starting to claim from my bank (A&L), and my credit card (Virgin).

A&L said they'd send me a letter, I sign it, send a cheque for £10, they'll take 40 days to post the statements through from when I opened up. Job's a good 'un.

I called up Virgin, they said they'd send 6 months for free, but if I want the rest all the way back to 2002 when I opened it, it would be £2.50 per month, which they reckon = £165(!) :eek:_pale_ That can't be right, can it?!
  • elite_2
    elite_2 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    I beleive under the data protection act they have to provide all the information they hold about you (inc statements) for a single fee of £10.

I'm sure someone more qualified will be along shortly...
  • millow
    millow Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    You need to go on to the main site and click on reclaim bank charges all the template letters are there and ive just cut and pasted this off the letter under request statements:"...Please find enclosed a cheque for the maximum statutory charge of £10. If you are unable to provide this data, I will accept a copy of my statements going back six years; I understand that statements on their own are not covered by the Data Protection Act 1998, yet I’m not requesting the statements per se, but the charges, which I’m entitled to by law..."This states that by law it is a maximum of £10 charge for duplicate copies of all statements for the last 6 years.Hope this helps - remember stick to time scales and send everything recorded, so it covers you and they can not say that they never received it!!Good Luck
  • sleener
    sleener Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    In my case i went into NATWEST and asked for 7 yrs records and the guy fillend in a form and i signed it i was told i would recieve the statements within two weeks. Two weeks passed and i gave them 3 extra days nothing turned up. I phoned customer services and asked why I had not recieved my records after 17 days :confused: they checked my account and said that no statement had been ordered even though they had taken the 10 pounds from my acc for the statements:confused: They said sorry and that they would order the statement for me then and that it would take another 2 weeks:mad: to send statements, I asked for and recieved a refund of the 10 pounds they had taken originally. :beer: and obviosly no charge for the new statement
    A few days later i recieved my full statement back to start of acc 5yrs worth :T Only to recieve a duplicate set of statement a week or so later:rolleyes: what a bunch of n00bs I hope they use recycled paper;)

Good luck to all Money Savers claiming their Money Back specially all them Nastywest Customers
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    We do use recycled paper you will be pleased to know, and we go back a lot further than 7 years as well. I can guess that the statements started October 2002? (I am not mystic Meg by the way, but I know why it happens). £10 is something called Subject Access Request NOT statements(they should have cost only £5). SAR would be much more enjoyable. Every piece of data that the bank hold on you forever and ever which is in a relevant filing system.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family