MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Jack claim cashback at his company's expense?

Comments

• paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Would definitely do it.

To be honest, if its something like a hotel I'm paying for and claiming the cost back its nothing to do with the company how I pay for it or what arrangements I make. All they need to see is the receipt...

I also used to work for a compnay and did loads of business flights with BA. Everyone I worked with had tons of air miles etc for free flights which they used themselves. Company knew about this and wasnt bothered...
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • Hmmm - I've gone a step beyond this.

I used to work for a massive blue chip company and opted to use my own credit card instead of the company card (I found the limit of £500 on the company card rather restrictive for the amount of travel I did). Through this very website I had got myself a credit card that did not charge the usual 2.5% on foreign transactions (for personal use). So when I went on a 2 week trip to an expensive european location I took this card I ended up with a few thousand euros on it.

When I input this into the expenses system it was done in Euros and I was given the company card's exchange rate to take me back into £.

When I eventually compared my credit card bill to my expense payment once both came through I realised I was around £200 in profit because I had used a fee free credit card. Plus a small cashback fee went directly to charity.

I think if an employer has asked employees to make purchases without supplying them with a company card or cash advance then any benefit the employee derives through incentive schemes on cards or websites are their incentives to keep. Just like if your employer expects you to travel a lot you are rewarded with loyalty points with airlines and hotels which no private sector employer would ever expect any benefit from.
    It's not just the receiving, it's the sharing of discounts that matter
  • Xstyle
    Xstyle Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perfectly acceptable
  • Most definately, can't see any problem what so ever.
  • Dave,

that wouldn't happen to be Yorkshire Water would it?

Anyway, personally I don't think he is doing anything wrong, at the end of the day as some posters have pointed out it is acceptable to the company for him to use his credit to pay for their expenses so why not.

I don't actually agree with companies doing this to employees, especially if they are poor at paying back expenses claims and you end up incurring interest on your CC balance, they don't pay that back for you, do they?

I like my companies approach, if I need hotels, flights, hire cars etc, I call them, they book it and pay for it, I turn up and use it. If I do have any other expenses such as meals or whatever I can claim every two weeks and they pay this by BACS back to my bank account, so no waiting for cheques to clear.

All my fuel is on a fuel card, but wait, does that mean I will need to give all my Shell and BP points to the company? Am I hell, I am the idiot that sits in a car for 20,000 miles a year, not them, so I'm keeping my free DVD's from CD Wow and still deciding what to spend my Shell points on.

All kidding aside I agree with the other posters who suggest clearing it with the company, however if they do agree to let you claim the cashback make sure you get it in writing from Human Remains, otherwise if they do change their mind you will not have a leg to stand on!!!! Good Luck:T
  • I think if Jack follows Martin's process for finding the cheapest price - using a comparison sites such as Kelkoo, then goes through a moneyback site to that supplier - then there is a win-win. The employer benefits from the lowest available price and Jack gets the cashback reward. In that case integrity is preserved, as he could not be said to be gaining cash back at his employer's expense.
    However, if he start buying for his employer from the supplier who gives him the highest money back, regardless of price to the employer, that is acting against the company's financial interests and would constitute gross misconduct.
    Jack's is especially justified in keeping the cashback if he is required to put expenses on his own credit card and claim back. If an employer does not want its employees to benefit from loyalty points and savvy shopping it should have an expenses policy and issue company credit cards.
  • If you pay using your own card then the points should stay with the payee - If you pay with a company account or card then it should be cleared via the company as your not paying with your own money.
  • If he was using the company card/money, then the benefit would go to the company. As the company is using his money (reimbursing later) then the points should go to him. He isn't cheating the company of any money (charging £10 when it only cost him £5), so there's no problem.
  • Shiggaddi
    Shiggaddi Posts: 938 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    A few years ago, I used to be a van driver, and driving about 1200 miles a week. My boss knew full well, that I collected the points on the fuel, and was OK about it.

The people back at the office had the internet on their computers, which they could use for personal use, and also a free vending machine. As I was out on the road all day, I didn't have those perks unless I was loading up, but I did get the points and cashback on my loyalty cards. I did have a company fuel card, but there were a couple of occasions when the accountant forget to give me a new card when the old one expired, so the fuel went on my cashback card instead, and I was promptly refunded.

The cashback is basically a thank you for using their business, whether it be credit card, loyalty card, or quidco.

This sort of practice isn't new, just because of more loyalty cards, and cashback sites. Long before the internet, it wasn't that uncommon for sales reps to not only offer a good price, but also offer a free gift to the purchasing manager, just so the purchasing manager chooses them. The free gift could be anything from a box of chocolates, up to a family holiday.
  • shilling
    shilling Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He is using his own card so how exactly is it at the company's expense? IF anything HE is losing interest on money spent.

I was in this situation. I worked for a company that sent us out to clients' homes. We, field staff, had to pay for parking and petrol out of our own pockets, and then claim it back.

Some weeks I'd have spent over 200 on fuel and parking, not to mention the hassle of standing in a bank to get one pound coins every week!!! So this would be a substantial loss of interest.

And when Jack works an extra half hour, I'm sure his employer is happy to not notice or pay him for it!

Take the points, and steal some pens if you can Jack!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure