PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Has anyone bought a sewing machine from Cooper sewing machine discount.co.uk?

Options

Comments

• Lavender10
    Options
    I rang Sewing Machine Discount after enquiring by email about a Janome machine and was told to ring the next day as they were starting a Janome promotion. They presented a tempting price and deal and I ordered the machine on a 30-day trial and it was delivered a few days later. No problem with the machine but I just didn't take to it so I asked to exchange it for a Brother machine that was on Coopers website at £1599 but I'd seen elsewhere for £1299 brand new-so I asked them to match the price as it was a cheaper machine than the Janome so I didn't want to pay the same. After receiving a barrage of texts and phone calls arguing the point they suddenly agreed to match the price. Collection and delivery were arranged and then I saw the Brother machine advertised on a couple of other sites as an 'A' grade machine i.e., returned or with slight repair so, just to check, I asked them if the machine they were sending me was new. He said yes, new and re-boxed. I asked why a new machine was re-boxed and he absolutely flipped. I had several phone calls from him at 9 o'clock at night and he was very abusive. I was threatened that I would see 'how nasty I can be' and he even dared my husband to go down to see him. The Brother machine was never delivered and I did get my refund some days later because I refused to release the Janome machine for collection until the money was back in my account although they attempted collection several times. Strangely enough, the Brother machine has only been advertised on their website as an 'A' grade machine since. I know the shopping channels have dropped him-I'm not sure why Amazon deal with him-I think it's based on quantity but steer clear of this company, under any of their trading names, as if there are any issues with your purchase they really are bad news. I went to a local store after all this-much better.
  • JCShoes
    Options
    Don't bother with them, the company have no respect for their customers. Just do a google search on BBC Watchdog Rogue Traders and you'll see why. Luckily I got my money back, but I did get a bit of a abuse from someone there plus some sarcastic messages from Mr Cooper himself and a very rude voicemail
  • carlangl
    carlangl Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    massive thank you for posting this about coopers, you just saved me an awful experience. this company is now operating under a new name with teh same 'gaurnatees' they offer in these 3 film clips. thanks again.
    Many thanks! cx :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Why are people still using this man he is a con artist. As I have said before speak to David Drummond he stocks all well known makes of machines and will give you good advice. If you keep the box, you can send it back to him for service, he will arrange collection and re-delivery, phone you when the machine is ready and you pay him either via debit or credit card, he will then send the machine back to you.

I have dealt with him for years and he has never let me down. I rang him recently for a machine for my daughter, told him which one I would like, he suggested a different make that had more stitches then the original one I asked for and was also cheaper. She is delighted with it.

His phone number 0131 5397766.
  • Blether
    Blether Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Not read through the full thread but would suggest that some of you with complaints contact your credit card company to try and get some money back. Look on MSE for Section 75 refunds.
  • JenTh
    JenTh Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 May 2015 at 8:53PM
    Options
    Wish I'd read this before buying an overlocker from them. I ordered an ex display cooper overlocker for £129. They sent a Decor Professional with no explanation about the substitution. As it was a new, more expensive machine I thought I'd got a bargain. How naive was I! It wasn't working so I emailed them and they collected and returned it, again no explanation. I assumed it was fixed. I didn't use it till I attended an overlocker workshop where the experienced tutor said it was not working properly so I returned it again at my expense, £31.00. now they say it just needed a "minor" adjustment and I have to arrange to collect it at my own expense again. Not good enough.

Since posting the above my machine has been returned, still not working despite "Michael's assurance that it was fine. Took it to a local, independent, repairer with over 50 years experience. he immediately identified serious timing faults, he could repair it but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't go wrong again. This firm is apparently known for its unreliable products and the repairer said he never sells on their products as reconditioned as he just can't give a guarantee with them. I decided I'd had enough and sold it for scrap value. I'm about £160.00 poorer but a lot wiser now. You may be OK buying branded goods from Cooper's but don't buy their own products.
  • I really wish I had read all thread before buying a sewing machine from thisman!!

Me and my mum started a sewing course and said I would treat us both to asewing machine, when looking online I saw one of the HiLine SP models I calledthem up and got told how fantastic these machines where they are in all theschool and even sold in selfages!!! I was on the phone thinking wow this isamazing, brilliant for beginners (especially my mum) and they was on offerreduced from £343 to £89.99 !! Who can resist a bargin!

So I ordered them, I have no issues with delivery taking payment etc thatwas all superfast, but I've used mine 3 times and spent half the time unpickingthings as it not sewing right, I've had my tutor to look at it in case mybobbin was too tight or I had set it up incorrectly but she said it looks fineand can't understand why its not sewing correctly. Then there is the issue withmy mums! This machine isn't for a beginner at all the amount of stitches it hason it is unbelievable, and the speed is super fast to which she can't control!

I've phone sewingmachin!!!!!!!!!!.com up today and explained we are nothappy with the machines we've had them less than 2 weeks and used 3 timesduring our 2 hour class on a Monday night! .... I was on hold for around 20mins then Mr Jay cooper - Isow answered the phone asking what the issue was. Iexplained the above and he said he can have someone to collect and inspectthem, which is fine but I said I would prefer to either swop them for a basic modelor have my money back, but said they needed to be inspected first. Then hewanted to arrange collect but as we don’t have the original box (which was justa brown box no label and a few pieces of polyester) he couldn't arrange forthem to be collected as it wasn't the original box!! By this point I wasgetting really frustrated!! I explained I can box them up make sure they aresecure and packaged correctly but was having none of it, they only way to getthese inspected is if I send them myself!! So I said I will send them back andjust give me a refund I don’t want them and don't want to deal with the companyI'd rather take my customer else where, but said he can't give me a refund as Idon’t have the original boxes from them and if I send them back in he will needto charge be £25 for each box!! ... This company offers a 15 year garentee onyour sewing machines but if you don’t have the original box then this guaranteeis void!! Who in there right mind is going to keep a box for 15 years!!!

At the moment I am stuck in limbo and unsure what to do as I have two sewingmachines both faulty, one not sewing correctly and one way too fast for anyoneto handle :(

Even if i ring my credit card company i'm not sure they will even do anything about it for me
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Let's get this straight - they are not fit for purpose. Regardless of the packaging issue, sewing machines that don't sew, or sew too fast for anyone to handle, are not fit for purpose. You've only had them two weeks. I think a call to your local Trading Standards office will help you clarify that they're way out of order here.
    Angie - GC May 24 £311.12/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    I messed up and ordered from this company without realising what they were like.

I also got the Decor Pro overlocker. It worked for around 30 minutes. The next time l used it, the thread snapped and every time l use it the same happens.

They said l could return it and they would look at it but l can never get through, it just rings. Someone answered yesterday to tell me the service dept is closed until 4th April.

I emailed them this morning to say l want to return it for a refund. I'm past six months as l bought it in July but l told them in October there were issues with it. Asked for a response in 7 days. I'm expecting to be ignored,any advice would be appreciated.

I'm going to a shop to buy a new one at the weekend as even if they replace it l'm sure that will be c.r.a.p. as well.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • bobibhai
    bobibhai Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well the tireless Mr. Cooper is still maintaining his business style (s). He sent me an e-letter, signed by David Porter to tell me that my machine which the letter states, I bought from Sewing Machine Superstore will now be looked after by HobbyStitch. The email came from Highline+sewing[email]support.co.uk@mail198.atl.rsgvv.net[[/email]/email] (no its not a typo that's its source address) on behalf of Sewing Machine Superstore(highline@sewing support.co.uk). Note my PC Security flagged it as suspicious. Anyway the letter offered me a fantastic balance of my 15 year warranty including an annual service, free collection and return to me,a restock of all my bobbins and needles all for a mere £39.95 +VAT. A great deal you may think- but look on the website and you will see a £50 charge for collection and return. The letter also contains a link so that the reader can click on this and take advantage of this fantastic offer. I rang the telephone number listed and strangely it goes to the same young woman with whom I spoke a year or more back on several occasions- all calls seem to end at the same place irrespective of number.As usual she knows nothing, or in this case only about the warranty offer and would have to transfer me to 'Mr. Jason'. I asked for Mr. Cooper but she said he was not available. I waited whilst the music churned on, and on, and on but no Mr. Jason, so I gave up.

So what is my problem? Well a year or so back I ordered a Singer Sewing machine from Mr. Cooper who, conveniently, had only 2 left, standing by his desk and as we spoke he said 'One of them has your name on it'. Delivery the next Thursday (2 days hence). I paid by CC. Thursday came & went. On Friday I rang to enquire about my machine. Mr. Cooper very sorry- shipment was delayed. I reminded him that he had said he had 'mine' by his desk when I ordered. He became irritated & then said he would instead send one which was due to go to someone else- definitely get it in a couple of days. Again no delivery. In the interim I found all of the adverse matter available on the Internet, not least the You Tube 'Rogue Traders' I became concerned. I rang him again and expressed concern whereupon he launched into one of his oft-reported screaming fits ending with the statement that he was cancelling my order and refunding my money. He then sent me emails including that fact that he had recorded all of our conversations. He did refund my money and of course I did not buy the machine. So why would I want or indeed be entitled to the extended special offer Warranty- who knows?

However I did, subsequently, buy the same model Singer sewing machine from the national retail chain of Hobbycraft, but would I want to buy a Warranty from HobbyStitch? Highly unlikely you may think. I can't help wondering how HobbyStitch knows I have a machine bought from Hobbycraft as businesses are not connected. All in all a very puzzling situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure