New Talktalk poll; feedback needed, good and bad

in Phones & TV
759 replies 147.1K views

Replies

• m5gsxm5gsx Forumite
    2 Posts
    I've been on with Talk Talk broadband for about 6 months now (9 months on the phone) and have had absolutely no problems what so ever - apart from the delay in initial connection.
    I believe the reason for my success was the fact that I DID NOT USE THEIR MODEM OR ANY OF THEIR SOFTWARE - I already had a modem which cost me all of £10 which was up and running in no time, as soon as my line went active for broadband I simply input the username and password supplied by Talk Talk and hey presto online ! My pc is left on 24/7 and is connected to the net 24/7 - it never drops out, I am lead to believe that the modem and software supplied by Talk Talk is designed to 'drop' dormant connections and can be a wee bit too keen, hence connections being dropped left right and centre.
    A friend has been suffering the dropped connection problem and has just uninstalled all Talk Talk software and modem, after reinstalling ONLY THE MODEM DRIVERS his problems have all vanished into the ether - connection has not been dropped for over 4 days continuous use (left dormant all night)
    I hope this may help some unfortunate people who are suffering at the hands of the fools employed by Talk Talk - just because they say they know what they are Talk Talking about . . . . .
  • m5gsxm5gsx Forumite
    2 Posts
    Just a note, the 0870 number to Talk Talk is FREE if dialed from a Talk Talk line - not alot of people know that - so keep them on the line, they're paying for it !!
  • People are all to quick to write to complain about a failed service, and rarely write to praise. In this instance I have to write to complain.

I ordered Talk Talk Option 3 basic. I just needed the connection for phone and broadband. What did I get Option 3 international and the modem which, I was charged for.

Connection date arrived, I input all correct details and we're up and running, Brilliant! Three different operating systems connected no problems.

One day I cant get connection, I tried everything, Username, Password, DHCP, Reinstall Modem, Different Modem (Talk Talks', Kinda handy after all), etc nothing worked. Error message was "Server Not Found". Rang the 0870 number (free from your registered Talk Talk phone). Went through the usual blah, they rolled of their script, even though I kept on telling them the error message (Little Britain comes to mind). Got cut off three times. Then their lines were now closed (2200hrs). Rang back the next day, went back through the usual again, Name, Address, Bank, Username, Password. For them to turn round and say I am trying to connect you to Second line faults. After ten minutes of waiting they said that they would record the fault on my account and forward it to Second line to ring me back within the next 24/48 hours. I asked them if they have an alternative number for second line or a direct dial number, I was given an 0871 number, this will cost you something in the region of 10 pence a minute, I needed my connection restored as I had work to do. So I had to ring the number only to find it just takes you to the normal customer services point. After banging my head against a brick wall, all I see to do was wait for the call from second line. So I waited and waited, then I waited some more, the call never came. Rang back the 0870 number and have to go through the whole lot again even though I said that you should have it up on screen, it's still the same fault "Server Not Found". They tried Second line again and guess what happened this time? you got it no joy busy. Logged the fault again to be passed on so second line would ring me back (Good job I had taken 20 days break, would have been stuck if I was at work).

This time the call came through and I missed it, I was outside getting the shopping in and heard the phone ring, I got to it just as the answer phone kicked in. I retrieved the message to hear, "Good morning this is ***** from Talk Talk second line, I am ringing about your broad band fault, as you are not in we will try to ring you in the next 24/48 hours". I cant wait any longer for this as I still have work to do, so I rang customer services straight back and asked to be put through to ***** at second line. I know I was dreaming but I had to give it a go. Anyway I requested the logged fault be amended with the addition of my mobile phone, so if second line tried to ring and got no reply they could ring my mobile and I would be next to my home phone within minutes. I thought this would be best, waited for the call again. By the way a week has now elapsed for this fault. Another 48 hours passed and I was now changing colour more times than a chameleon. Time now for sneaky alternatives, I was able to get hold of the central switchboard number. I confidently rang up and asked to speak to ***** at second line, the line went silent and then a voice said "****** second line" YEE HAA!!! I'm through I thought. I explained the problem and went through the fault finding process with this gentleman who had no apparent accent. We both ended up scratching our heads on this one. Then the second line guy said "have you been switched over to the LLU yet?" He went and checked to see if my area had been switched or not. Guess what I had been switched over the same day all the problems started. I was informed that I should have a letter detailing the date of change, I had received nothing. We changed the settings to the LLU setup and I was up and running. Great I thanked the guy and started to do my work. I went to bed that night much happier. Next morning up I got looked at the modem and all seemed fine, only to find that when I tried to connect I got Server Not Found (The air was blue). I tried to ring through direct but the operator wouldn't connect me. So here we go again, customer services. I logged the fault with them and they said that Second Line would contact me in the next 24/48 hours. I had enough by this point, I verbally took a chunk out of the customer service person and got the to put me through to Options (the disconnection department). I explained all this to the lady on the phone, saying they are NOT providing the service they claim to and she said "OK" we will terminate your contract in the next 5 working days and gave me a phone number to ring to sort out returning the modem for a full refund. All of this was done without drama, why cant the rest of their customer service be like this.

I am a firm believer that First Impressions are the most important. Talk Talk you need to sort this out ASAP. We all know why customer service calls are routed to places like India, but surely it's better to retain your customers than loose them through poor customer services.

I have now gone back to BT for calls and are trying Freedom 2 Surf for broadband. Reasonable price, static I/P which will come in handy in the future, easy package upgrade and also able to supply Business broadband. Works for me.
  • People are all to quick to write to complain about a failed service, and rarely write to praise. In this instance I have to write to complain.

I ordered Talk Talk Option 3 basic. I just needed the connection for phone and broadband. What did I get Option 3 international and the modem which, I was charged for.

Connection date arrived, I input all correct details and we're up and running, Brilliant! Three different operating systems connected no problems.

One day I cant get connection, I tried everything, Username, Password, DHCP, Reinstall Modem, Different Modem (Talk Talks', Kinda handy after all), etc nothing worked. Error message was "Server Not Found". Rang the 0870 number (free from your registered Talk Talk phone). Went through the usual blah, they rolled of their script, even though I kept on telling them the error message (Little Britain comes to mind). Got cut off three times. Then their lines were now closed (2200hrs). Rang back the next day, went back through the usual again, Name, Address, Bank, Username, Password. For them to turn round and say I am trying to connect you to Second line faults. After ten minutes of waiting they said that they would record the fault on my account and forward it to Second line to ring me back within the next 24/48 hours. I asked them if they have an alternative number for second line or a direct dial number, I was given an 0871 number, this will cost you something in the region of 10 pence a minute, I needed my connection restored as I had work to do. So I had to ring the number only to find it just takes you to the normal customer services point. After banging my head against a brick wall, all I see to do was wait for the call from second line. So I waited and waited, then I waited some more, the call never came. Rang back the 0870 number and have to go through the whole lot again even though I said that you should have it up on screen, it's still the same fault "Server Not Found". They tried Second line again and guess what happened this time? you got it no joy busy. Logged the fault again to be passed on so second line would ring me back (Good job I had taken 20 days break, would have been stuck if I was at work).

This time the call came through and I missed it, I was outside getting the shopping in and heard the phone ring, I got to it just as the answer phone kicked in. I retrieved the message to hear, "Good morning this is ***** from Talk Talk second line, I am ringing about your broad band fault, as you are not in we will try to ring you in the next 24/48 hours". I cant wait any longer for this as I still have work to do, so I rang customer services straight back and asked to be put through to ***** at second line. I know I was dreaming but I had to give it a go. Anyway I requested the logged fault be amended with the addition of my mobile phone, so if second line tried to ring and got no reply they could ring my mobile and I would be next to my home phone within minutes. I thought this would be best, waited for the call again. By the way a week has now elapsed for this fault. Another 48 hours passed and I was now changing colour more times than a chameleon. Time now for sneaky alternatives, I was able to get hold of the central switchboard number. I confidently rang up and asked to speak to ***** at second line, the line went silent and then a voice said "****** second line" YEE HAA!!! I'm through I thought. I explained the problem and went through the fault finding process with this gentleman who had no apparent accent. We both ended up scratching our heads on this one. Then the second line guy said "have you been switched over to the LLU yet?" He went and checked to see if my area had been switched or not. Guess what I had been switched over the same day all the problems started. I was informed that I should have a letter detailing the date of change, I had received nothing. We changed the settings to the LLU setup and I was up and running. Great I thanked the guy and started to do my work. I went to bed that night much happier. Next morning up I got looked at the modem and all seemed fine, only to find that when I tried to connect I got Server Not Found (The air was blue). I tried to ring through direct but the operator wouldn't connect me. So here we go again, customer services. I logged the fault with them and they said that Second Line would contact me in the next 24/48 hours. I had enough by this point, I verbally took a chunk out of the customer service person and got the to put me through to Options (the disconnection department). I explained all this to the lady on the phone, saying they are NOT providing the service they claim to and she said "OK" we will terminate your contract in the next 5 working days and gave me a phone number to ring to sort out returning the modem for a full refund. All of this was done without drama, why cant the rest of their customer service be like this.

I am a firm believer that First Impressions are the most important. Talk Talk you need to sort this out ASAP. We all know why customer service calls are routed to places like India, but surely it's better to retain your customers than loose them through poor customer services.

I have now gone back to BT for calls and are trying Freedom 2 Surf for broadband. Reasonable price, static I/P which will come in handy in the future, easy package upgrade and also able to supply Business broadband. Works for me.

• hurrahhurrah Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    m5gsx wrote:
    Just a note, the 0870 number to Talk Talk is FREE if dialed from a Talk Talk line - not alot of people know that - so keep them on the line, they're paying for it !!

Not a lot of good if your phone does not work and you have to use alternative way to ring it.

They wouldnt be paying for call anyway.;)
  • PAULAPEA_2PAULAPEA_2 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I Have been with talktalk since October 06. it was activated quickly.
    but i can not use the internet because its either so slow your hanging around for ever or it just wont go on line at all. its driving me mad.

paulapea:confused::confused::confused:
  • I joined in december and had no problems accessing the broadband or phoneline. Both activated on the dates I was told it would. Did have problems getting my wireless router to hook up. Spent 90mins on the phone talking to different technicians to try and set it up. Most of them in India - had a problem understanding my accent and me theirs. Eventually got through to an english lady with a lancashire accent, that knew excatly what the problem was and talked me through the installation of my router and I was up and running straight away. Have been with the broadband for 3 weeks now and no problems. Phone line has been working for 9 weeks.
  • I applied for Broadband to be added to my Talk 3 Package on Sept 7th 2006, after disconecting my Tiscali Service on the recomendation of TalkTalk. I was advised conection would be in October 2006 and TalkTalk took over my Line. In October I was advised due to LLU work it would be November. When nothing happened in November I chased in December and was told to wait three weeks for a problem situation to be investigated. Over Christmas/ New Year, I was advised I cannot have BroadBand untill November 2007.

Faced with this I started to move my Line back to BT, to allow me to look at alternatives, but advised TalkTalk, I did wish to continue with the Talk3 Service. They confirmed this was OK and emailed me confirming my Account would stay live.

On the first BT Invoice, I found all my Calls were with BT, and TalkTalk have closed my account with no refunds for the Services I had paid for.

On trying to rejoin Talk3, I am told because the account was closed, to apply afresh and go through a 21 Day cooling off period. I tried everyting, but could not get a quick connection. Am I synical, or is this a way of getting me to sign a new contract ??.

Best was today, when I went to join Talk3, I was advised by Sales I could not as I was already a customer, just waiting for Broad Band to be connected.

My advice, if you can avoid Talk Talk, do so, they now appear to have stepped beyond Bad Service.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals