MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Jack claim cashback at his company's expense?

Comments

• Be careful - my employers have a little bit of small print which states I cannot purchase things and make a gain, that includes cash back on credit cards, using loyalty cards, or buy one get one free offers and the like... So, no - I don't do it, it is considered fraud and it's not worth losing my job over
    :beer:
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Yes he should... he must already be using his own cashback credit card to buy stuff with therefore the deal is obviously that he buys stuff and then he claims it back from his employer so if he is able to buy stuff he needs from web cashback sites then he should keep those points too. I don't see why this is a dilemma at all???

My ex used to travel to Europe nearly every week with his job and stayed in hotels while he was there so he built up a large number of airmiles and hotel loyalty points - we used both of these for weekends away.

I can remember reading 1 post on here recently where a van/lorry driver filled his works vehicle up at a particular petrol station chain whenever he could as they could earn loyalty points for a supermarket.

Why are any of these situations any different?

It's a perk of the job! Especially in the suggested scenario because if you have to use your own credit card for "work expenses" and then have to fill in a claim form and wait for the company to pay you (which is not always straightaway - in my ex's experience anyway) then if you're get a kickback for all the hassle then I don't see what the problem is?

In short my opinion is "What dilemma?" !!!!!!
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • Why not clear it with the employer first (who probably won't mind - if they do, at least you know you're working for Scrooge!)?
  • If it's not disadvantaging the employer, I see no harm in it at all. It's not unlike someone filling up his/her company's vehicle at Tesco, with/without a company card and building up Tesco points.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Be careful - my employers have a little bit of small print which states I cannot purchase things and make a gain, that includes cash back on credit cards, using loyalty cards, or buy one get one free offers and the like... So, no - I don't do it, it is considered fraud and it's not worth losing my job over

I would claim the cashback!!!!

But to be safe, read your contract.

If it says nothing, say nothing!
  • I've used cashback sites for quite a few office purchases. My boss knows about it though and is happy for me to keep the cash. I think it's best to be upfront about it, although I recognise that I am probably luckier than many in having a great boss/workplace.

I collect Nectar Points for work purchases too, but this is on a Nectar For Business card which is registered in the company name. I don't regard this as 'my' account, so I distribute any vouchers equally amongst colleagues.

I'd definitely agree with the comments re contracts though. I used to work for a big company which had a lengthy policy regarding gifts and/or relationships with suppliers. We had to detail any gifts and sign declarations of our 'objectivity' if we 'fraternised' outside work with any suppliers :rolleyes: (Ironic really, because it was a major entertainment co; a business where you have network and 'fraternise' to get on.)
  • Dave1167
    Dave1167 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Several years ago a Water Authority issued cards to employees for purchasing fuel in company vehicles. I remember that the Petrol Company were giving away drinking glasses when fuel was bought. Naturally we took advantage of this but the Company demanded the glasses to be returned. We took legal advice and were told that the glasses belonged to the Water Authority and if they so decided we could be taken to Court. The Company eventually gave the glasses away to a Charity.
  • Amanda65
    Amanda65 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think that if a company expects you to use your own card for company expenses, therefore effectively using your credit for their business, then any points etc. that you can gain by using said card are justified.

As for the Water Authority - how tight is that??????
  • Why not clear it with the employer first (who probably won't mind - if they do, at least you know you're working for Scrooge!)?

i agree, best way to go
  • I think this amounts to fraud and I would not do it. If the card was a company card then the benefits would accrue to the company. I have worked for charities for many years and would want them to have the money.

When I was in the Armed servcies we were told that even though we earned airmiles on flights taken to and from over seas postings we were not entitled to benefit from them! Public money and all that! Not worth ruining a career for a few pounds off a flight!

So sad to see that many people "feel screwed" by the company they work for !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure