NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

edited 13 October 2011 at 5:52PM in Mobiles
279 replies 225.7K views

Replies

• titchytitchy Forumite
    15 posts
    How can you send out the money saving e-mail with find the best priced Iphone?
    The Iphone in comparison to other similar devices is over priced and far more likely to lock you into spending more on apple products because you are now locked into ITunes.
    Seriously if we are saving money we should be looking at cheaper and more user accommodating devices.
    I am loath to promote Android as I see them heading in the same direction but as it stands now you get a lot more phone and function from an Android device for your money.
  • titchy wrote: »
    How can you send out the money saving e-mail with find the best priced Iphone?
    The Iphone in comparison to other similar devices is over priced and far more likely to lock you into spending more on apple products because you are now locked into ITunes.
    Seriously if we are saving money we should be looking at cheaper and more user accommodating devices.
    I am loath to promote Android as I see them heading in the same direction but as it stands now you get a lot more phone and function from an Android device for your money.

... the amount of people that go on about this...

Well the iphone is seen as a desirable object.. so people naturally want shiny things. Some people will sign stupid contracts to get these things and convince themselves that they've saved money doing so.

The fact that this is a money saving site.. shows you the CHEAPEST way to get said latest and greatest device without getting ripped off.. so the e-mail sent by MONEYSAVINGexpert is saving you cash...

As for android.. people always say it's cheaper.. they never mention its better.
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • Just seen deal on the T-Mobile site - called the iPhone SIM only deal. Sorry - can't post a link as I am a new user.

I mainly use my iPhone for data, and if I read the deal right, I get 12 months free internet upfront, and then only pay for the calls I need.

Have I missed something, or can't I buy an unlocked 32gb 4S from Apple for £599, spend £15 on this card and get 12 months internet use for £614?

Beats anything else doesn't it?
  • If that's this card here

Then it's only 500MB a month, as the wonderful small print says...

"* 500MB per month
    Please note that the 12 months free internet is for the iPhone 4 only and is not available for the iPad or any other device."
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
  • edited 13 October 2011 at 9:29AM
    chrispyphillipschrispyphillips Forumite
    362 posts
    edited 13 October 2011 at 9:29AM
    Whoever asked above for the tesco mobile tariffs, they're out (just click on View Tariffs)
    R34GTT wrote:
    I was considering buying from Apple and sticking with my £8 per month Talkmobile micro sim. However after analysing some different tariffs from Vodafone in a spreadsheet, a 12 month contract for the 64GB version works out at £9.42 per month if you subtract the RRP of the phone from the total annual cost. This includes subtracting Vodafone cashback of £59 and Quidco cashback of £40. Upfront cost is £299.

((£51*12)+£299-£59-£49-£699)/12=£9.42

For the effective £9.42 tariff element of the contract I get 1200 mins, unlimited texts, 750MB data and the 25MB a day when abroad in Europe. Plus I don't have to stump up £699 in one go. I'm not 100% doing it yet, but it is very tempting.

I may be missing a trick here, and forgive me if I've read this wrong at all, but it seems like your discounting the price of a new 64Gb iPhone from Apple, without even buying it from these calculations? Using that logic, I could subtract the money I'm saving on not buying a Ferrari, meaning apple are effectively paying me for use of their iPhone, no?

I would have thought the calculation £51 p/month * 12 month contract + £299 upfront cost - £40 potential quidco cashback - £59 Vodafone cashback (not sure what this is either) / 12 months = £67.66 per month. Just because you haven't bought the phone direct from apple, doesn't mean you can assume savings on it? I may be wrong and if I am someone let me know, but I didnt want you or anyone else thinking this was a good deal when it could be slightly misguided!

I myself have been looking at the 64Gb deal from 3. No one seems to be talking about the fact that Apple are launching for the first time a 64Gb iPhone, to me the biggest pull as I swamp my 32Gb 3GS will plenty of music, videos and apps to fill it in seconds!

Whilst I appreciate some people view 3 as a terrible provider, and some people are happy with them, its always good to find the deals so hey can be provided to current networks in a bid to get them to offer you better deals. The offer I've found is;

Going through Quidco, 3 are offering £115 cashback on iPhone 4S pre-orders on the 'One Plan' tariff. This works out at £35 p/month for 2000 mins, 5000 txts, unlimited internet (and tethering) on a 24 month contract, with the upfront cost of £279 for the phone. This equates to roughly £46.63 per month. Okay, not an amazing deal for a money saving site (before anyone starts) but to shave a bit more off, take into account roughly £140 cashback for recycling the iPhone 3GS and the contract becomes £40 p/month when all is said and done. Again, I realise tis isn't pennies, but for a 64Gb iPhone with a strong tariff (albeit maybe not strong provider) something had to give.

O2 have said to call them tomorrow and see what deals they can offer me, and whilst they used to be very good at retentions, I'm not sure even they can offer £115 off a phone that they already sell at £100 more than 3.
  • jsg2jsg2 Forumite
    27 posts
    The thing that worries me about 3 is the fact that they only have 3g coverage - with no 2g backup. I want to know I can at least make a phone call pretty much wherever I am!

Having said that I do have 3 on the iPad - and it's 3g coverage is far better than tesco (O2).

Anyone know which network is best with regards to 3g and 2g coverage - I assume T-mobile or Orange would be good now after the merger?

p.s. I live and work in London.
  • Hi can anyone tell me if o2(giffgaf) and other networks have anything like vodafones suresignal? i live out in the sticks and as of yet havent found a network that i can get signal with! So i was going to go with vodafone iphone for the suresignal box but as other networks are cheaper would like to know if they do similar products?
    I work from home so would like to get the iphone as the "home phone" so it will save on bt costs by using the free minutes
    “You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” ― Dr Seuss
    :love: I Married My Prince Charming 01.06.13:kisses2:
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    53K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Orange do UMA, but AFAIK they don't support iPhones.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • Whoever asked above for the tesco mobile tariffs, they're out (just click on View Tariffs)

I may be missing a trick here, and forgive me if I've read this wrong at all, but it seems like your discounting the price of a new 64Gb iPhone from Apple, without even buying it from these calculations? Using that logic, I could subtract the money I'm saving on not buying a Ferrari, meaning apple are effectively paying me for use of their iPhone, no?

I would have thought the calculation £51 p/month * 12 month contract + £299 upfront cost - £40 potential quidco cashback - £59 Vodafone cashback (not sure what this is either) / 12 months = £67.66 per month. Just because you haven't bought the phone direct from apple, doesn't mean you can assume savings on it? I may be wrong and if I am someone let me know, but I didnt want you or anyone else thinking this was a good deal when it could be slightly misguided!

I myself have been looking at the 64Gb deal from 3. No one seems to be talking about the fact that Apple are launching for the first time a 64Gb iPhone, to me the biggest pull as I swamp my 32Gb 3GS will plenty of music, videos and apps to fill it in seconds!

Whilst I appreciate some people view 3 as a terrible provider, and some people are happy with them, its always good to find the deals so hey can be provided to current networks in a bid to get them to offer you better deals. The offer I've found is;

Going through Quidco, 3 are offering £115 cashback on iPhone 4S pre-orders on the 'One Plan' tariff. This works out at £35 p/month for 2000 mins, 5000 txts, unlimited internet (and tethering) on a 24 month contract, with the upfront cost of £279 for the phone. This equates to roughly £46.63 per month. Okay, not an amazing deal for a money saving site (before anyone starts) but to shave a bit more off, take into account roughly £140 cashback for recycling the iPhone 3GS and the contract becomes £40 p/month when all is said and done. Again, I realise tis isn't pennies, but for a 64Gb iPhone with a strong tariff (albeit maybe not strong provider) something had to give.

O2 have said to call them tomorrow and see what deals they can offer me, and whilst they used to be very good at retentions, I'm not sure even they can offer £115 off a phone that they already sell at £100 more than 3.

!!!! I just ordered the 64gb 4s through 3 on the one plan but had no idea quidco were doing £115 cashback!!!
    I'll have to ring them now and see what they can do!
  • swilliamswilliam Forumite
    212 posts
    It's interesting to note that Tesco's 4s tariff is the same for there 4 tariff. I wonder if the 4 will be reduced tomorrow ?