Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

edited 13 October 2011 at 4:52PM in Mobiles
289 replies 231.4K views

Replies

• edited 3 November 2011 at 11:13AM
    ProsequimurProsequimur Forumite
    22 posts
    edited 3 November 2011 at 11:13AM
    if I am on a 24 month contract with a mobile phone provider, and had a say HTC wildfire as part of that contract, can I just start using my new iphone on my current number? I have enough data, texts and phone minutes to suit me, so is it possible or is there some kind of bar on doing this? ... Or is it breaking the contract or illegal?
    No, it is neither breaking contract nor illegal. Your contract is with the provider to pay them a set amount per month for a wireless service. The exact way in which you access that wireless service is not their concern.

As to whether you could stick the sim card an iPhone - the answer is yes (assuming, as you say, that you can cut it to the right size). Many people do exactly what you describe (myself included) - get a good tariff, sell the free handset, and use it towards buying a lovely new sim-free handset. In fact, I would now never use a handset from the networks as they are usually a) locked and b) full of stupid extra apps that you don't want and can't get rid of. The only thing that you might have to fiddle around with is settings for things like internet access, MMS, etc, but you should be able to get those easily from your current provider.

One thing that almost certainly won't work is tethering (where you use your phone as a wireless modem for internet access by e.g. a laptop). You also won't get free access to wireless hotspots - most iPhone tariffs include access to something like BT OpenZone. So make sure your data is enough - iPhones can download a lot!
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£1300[/STRIKE] £0!
    MasterCard: £700
    MasterCard 2 :o: £1047.00
    MasterCard 3 :eek:: £7,531.54

But I have a job and a plan!:think:
  • INT1INT1 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    What was the point in starting this thread up, when we already had a thread going here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1062363&page=171

Anyone know any deals for new customer iPhone 4, 18 or 24 month contract.
  • edited 11 November 2011 at 1:04PM
    FlibbertygibbetFlibbertygibbet Forumite
    66 posts
    edited 11 November 2011 at 1:04PM
    INT1 wrote: »
    What was the point in starting this thread up, when we already had a thread going here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1062363&page=171

Anyone know any deals for new customer iPhone 4, 18 or 24 month contract.

I think you will find that was officially closed and this on started in its place???????
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apple have dropped their prices direct now 319 and 2% on quidco

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC637B/A

sorry if posted elsewhere, I searched but there is just tooooo much stuff
    Sim free iphone 3GS 8 gb

Seems a bit expensive for the old 8gb phone?
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
  • Where could you suggest I buy cheaper and unlocked then?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • StevieJStevieJ Forumite
    20.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where could you suggest I buy cheaper and unlocked then?

I have no idea but it is certainly a plus for securing a new IPhone4s if they retain value like that. Then again

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=iphone3gs+8gb&_sacat=0&_odkw=iphone3g+8gb&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
    Government: "Should we get a pet?" 52%: "Yes" Government: "OK, we'll get a cat" 1/2 of 52%: "Oh no, I hate cats. I wanted a dog."
  • INT1INT1 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    I think you will find that was officially closed and this on started in its place???????

Yes pointless to close it.

Anyway, some may be interested to know that iPhone 4 will be cheaper to buy on contracts from tomorrow on O2.

Went to buy one today and sales assistant said wait until tomorrow, which was nice of her as we were prepared to get today.
  • matrix999matrix999 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    decsdad wrote: »
    Ok, I have an iPhone in three, no problems, never cut off, and I have been with them 10 years( Mysore and son too, no issues). Which is a good thing as you really dintwant to have to phone their customer services, 0/10.
    Get a free three payg sim and see if you get a good signal at home, work etc then you'll know what to expect.

I'm also with Three, great 3G coverage in the areas I use the phone. Better than my previous network which was utter dire in trying to get a 3G coverage.
  • INT1INT1 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ok, looks like the handset prices haven't come down on the o2 website, so unsure why was told in store they would be.

Perhaps they will come down later in the week.

Looking to get the 24 month, £21.50 (incl the data) with a handset cost of £169.99.
  • INT1INT1 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Just an update, apparantly Apple scrapped reducing the handset price on a normal iPhone 4 as the iPhone 4S is in short supply and the normal 4 is still very popular!