Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 61

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 26 October 2011 at 6:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 90.7K views

Replies

• Hi all, I've been trying to shop sunday-sunday, but as I went by the co op earlier I saw the girls reducing the bread...and bread was on my list for sunday, lol. I got 1 wholemeal, 1 med white, 1 thick white, pack of croissants(for a treat for the kids for brekkie) 2 packs of mini tortilla wraps, pack of 4 seeded baps, all now in the freezer. I also spotted pork shoulder joints on at half price, so seeing as DH wants pork for christmas dinner I now have one of those stashed in the freezer too!!! All for the grand total of £9.14. I shall add that to the few bits I need to still get on sunday. I'll also update sig shortly. have a good weekend everyone x
    freecycler and skip diver extraordinnaire:cool:
  • Just popping my head round the door to report no spends on groceries again today :D Hope everyone else is doing well and keeping to budget - remember if you are struggling that at least you are aware of how much you are spending now and controlling it instead of letting it control you :)
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • :wave:

No more spending, just wanted to say hello :) x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Like you Sainsbugs have targeted me through the Nectar card thingy, but they must have noticed my reduction in spending in their stores, now that I have the time to go to @ldi and L!dl, as the savings are now against a £50 shop as opposed to the £70/£80 shop that they used to offer - Sainsbugs GET REAL what single person spends that amount each week in the supermarket. But at least I may take advantage of the offer for two of the four weeks with Christmas coming up :D

Me! I spend about £60 but I feed 5 cats as well!:D
  • Just popping in to report £1.66 on After Eight Mints
    Majority of which have now been consumed. Need to cut down before i have a weight problem to go with my budgeting problems
    January grocery challenge £159.43/£250.00
    February grocery challenge £209.53/£200.00
    March grocery challenge £165.66/£190
    April grocery challenge £186.27/£170.00
    May grocery challenge £22.51/£180.00
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • rej-crej-c Forumite
    115 posts
    Just popping in to say that I've just realised I've got a bit mixed up over the past couple of days with what money's been spent from which section of my wallet on which items [long days at work have left me a bit tired and careless at the shops] :o so I'll be back tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake and with it to work out the tangle and update my totals. Given said carelessness at the shops, I fear it won't be very on-target...
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • SpikyHedgehogSpikyHedgehog Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I spent £44.01 yesterday in M0rris0ns, purposefully going over £40 so I can get their free £25 for Christmas :o yes I am a sucker for offers! But what I did was look at my shopping list, and had 2 separate groups of stuff in the trolley: the stuff on the list; and the 'Hmm, that would be nice & help make up that £40...' stuff. And I put them on the belt like that & said to the lady, 'I want to check how much I've spent before putting any of that through as I've only picked it up to make sure I spend £40.'

The extras I got took me from £34.77 to £44 and were washing up liquid (61p) ('cos we know I'll need it!); wrapping paper, tissue paper & ribbon to send into DS2's school for the class hamper (each class puts together a hamper of donations & they're raffled off at the Christmas fair) (total £2.70); cough syrup on offer at £3.69 and toilet roll (still half price at £2.24).

I left the scented candles and other frivolities ;). (For another day...) Next week, I'll have to get stuff for DS1's birthday party, so I'll certainly be over £40 then!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • edited 12 November 2011 at 10:02AM
    JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 12 November 2011 at 10:02AM
    Hit £87.32 last night with a £4 spend in A$da while meeting DD from work, just milk and the huge multipack of doritos. £62.68 to go.

I have a £5 of £40 A$da coupon to use before 24th but OH gets paid on Tuesday so will probably use it to get some of the Christmas stuff in though there still isn't much space in the freezer even though I'm trying to run it down ready for the goodies:D

Got my Te$co vouchers this week - all £3 of them - plus a £3 off a £20 spend, so went to store on Thursday evening on the way home from work and used them up. I'm going to have them saved up for Christmas next year as it is not worth getting them in such small amounts as I can never double them up this way.
    Actually I waiting for some A$da vouchers so will hang onto my £40 spend the last day to see if they turn up.
    Edit - postie just brought the vouchers - says in the small print can't be used with other offer so may not bother with the £5 one as I have trouble reaching 40.

Not doing too bady overall but can't see me coming in on budget especially if OH goes to cosco next week:rotfl:
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just poking my head around the door to say that I havn,t given up, I havn,t had a chance to add up my receipts yet, hopefully later today:D

Hope everyones ok and doing well with their budgets xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Like you Sainsbugs have targeted me through the Nectar card thingy, but they must have noticed my reduction in spending in their stores, now that I have the time to go to @ldi and L!dl, as the savings are now against a £50 shop as opposed to the £70/£80 shop that they used to offer - Sainsbugs GET REAL what single person spends that amount each week in the supermarket. But at least I may take advantage of the offer for two of the four weeks with Christmas coming up :D

I'm the same - I struggle to spend that much in one go (when I'm being careful that is:D). I've had a couple of £10 off £50 shops recently as a new online customer (so have done some serious stocking up) but would get no-where near that usually.
    pipersky wrote: »
    remember if you are struggling that at least you are aware of how much you are spending now and controlling it instead of letting it control you :)

Thanks Piper, that's so true - I may go over now & then but I'm spending a lot less than I used to!

I'm going to venture to a real life sm for the first time in around 9 weeks today:eek: - bit worried that having things in front of me will prove too tempting but only need a few bits (stuff for lunches as I'm going back to work on Monday:j , milk etc) so hoping I'll "be good".

Will report back later on!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!