PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Has anyone bought a sewing machine from Cooper sewing machine discount.co.uk?

Options
Hi, I just wondered if anyone has bought a sewing machine off this website?

http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/

Were you happy/unhappy?

Thanks

Comments

• sock-knitter
    Options
    Hi, I just wondered if anyone has bought a sewing machine off this website?

http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/

Were you happy/unhappy?

Thanks
    dont bother with them, they are really bad. i bought one off them, and it didnt work, i rang them up to tell them, and they were most unpleasant and talked about how stupid i was to not know how to use a machine. eventually they decided i could send it back for a refund, so i packed it up really carefully with good padding to protect the machine.
    two weeks later they said it had arrived back to them smashed to pieces, which it couldnt have been and refused to give me any money at all:mad:
    so i basically lost the 250 for the machine, plus money spent on posting it back
    later i got a machine from local shop in town, and said what a bad experiance online, straight away he said, was it coopers, to which i replied yes, and he said he wasnt suprised as a lot of other customers who had gone to him after going online fist, were complaining about them
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • Nick_Edinburgh
    Options
    No, thank goodness! A narrow escape. I phoned them meaning to buy, but encountered the rudest salesman I've ever spoken to. He swore and hung up on me. I thought I really ought to let the managers know, and phoned back to do so (still being totally polite myself). If anything the manager was even ruder, bluntly stating they were too busy to care about complaints. Since then I've had a look around on other forums (search for Coopers, their main name) and it seems my experience is pretty typical, with lots of people shocked by the astonishingly rude managers and staff.

You may be tempted by the cheap-looking prices. But think again. Attitudes as bad as this start at the top. I'd pity anyone trying to get a repair or refund out of such a firm, and the experiences on the forums confirm such fears. Avoid!!!
  • budgetboo
    Options
    I got the argos value sewing machine for £40 as a birthday pressie this week. If all you want is a basic functional machine I'd go for that, obviously it's not computerised or fancy but it's up to most household jobs and can cope with denim. I'd put in on a par with the janome or bernina machines used by schools for functionality (though for the price it's not desgned to take school use abuse).

You can also easily take it back if it doesn't suit.
  • Avocado
    Options
    Have you seen the charities page on that site? My inner cynic has list of issues with that page which is in double figures! The major one is- here is a business who are encouraging you to spend on thier products with the notion that you will benefit charity (think of those poor people without healthcare- how manipulative). The business however does not contribute to charity, "Mr Cooper" does. That's rather convenient since if the business claimed that it donates it would have to prove it. An individual has no obligation to prove anything to anyone. So they give you the strong impression this donating happens, the impression it is tied to what you spend, but there is no possibility of you seeing proof.

If the one page of policy is so tricky, then what of the rest of the companies ethos and practice? Makes me want to avoid, avoid, avoid.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've not used them, but there's a big thread about them on the sewing forum

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11432&highlight=coopers

Sewing machines direct have a good reputation on there

http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/aboutus.htm
  • thecatsnose
    Options
    I got a Toyota Jeans one from them last year, everything was OK for me.
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    I saw a singer sewing machine for £75 in homebargains.

this one.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/105-singer-promise-1408-sewing-machine.aspx

Hope it helps :)
  • syliamarina
    syliamarina Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 8 February 2012 at 4:51PM
    Options
    Hi

I am amending my review for them because following a really unpleasant experience, they have made efforts to correct the issues I had.

From all the staff I spoke to, David (owner I believe) and Marketa have been very helpful generally and although I shouldn't have had the initial terrible experience it has turned out ok.

If you're going to risk prepare to persevere in getting the correct level of customer service.
  • Jules__2-2
    Options
    I have to second this I'm afraid, Coopers customer service is absolutely terrible :mad: Please go somewhere else for your own sake!
  • Chanpagne
    Options
    Hi

I bought my machine 2 years ago now & this may not be very helpful.
    I've barely used the machine but it seems fine (I have a refresher course where I will be taking it on Tuesday). I only saw the feedback AFTER I'd placed the order, so based on what I've read I've kept the original packaging. It was the cheapest I'd seen this particular machine for.
    However if you look at it in terms of price. You would have to pay for servicing etc if you bought it anywhere else anyway, so if it is the cheapest option for purchasing you could take it elsewhere after the purchase is complete.
    I've read a few reviews where people have had no problems with the machine or servicing.
    If not there's The Sewing Centre on Battersea Park Road SW11 that sells them & also Olympic Sewing Centre in Shepherds Bush W12. They also do repairs. I hope this helps.
    Debt £16,000

Not employed...How to get rid of this debt!!Serious about Saving Money!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure