PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Has anyone bought a sewing machine from Cooper sewing machine discount.co.uk?

Options

Comments

• guff_2
    Options
    I bought a tailor's dummy from Coopers, it took ages for it to arrive when I did ring to check up they couldn't find my details on the system unless I had the exact date I ordederd and reference number. When it did arrive it didn't work, rang them and they wanted to nothing to do with it or me. Had to find the details of the company that made the tailor's dummy myself and they couldn't find the style I had. Turns out that model I was sold was from several years back (around about 8 years).

Guff
  • dasophster
    Options
    Wow I'm really shocked I bought my Machine from them a couple of years back now and everything went perfectly and machine has been great, it's a silver viscount model so not many places sell it. Have recommended them to a couple of friends recently as totally unaware of any problems with them, thankfully they got their machines with no trouble too. Definitely won't be going to Coopers again though, I have heard Silver themselves are pretty reasonable so will probably go direct next time xx
  • freijasnan
    freijasnan Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2012 at 12:32AM
    Options
    I almost bought a machine from them but read quite a few not so favourable reports so bought one from Sewing World a good deal but not impressed with them either I bought a Silver Viscount which am overall happy with.. but did have a problem with it ... so cut out the middle man went straight to Silver and found their service second to none very polite and efficient collected the machine and bought it back promptly even rang me on 2 occasions to keep me in the loop a 10/10 to them for me!!
  • Finefoot
    Finefoot Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for posting your experiences. I will definitely steer clear of them, back to the drawing board.....
    Loving the sunny days!
  • dasophster
    Options
    ^thanks for the heads up. I would have gone direct to Silver last time; as saw their rep on ideal world and he seemed lovely-really genuinely in the business for the love of it and really caring about the customers but its just the machine I wanted looked pricey on their site and saw it on coopers for half that, had I known about coopers reputation I would have paid twice as much just for the reassurance. Have also bought from SMD before as well; fantastic customer service but the machine they recommended me after my original choice wasn't in stock wasn't too great, wasn't able to handle thick or embroidered fabrics nor very thin chiffons and developed serious problems with tension after only 2 years and looking into fixing it, it wasn't really worth it. Would definitely only buy Silver again after trying so many brands over the years (both at home and school), it doesn't as much as twitch if I sew over sequins or sew really thick upholstery fabrics, or am sewing zips in whereas my old machine I'd be seriously flinching as on several occasions the needle broke and splintered into several pieces when sewing anything like that :o xx
  • freijasnan
    freijasnan Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2012 at 9:48AM
    Options
    dasophster wrote: »
    ^thanks for the heads up. I would have gone direct to Silver last time; as saw their rep on ideal world and he seemed lovely-really genuinely in the business for the love of it and really caring about the customers but its just the machine I wanted looked pricey on their site and saw it on coopers for half that, had I known about coopers reputation I would have paid twice as much just for the reassurance. Have also bought from SMD before as well; fantastic customer service but the machine they recommended me after my original choice wasn't in stock wasn't too great, wasn't able to handle thick or embroidered fabrics nor very thin chiffons and developed serious problems with tension after only 2 years and looking into fixing it, it wasn't really worth it. Would definitely only buy Silver again after trying so many brands over the years (both at home and school), it doesn't as much as twitch if I sew over sequins or sew really thick upholstery fabrics, or am sewing zips in whereas my old machine I'd be seriously flinching as on several occasions the needle broke and splintered into several pieces when sewing anything like that :o xx

I bought the Silver 9300E paid about £340.. this I thought was a good price for it a lot of machine for the money !!with a free walking foot, set of scissors and quilting table (but have to say took me quite a few phone calls and e.mails too get the extras as promised not too happy with Sewing Worlds service especially when I had the probs. with machine) when Silver had it back it appears was a known fault with bobbin case they have since changed the design, and they also gave me some free bobbins when sent back!

But! a lesson learned if I buy again will def. go to a local dealer when and if I get next one a full embroidery when money allows!!:)
  • knitonepurlone
    Options
    oh thank-you all for posting,I have been searching for a sewing machine since I had a terrible experience with Brother at the uk repair and returns in Manchester.Sent a warranty machine back (not in original box but well packaged)and they put hammer to it.Cant prove it but I asked for it back and got it.Funny thing was box is intacked.Looks like all these companys are the same.Wont be buying from any of them.Will look round for local shop.Please beware dont send your machine away use a recomended repairer its worth it my machine would have cost £20 ,now got nothing.
  • Carpetra
    Options
    I bought a new sewing machine in February, delivered on time using a delivery company in France that rang me before delivery as the weather was so bad, and they wanted to make sure I was in first!,
    I received an excellent service before and after ordering. A couple of weeks later I had a small technical problem which was soon corrected. The company was both quick, polite, helpful and efficient. I live in France and they rang me back and talked me thru the problem, bnoth patiently, and friendly at all times.
    I highly recommend them, for their fast, efficient, and helpful service. A company which was a pleasure to deal with! I can't speak more highly of them.:j:T
  • sallyandcatrin
    Options
    I bought a sewing machine off Ideal World TV from Coopers, Mr Cooper was on TV telling everyone what a wonderful British Company Silver were and how Coopers never have problems with their machines and they offer 15 years guarantee and free annual servicing for a modest price of £7 each way collection and delivery. This was a big influence on my decision to buy the Silver Viscount for £399. However when the machine broke down and wouldn't function at all, I rang and spoke to Mr Cooper who said they would fix it no problem but they no longer collect and deliver and I would have to post it to them at my expense! Given that this was a break down and not just a "free annual service" I was a bit shocked especially when it cost £30.50 to send it. I got a call a couple of days later saying the electronic panel was replaced but the bobbin case was also damaged and the led light and that was another £48.00. I refused to pay for the led light as it had been working when I returned it and they sent the machine back, it having cost £60.50. They sent it to the wrong address and it took a time for the courier to go and track it down in someones's shed at the bottom end of our lane. There was a bit of fabric with test stitching on it so as it was Christmas I just put it away. When I went to use the machine several weeks later, it wouldn't work and had the same problem I sent it to them for in the first place, a blank screen and a high pitched sound.
    I can verify that Mr Cooper is a nightmare to deal with. Ideal World have now parted company with him and sell Silver machines through Silver themselves, which despite all the hype about them being a British company, the machines are made in Taiwan.
    They have again repaired the machine and are refusing to refund my money and it seems they think it is okay to be stuck with a 15 year warranty which Coopers have no intention of honouring without great expense to me and not even properly repairing the machine to boot!
    I am going to issue proceedings in the County Court to get a full refund as there are clear grounds of misrepresentation and breaches under the Supply of Goods and Services Act.
    I would say avoid Coopers at all costs and don't order sewing machines on line - it is far too much trouble to get problems resolved, much better to pay a bit more and buy one locally where you can just take it back in and get a more personal service.
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Toxic_Lemon Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a Silver Viscount 9500E from Coopers via Ideal World too. And I am well aware if Coopers being a nightmare for customers.

Simple solution is this: any problems, phone your local Trading Standards or look at your Home Insurance policy and see if you're covered for Legal Fees and get a solicitor to send a snot-o-gram. Simples! ;)
    TL
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport