Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 62

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 26 October 2011 at 6:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 90.7K views

Replies

• SpikyHedgehogSpikyHedgehog Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    With the Sainsbugs vouchers for spending over a certain amount, we've got 3 Sains. stores in my town, the small one in town centre (and I remember when that was all!), the bigger one near us that also sell women's & children's clothing & the huge one on the other side of town that sells clothes for everyone + lots of home stuff. Last time I had a double points if I spent over £100, it was at the end of September (pay day!) & they had 25% off clothes.

Now, it is me & the 2 boys so it's easier to spend more :o (hence the need for the grocery challenge!), so we got the bus to the one on the other side of town after school on the Friday (almost an hour, but I needed both boys to get a family ticket for £3), ate dinner in the cafe as pay day treat, then shopped, getting clothes as well & stuff to put away for Christmas that took it over £100 (umm, when I say over £100, I actually mean almost £200, boy do I need to get in charge of my spending!), then a taxi home at a couple of pounds more than a taxi home from nearest store.

I'd got DS1 a lovely warm dressing gown in man-size as his old one was too short for his long legs, reduced school sweatshirts for DS2 for next school year (nearest Sains. doesn't sell the colour for his school) & some much needed bras for me, so did manage to keep that to only what I wanted to get...

I'd do it again if we needed the clothes or other wonder stuff only sold over there, but be more disciplined with the list - I think I need to give the boys some cash in advance & say 'If you want something, use that or put it on the list to think about for next week', because Xb0x games should not count as groceries...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hello All, :hello:

Can't believe it's a week since I've been on - time is just flying by.

We had a big MrT delivery last weekend which came in at £80.93 including delivery. But that shop was done purely against a list of what we needed versus the offers that were available so a total of multibuy/offer savings of £50+ which I was quite pleased with. I can't see us needing to buy baked beans or tinned tomatos until 2012 after it! :rotfl:

Similarly we are fully stocked up on dried fruit and tea. I will need to get some instant coffee at some point and there are some other bits and pieces needed such as honey but I'll hang on as long as I can with those.

We've had a couple of other spends this week locally at the coop and greengrocers and the sig is fully up to date. I'm not sure whether we'll be buying anything today and so have got the sig updated to yesterday.

Everyone seems to be doing very well so keep up the brilliant work, you know it makes sense! ;)

See you all later,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Morning all. Hope you're all having a lovely weekend. I am currently enjoying a late morning with the laptop eating breakfast in bed and have the house to myself...bliss. Have lots of jobs to do before I catch the bus to town but am not spending any GC money. Have a few spends to report..wednesday OH went to sains for teabags and DD's shampoo and conditioner which I'd forgotten to buy in big shop on monday and managed to hit the reduction time and got 2 packs of plaice fillets and 2 packs of mince for 70p each so that'll mean no meat buying this weeks shop. That came to £6.20. Then on thursday I spent £9.48 in M&S on a car picnic as we were driving to a gig after work and wouldn't have time for work and then also £1.40 on chips for my lunch as was absolutely starving for some reason. Yesterday OH spent money in A*sda on car cleaning stuff but also got bacon and eggs for brekkies this morning and his yukkie sports drinks for his 1/2 marathon today. No idea how much he spent so I won't include it..that can be his treat:D.

Planning a "big Shop" on monday again for the week and wrote a menu plan already and really the bill should be no more than £25-£30 fingers crossed. Will be hoping for a few NSD's that week to keep me on target.

saterday- salmon thai noodles
    hm popcorn for the xfactor!!
    sunday - spicy sausage casserole and mash
    apple and raspberry crumble ( using up apples in fruit bowl!!)
    monday - falafels and salad
    LO Crumble
    tuesday - Baked potatoes and baked beans
    wed - Spaghetti Bol ( in SC)
    thursday- Veggie shepherds Pie from freezer
    Friday - Plaice chips and mushy peas
    Sat - Gnocchi in roast red pepper and parsley pesto and salad
    sunday - not sure yet!!
    tuesday
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Morning all - been to do the shopping this morning and popped in to B&M's for the first time and was amazed by some of the prices! Really is half the price of Mr T's for some things!

I spent £10.68 there and just £1.79 at the supermaket after £8.50 of CC vouchers had been taken off so a total of £12.47 on groceries this week!:j That included dog food, toothpaste and toothbrush and a few weekend treats too:T

I also picked up a box of Mr T's version of after eights for Xmas for some reason reduced to 50p! They may be changing the packaging or something for Xmas I guess? Anyway, a good find! They're squirrelled away in the Xmas stash before I get tempted!
    Will update the sig in a minute but am on target so far:beer:
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • Well I'm back - and have been reminded of why I never go to the sm on a Sat (finish early on a Wednesday so usually go then) - honestly over 1/2 an hour to get through the checkout:mad:. 1/2 of them were closed - must do a search as Mr A used to have a guarantee to have all their checkouts open during certain hours (think it was 10 - 4) on a Saturday - obviously not any more!

They also seem to be "at it" with the rollbacks again - got some washing gel which was rolled back from £3.50 to £3 ... but it only ever used to be £3 :mad::mad: (and not long since I've bought it). IMVHO, it's a sneaky way of hiding price increases!

I make that roughly a 16% price increase - inflation's nowhere near that so how can they justify that!:mad:

Having been - I'm now more convinced to try one big online shop / month and then just pop in for fresh stuff.

Anyway, another £23.01 to add bringing me very close to target at £95.43 / £100 - will be going over this month but the good news is that I have enough meat to last a couple of months which should reduce next month's bill (hopefully!:)).
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I have spent another £43.86 in various shops this week. Funds are a bit tight with Christmas coming, so really need to shop where the bargains are.
    I hope everyone else is doing ok.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi chums I went to my friends quilting exibition (got in for free) and had another freebie (cuppa and a piece of carrot cake ) spent £1.00 on some lucky dip tickets and won a decent sized teddy with tartan ears and bow tie (it will go in with other bits for my youngest grandson at Christmas plus two lots of soap one of which was hand made and in a beautiful parchment case .So a few more odds and ends for the chistmas 'tree' pressies.Then on the way home I stopped off at
    L%dls and bought a packet of their 4 pork chops. They look really nice and are very lean, cost me £1.89 so thats four more dinners in the freezer at under 50p each.Then just before I arrived home I went into Mr Ts to pick up the very few bits I had on my emergency list of 'must haves' and so today I have spent a grand total of £5.53 making it £14 .47 since the 1st of the month so I am really pleased with how frugal I have been this month.
    I have a couple of dozen sausage rolls to make tomorrow for the family 'do' for my DGS Danny and a bit of baking to do later today but I am pleased that I have only been inside the shops three times this month and everytime I have not been tempted to spend more than I needed to.My 'food purse is still full of cash at the moment and I am eating up stuff from the freezer I only bought the pork chops because at that price I would have been silly not to i only hope they are as good as they look.Lunch was veggies soup and crusty bread I'm not sure what dinner tonight will be but probably 'freezer roulette'
    6 weeks tomorrow is Christmas Day but lots of folk seem to be waiting a bit before buying much
  • £11.60 added today spent by OH at the Co Op. Quite expensive for what he got but can't really complain because I am not feeling well so I left him to it.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Right, I decided to properly sort out my money, so I made an excel spreadsheet for the whole year, and put it everything (absolutely everything!) that I have/will spent.

I said in my first post for this month that I would start the budget on payday, 28th October. But I have decided that each month my grocery challenge will be from the first to the last day of each month, regardless of when payday is (makes it easier to track on my spreadsheet).

So, my budget from the month still stands at £100, but the expensive weekend I had at the end of October now comes under October's grocery budget and not November's budget (makes sense?).

Maybe it is me just trying to justify how much I have spent this month! I havent been too frivolous, its just that there were so many good offers/whoopsies in Te$co on things that I use, but I do have a very full freezer and larder cupboard.

So, this month so far I have spent £77.01, leaving me £22.99 to spend. I know it is still only 12th, and there is still a large chunk of November left, but I am determined to use up my freezer food before christmas, and not spend anymore money.

I hope everyone is doing better than myself!!
  • pepsi-kinspepsi-kins Forumite
    94 posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    Hi all,
    Took mum to Mr A this afternoon, in the queue for the checkouts and the tills went down, not accepting cards, everyone was getting so stressy, it wasn't as though they had planned it just to nark everyone off! it was soon sorted though. Only spent £16, had a few minimal shops during the week, spent about £25 in total, but my freezer is looking dire, so will have to go to the farm shop in the next week or so.

have a good week everyone x
    2019 G/C £3072.39
    Vouchers: £352.61

2020 G/C £2460.62
    Vouchers:£217.25/Ipsos £33.24