IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ASDA parking fines

Options

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    If you have some monopoly money, send some fake money to pay the fake parking ticket, dont put a stamp on and dont put any personal details on.
    You will feel much better
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Needhelp45
    Needhelp45 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if anyone can help. I take my aunt shopping every week at the local Asda store (Earley, Reading). As she is disabled and doesn't drive and I regularly take her shopping and to and from appointments, she registered my on her disabled parking permit. Unfortunately yesterday we both completely forgot about displaying the badge and received a parking ticket from TCP demanding £60 reduced to £30 if paid withing 14 days. Of course as I parked there for my aunts benefit she insisted on paying the fine but I suggested we appeal first. I went online and submitted an appeal, unfortunately I had no defense, other than forgetfulness and the fact that my aunt is disabled a widowed pensioner, so can really ill afford the fine. I tried to upload a copy of the disabled parking permit, but their system kept saying it had failed, so I have just kept a copy of the page when it stated 'appeal was recorded successfully'. Also there has been no acknowledgement email. I just wonder if any one has any advice? I don't hold out much hope of them either agreeing to waive the fine when there was a sign and we neglected to put the badge in the car. Yet this seems unfair and extortionate when we are both loyal customers to the store and were genuinely parked there, just completely forgot to display the permit.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    The Blue Badge scheme does not apply to disabled parking spaces on private land (this includes supermarket car parks, retail parks, etc.).

The only requirement is that the person ought to be disabled (although this is not strictly necessary). Displaying a blue badge is therefore NOT a valid requirement of any kind of parking Terms & Conditions, regardless of what it might say on their signs.

In fact, if you have notified them that your aunt is disabled and they continue to pursue you for any money then they are at risk of contravening the Equality Act and te Protection From Harassment Act.

My advice is to cease correspondence with this horrible little company, and ignore all the letters they send you, regardless of how scary they might look. They will NOT take you to court, nor will they affect your credit rating, or get a CCJ registered or anything.

They just want your money and will sink as low as they need to, in order to scare you into paying it.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Oopsadaisy
    Oopsadaisy Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore everything

Or else pay up and stop worrying.

The choice is yours....make it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why then you're as thick and stupid as the moderators on here - MSE ForumTeam
  • Martinjt
    Martinjt Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I'm going to ignore it. I didn't drive into the main entrance of the store at Shipley, and there were no visible signs concerning the restrictions. That's my defence.
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Martinjt wrote: »
    Well, I'm going to ignore it. I didn't drive into the main entrance of the store at Shipley, and there were no visible signs concerning the restrictions. That's my defence.

You can bombard Asda with e-mails and they say they will cancel them, like they have done for me ...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4040973
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Oopsadaisy wrote: »
    Ignore everything

Or else pay up and stop worrying.

The choice is yours....make it.

If you pay up, they will just come back after more money citing late fees.
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Martinjt wrote: »
    That's my defence.

You will not need one. TCP will just send they usual letters then disappear.
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Your defence is that it is not a legal requirement to display a blue badge in disabled bays on private land, regardless of what it says on the signs.

There's tons of others too, like that private parking companies cannot form a contract with drivers on land that they do not own, or that the charge levied does not represent actual losses suffered by the landowner and is therefore a contractual penalty (which are unenforceable under contract law), but the top one is most relevant here.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • Martinjt
    Martinjt Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    You will not need one. TCP will just send they usual letters then disappear.

Is one supposed to come from debt collecters? I would be tempted to ring them, saying 'I'm not in debt- it's a Mickey Mouse company wanting to steal money from me'.

And will they take me to court? If it's the court in the area where the 'offence' took place, then I'm damned if I'm travelling 100 miles to attend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure