Harveys sofa won't fit - customer service shocking!

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for Furniture Village. Not only did they take the lights down in my hall to get my new sofas in, but managed to get the old one out when we'd tried everything.
    I was so pleased with the service, I called to tell them.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • pauletruth
    pauletruth Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Options
    getting old furniture out is dead easy. two teenage lads with hammers. you just have stop them before they start on the house.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pauletruth wrote: »
    getting old furniture out is dead easy. two teenage lads with hammers. you just have stop them before they start on the house.

That's how we got the first one out. I wouldn't let my husband do that to the second one.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    One of the main selling point of the sofa's we bought was the modular construction, where base, back and arms are separate hardwood upholstered sections which bolt together. We moved into a large flat where access is via a small lift, and both sofas fitted in the lift in pieces. and have a long (10 yr) guarantee (which we have used after a spring failure which they attended and replaced). They're 6 years old and look like new.

http://www.delcor.co.uk/

Couldn't really recommend them more, we had a 10 year guarantee, but the website says the new models are 20 years and made in the uk.
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a Harveys thread on here as one of my first ever. I wrote them a letter; gave them a deadline, and threatened to turn up at their store to give out copies of the letter. They sorted it.

Here was the thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2443527&highlight=harveys
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
  • ashleypride
    Options
    flimsier wrote: »
    I had a Harveys thread on here as one of my first ever. I wrote them a letter; gave them a deadline, and threatened to turn up at their store to give out copies of the letter. They sorted it.

Here was the thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2443527&highlight=harveys

Not sure how this comment is relevant? In your thread Harveys clearly messed you around, in this thread Harveys haven't done anything wrong. The OP here needs to accept her responsibility and sort out the issue, not make more of a fool of herself.
  • NiallB
    NiallB Posts: 730 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pauletruth wrote: »

Some are better made than you'd think, took me and g/f an hour and a half with a hammer and a nailbar to deconstruct her mum's old one last week :cool:
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure how this comment is relevant? In your thread Harveys clearly messed you around, in this thread Harveys haven't done anything wrong. The OP here needs to accept her responsibility and sort out the issue, not make more of a fool of herself.

I did that thing too many people on the internet do. Post before reading. Oops.
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
  • timbstoke
    Options

That depends. Everyone seems to be taking the delivery lads word for it that it won't fit. If the OP was to have it redelivered, and managed to get it in herself with no particular fuss, would the responses here change?
  • heretolearn_2
    Options
    Did they really try everything? It's not as simple as if sofa is wider than door is wide, it can't go in. It often can. After living 20 years in a flat up 4 flights of stairs with tight cornered landings, then a front door that goes into a miniscule square hall so you have to immediately take everything left at 90degrees into kitchen, then turn it round on the spot and 90degrees right into living room, I've learned how to get furniture into the most unlikely spaces.

Did they stand it on end and try to sort of 'fold' it in around the corner of one side of the door frame. Would it have worked if you had got a screwdriver out and quickly taken the door off? As long as sofa isn't longer than door is high, most will go in like that with a bit of a shove as it gets round the worst of the depth/width problem. Did they take all removable cushions off? Honestly I've never had to give up even once, although I did have a sofa I took a saw to when we got rid of it, rather than try to get it back out again in one piece.
    Cash not ash from January 2nd 2011: £2565.:j

OU student: A103 , A215 , A316 all done. Currently A230 all leading to an English Literature degree.

Any advice given is as an individual, not as a representative of my firm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure