MSE News: Apple launches iPhone 4S

Options

Comments

• poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very disappointing update. Was at least expecting them to upgrade the RAM - 512MB is pretty poor these days, I'm constantly hitting the barrier when web browsing, resulting in tabs having to be reloaded each time I view them. The CPU upgrade is a bit meh, the CPU hasn't really been a rate-limiting factor for most apps. The camera upgrade is just a sideshow, standalone cameras still blow even the best cameraphones out of the water.

Only reason I might consider upgrading my 4 for a 4s would be to grab the 64GB model, so I could actually store some video on there without having to delete half my song collection. But really not worth dropping another £399 just for that. Guess I'll skip a generation and wait till next year to see what is on offer
    poppy10
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2011 at 9:03PM
    Options
    23n1th wrote: »
    Actually I'm mildly amused by this. What an anti-climax! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

It does have entertainment value... Still I suppose the fans can look forward to iOS 5 with all the improvements that have been [STRIKE]copied from other OS[/STRIKE] invented by Apple :p like the pull-down notification bar... Oh and ground-breaking voice control too. They're only just keeping up with the competition really.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Options
    Yolina wrote: »
    It does have entertainment value... Still I suppose the fans can look forward to iOS 5 with all the improvements that have been [STRIKE]copied from other OS[/STRIKE] invented by Apple :p like the pull-down notification bar...

I hope no one patented that they might have to remove it.
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 October 2011 at 9:51PM
    Options
    I own a Iphone 3G in need of updating (battery life very limited by now and volume rocker damaged)

I was doubting whether to upgrade to a new Iphone or get another device (most likely android). However from the specs today I think I will sway towards a non-Apple device.

My main disappointments about the new model are:
    • No FM Radio
    • No possibility of using external memory storage (e.g. Mini SD cards)
    • Proprietary USB connection (I presume) hence no possible to use a standard cheap micro usb cable
    • Unable to easily (and cheaply) replace battery once performance falls over time
    • Annoying MicroSim card, why?
    • Voice control? No thanks, I don't want to be speaking to HAL 9000

And all of the above on one of the most expensive smartphones available.

I will probably miss some of the iOS apps which might not be available on other platforms, but I am prepared to take the leap and try something different.

Like some of the other posters I hope Apple's launch helps push down the prices of some of the other phones.

So thanks and goodbye Apple!
  • HalloweenJack
    Options
    evolution rather than revolution - although a friend who imports iphone cases is laughing - he brings in 10000 a month and just ordered lots more for the sheeple :D
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2011 at 9:37PM
    Options
    The register has the correct approach on this overpriced toy.

I particularly liked:
    4. Not Actually That Great As A Phone

It's not, and never has been. Ever since the beginning, iPhones have scored unimpressively on actually being phones. That's pretty poor work for something this costly.

As far as MSE is concerned, the original article is nothing but free advertising for Apple. Isn't this contrary to the spirit of MSE?

Dave
  • moty1984
    moty1984 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    And guess what will be next....... Thats right a new iphone 4s in WHITE. But that will take apple a couple of months to sort that out.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, this is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The web is awash with rumours of when the iPhone 5 will arrive so we've compiled a list of the most trusted best guesses ..."
  • mrochester
    mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing I'm too interested in here other than the operating speed updates. But as my 4 has never felt lacking in that respect, I don't feel as if I am in any particular hurry to update. This feels more like to update to attract the next 80million iPhone users rather than an update for exisiting iPhone users.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently Apple share price has fallen by over 4% since the announcement, I guess investors weren't overwhelmed by the updated iPhone either :p
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport