PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do the council still give those voucher things for decorating when you move in?

Options

Comments

• Credit-Crunched
    Options
    Why o why do i bother working :(
  • billybear1
    Options
    Why o why do i bother working :(

Unbeleivable!
  • justjohn
    justjohn Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bought a few of these on ebay....some B&q's dont check them and let you use them on other things.
  • Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    Is this for real, the rest of us pay for you to decorate your flat...

Great to see taxpayers money being put to good use!
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    Options
    Mallotum_X wrote: »

Actually its worse than that. We spend huge amounts of tax money funding councils and registered social landlords to maintain their properties and they cheap out giving vouchers.

In the days gone by an allowance was given, then the work was checked. I guess they realised that it was cheaper to not inspect and write off it being used for other things.

I would far rather see the flats properly decorated by the unemployed on workfare, leading to NVQs and apprenticeships, than wasted.
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
  • BrettMorganxD
    Options
    Mallotum_X wrote: »

I said regardless if working or not.

I work full-time myself so pay taxes. But the council (mine anyway) used to give out voucher even to working people to decorate the flat they had given you
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    I work full-time myself so pay taxes. But the council (mine anyway) used to give out voucher even to working people to decorate the flat they had given you

So work a few extra hours each week & decorate your home yourself
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    Some councils/HA give vouchers, some don't. Some for B+Q, some for other suppliers. Those that do will usually give vouchers to various values depending on the decorative state of the property. The use of any vouchers provided is usually factored in when calculating any re-charges at the end of the tenancy.

If you bought a house in a poor decorative state, you would expect to pay less than for the same house in a good decorative state.

If you rent a house privately, the decorative state is again a factor and an initial discount/cash payment to decorate wouldn't be unusual.

Why this is so shocking with social housing, I have no idea. Sounds a bit like double standards at work.
  • darkpool
    darkpool Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    the way the state squanders money shocks me. it's the sense of entitlement of council house tenants that annoys me.
  • Wee_Willy_Harris
    Options
    darkpool wrote: »
    the way the state squanders money shocks me. it's the sense of entitlement of council house tenants that annoys me.

Well, people like you will only be happy when social housing tenants have to provide their own roof tiles and shlt a bucket. Muppet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure