PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Has anyone bought a sewing machine from Cooper sewing machine discount.co.uk?

Options

Comments

• smackaine
    Options
    Sorry for the bump, but they appeared on Watchdog this week. Funny, if unpleasant viewing.
  • Junkinmytrunk91
    Options
    I am fuming with sewingmachinesdiscount.co.uk I have rang four times in the last 6 days, each person I spoke to I asked the same question...where is my sewing machine?! I ordered 28-12-12. The first person told me it had been refused when delivered and sent back to them (almost impossible and no delivery slip left at my address as proof) however I thought fair enough and he told me they where recieving it back that day and would be posted straight back out, this was last thurs so expect it Saturday as they claim on website next ay delivery! So the weekend came and went with no sign of it, I rang again on Monday and the man I spoke to without me giving him any clues that it hasn't been returned yet and there where some delays on Friday that messed up the weekend....well I rang Thursday so it's not relevant to me, he refused to give me a tracking number and that was the end of that phone call as he quickly rounded things up and said to ring back tomorrow if it had not arrived.......how would it have arrived if they had not received it back to re-send it out? I immediately rang back to speak to another useless member of staff that told me the warehouse had been closed for Xmas and they where only just getting the back log of orders sorted, then was lost for words when I told her about the previous phone calls and it been posted once already. I simply asked if I had been given three very vague excuses that just didn't ring true, was I ever going to receive my sewing machine that I had paid £200 for. Her reply was pretty much sorry I'm going home now call back tomorrow. Poor customer service to say the least. So my final call had ended in a very long time on hold then told it will arrive tomorrow and infact it's only been posted today at 1.45pm! Beyond a joke. They are a rubbish company and I hope my machine does not reflect that as I do not want to have to send it back as I imagine its more agro than its worth. I might also add that upon purchase the salesman was rude and abrupt and pressured me into the sale, however at the time of purchase I took it on the chin as I was too excited about buying my first modern sewing machine that I did not care how I was spoken to.. So this really is just a reminder to all that they have not improved and I wouldn't recommend buying from them at all! Thanks all and good luck with your purchases :)
  • Deb_sewandsew
    Options
    I believe in complaining and praising when appropriate and not until after I made an impulse purchase whilst on the phone checking a price did I bother to review the company (Coopers). I was horrified to find their TV appearance and feedback all over the web. All i can say is that they must be working hard to remove their stigma of Watchdog, I cannot praise them enough. I ordered an ex demo model and it arrived promptly (3 days). I was not pleased with the machine and asked them to take it back and I chose another (new) machine. They collected the one I ordered & delivered the new machine all within 24 hours. That is great service in anybody's book!! The new machine looks fab and comes with some extras they have included.
    I cannot wait to start using it and as far as I am concerned they offer a first rate service and everyone I spoke to on the phone were polite & helpful.
    Based on my experience I can only recommend them and give 9/10
  • Suz99
    Options
    I too bought a machine from sewing machines direct (not knowing it was coopers ) thinking that I had found a great deal. I was promised 10% discount off my machine and free gifts. Then only after i received a confirmation email, I realised the company was actually coopers sewing machines. I looked it up then found all the complaints and bad feedback from this company. I was really worried about it.

Anyway received my machine when stated, in perfect working order and have to say it is my dream machine. No free gifts were dispatched with it and I did not receive my 10% discount. Eventually I received the free gifts, after many emails ( I decided to only communicate via email after having read peoples bad experiences on the phone) but as of today still no 10% discount. I have been ignored and fobbed off with "we are investigating accounts for you" even though I sent them the original email that promised my account would be credited with the 10% discount apon dispatch of machine. So not entirely happy and would not use them again for any future purchases.
  • Siggi
    Siggi Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Considering that Coopers amount almost to a bunch of criminals (smashing up returned machines for just one example) how is it Amazon still deal with and validate them?!
  • moneymaker1000
    Options
    I ordered from them and 2 days later had a phone call to say that the machine was out of stock. They took a credit card payment when it was out of stock and that is illegal. I asked for a refund and they were very rude and aggressive especially when I refused all their upgrade offers and stuck tto insisting on a refund. They put the phone down on me and would not assist me with a refund. I contacted my credit card company and took out a payment dispute. I then telephoned Coopers to let them know what I had done. I now have a refund from them but it took muscle to get it. AVOID.
  • yellowlally
    yellowlally Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    I've just recently purchased a sewing machine from Coopers and to be fair I had good service. The sewing machine was a very reasonable price taking into account the free gifts advertised with it. It arrived on the Thursday as promised by the company. Unfortunately the free gifts did not arrive with the machine, but I rang the next day and spoke to a helpful young lady who posted the gifts straight out. No one I spoke to was rude, unpleasant or unhelpful, quite the opposite. I can only think that they must have 'upped their game' given the recent bad press, which I only found out about after I had purchased the machine, I got carried away by the cheap prices! The only two things which could be a drawback are that there is no email order progress update, I had to ring to find out when the order was being delivered, but again, they rang me straight back to tell me it was being delivered that day. The other thing is that I get the feeling they dont send the free gifts out with the machines, I'm not sure they would have sent them if I hadnt have rung to chase them. I am very happy with the service received and the sewing machine itself. I would definitely use them again. Also they have very very high customer ratings on Amazon, now Im not sure, but I thought you couldn't review a company unless you had ordered a product from them? Hope this helps someone, I can only speak as I found and obviously a number of people have had problems, but I am a satisfied customer.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just recently purchased a sewing machine from Coopers and to be fair I had good service. The sewing machine was a very reasonable price taking into account the free gifts advertised with it. It arrived on the Thursday as promised by the company. Unfortunately the free gifts did not arrive with the machine, but I rang the next day and spoke to a helpful young lady who posted the gifts straight out. No one I spoke to was rude, unpleasant or unhelpful, quite the opposite. I can only think that they must have 'upped their game' given the recent bad press, which I only found out about after I had purchased the machine, I got carried away by the cheap prices! The only two things which could be a drawback are that there is no email order progress update, I had to ring to find out when the order was being delivered, but again, they rang me straight back to tell me it was being delivered that day. The other thing is that I get the feeling they dont send the free gifts out with the machines, I'm not sure they would have sent them if I hadnt have rung to chase them. I am very happy with the service received and the sewing machine itself. I would definitely use them again. Also they have very very high customer ratings on Amazon, now Im not sure, but I thought you couldn't review a company unless you had ordered a product from them? Hope this helps someone, I can only speak as I found and obviously a number of people have had problems, but I am a satisfied customer.

There has been quite a bit of debate on here before about Amazon 'reviews'.

I personally base no credence on them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you want to buy a sewing machine of any make the company to go to is David Drummond in Edinburgh. I have been a happy customer of his for over 20 years.

He will talk you through what you want the machine to do and recommend the best one for you. It will be delivered the next day by courier; keep the box and you can send it back to him to get it serviced at his expense.

All his staff are very knowledgeable and if they do not know the answer will find out for you.

I have no affiliation to the firm, I am just a very happy customer who has recommended him to a lot of people wanting to buy a machine.
  • Notoverjoyed
    Options
    I made a telephone purchase of a Cooper Craftmaster on Thursday, and was told that if my machine wasn't with me on Friday it would be on Saturday. As both Friday and Saturday came and went without sign of my machine I telephoned again on Monday morning.
    Gone was the light-hearted friendly manner that greeted me when I was placing my order, and replaced by the rudest person I have come across in customer service.
    I was just about called a liar, because "no-one there would have said Saturday". When I insisted that they had, the attitude was well what do you want me to do about it ? When I said that maybe a little less attitude and an apology would have helped, I was given the barked reply of "I have said sorry that you misunderstood" - but the attitude continued to grow. I was quite frustrated by then and said that I was ending the conversation, and put the phone down. Well, what happened next was a real shock - he phoned me back on my landline to tell me how rude it was to hang up on someone !!
    A zero rate for service, but 10 out of 10 for comedy !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure