What to do when a partner/spouse dies.

Options

Comments

• MinnieSpender
    Options
    Sorry, very dull and boring, but a relative has recently been bereaved and is now on her own. As such, she is entitled to a 25% discount on her payments and may get a refund on anything overpaid.

To get this, you need to phone the council tax office and ask them to send you the relevant forms to fill in declaring that you are now classed as a single person.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • WallyBird
    WallyBird Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    My mother died before Christmas too. We knew it was not going to be long, so my father moved their joint money from her accounts into his, so that he would have money to use until the probate went through. It is hard to think of such things at such a difficult time, but it would have been worse if he hadn't done it.
  • MartinT-Surrey
    Options
    Hi Martin

This is not really financial advice, but the WAY Foundation is a support group for people widowed and young (WAY) (under 50). Mostly our aim is just to provide support to others in this most difficult of situations, but within that is a vast amount of experience on getting through the legal and financial minefields of bereavement. Anybody widowed and under 50 can get more details about WAY at https://www.wayfoundation.org.uk . Hope this of help.
  • montycat_2
    Options
    Hi MartinT-Surrey ,

I am a member of WAY ,I mentioned it in an earlier post .I have found it very helpful so I support your mention .
  • montycat_2
    Options
    Hi MartinT-Surrey ,

I am a member of WAY ,I mentioned it in an earlier post .I have found it very helpful so I support your mention .
  • catwarden_2
    Options
    My Mum and Dad struggled to buy a funeral bond a couple of years ago-going without nice holidays etc. Mum died last year and because she had a bond Dad was not able to claim the Funeral Grant a spouse can claim of they DO NOT take out a bond.
    So my husband and I have taken out £2000 premuim bonds (£1000 each) so the first of us left alone can claim the grant, cash in the £1000 in their name and invest it in the living one's name and also stand a chance of winning.
  • bigpaws23
    bigpaws23 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Options
    Oh My,

I'm new to the forum and this thread is so sad. I want to take a moment to send my condolences to everyone who has been through such difficult times and to thank you for setting up this very important thread.

This is something my DP and I have 'talked' about, but done nothing about.

We are not married, and we have a 6 year old child together. We have no wills and my name is not on the mortgage and he has an ex with an axe to grind (her choice to leave, but just won't let go; I'm sure you get the picture) who also had a child with him.

So, if anything dreadful were to happen to my DP my daughter and I would be in a pretty horrendous position i take it?

We have discussed getting married (I refused from a 'we live like a married couple, so what else could it add to our relationship' viewpoint), but if I take away the 'romance' idea of marriage away and look at this very starkly, would it be better for us all?

I am so confused by all of this and hate the thought of a marriage based on money and 'safety' but perhaps I need to get my heads out of the clouds and understand a little more.

Any suggestions / advice?

many thanks and my heartfelt sympathies again for all of you that have been through such awful situations..........

bigpaws x
  • ilona_2
    ilona_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I was widowed 5 years ago & fully understand the pain. We'd planned an extension to the house that I knew would add value & I went ahead with it - good idea as it was therapeutic having people around, making decisions, keeping busy.
    Then it went wrong as I put the house on the market just 1 year after losing my husband & went to live near my sister. It was a total disaster & I moved back to my original town 20 months later. I thought being close to my sister would solve my loneliness, but it didn't & she drove me mad as she didn't understand how I felt never having been through it.
    So it cost me loads of money what with stamp duty, estate agent's fees, legals & of course I did it twice. Now I know that 1 year is far too soon to make such a big decision as your head & heart are still all over the place. Yes, consider moving if you want to make a fresh start or downsize, but leave it for at least 2 years.
    That was my experience. Hope it helps.
  • up_the_city
    Options
    What is not know and the department of social security keeps it very quiet is the fact that if a partner dies the surviving partner can claim back all of the National Insurance contributions paid by the deceased. Well worth remenbering.
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    Why I'm doing this?

Very sadly, just before Christmas one of the chat forum's user's husband died, and she received great support and advice through it (here's the original thread, and of course I checked with Stormybay she wouldn't mind me making this public)

It made me think, at that difficult time, help is needed to sort out the logistics of money, and organisation - a checklist of things to do, as thinking straight at such a time is very hard.

Is it just for a spouse/partner

No, if it applies when another close family member, or a friend for whom you act as next of kin dies, tips there are relevant too.

What help I want?

So I need your help, those who've been through it, please feedback your experience and advice, I'll then combine this with my own notes and make an checklist article everyone can use if they need it.

Thank you

Martin
    threadbanner.gif
  • Greenyblue
    Options
    Somethings people may not be aware of:-

If deceased spouse/partner is the main name on car insurance, you're car insurance will no longer be valid so that's something you will have to do quickly. It doesn't matter that you have paid for the year. Policy ends on death of main policy holder.
    Keep a log of calls/letters to insurance companies, banks/building societies and confirm in writing any queries you have.. Initially you are led to believe that everything will be settled quickly. They don't.
    If you have mortgage insurance, you will still have to continue paying your mortgage until the account is settled by the insurance company. This could be difficult for those without works pension/savings/income.
    Contact Pensions Service. You may be entitled to £2000 payment plus monthly pension for 1 year. if you're spouse/partner was in full-time occupation.
    Contact previous employers re-pensions. You may be entitled to lump sum. I was advised not eligible by one previous company however 10 months after, I received a letter saying some monies were due. It's sad at a time when you're less able to cope, large companies give you wrong information.

The other major advice I would give is trust your instincts. If it's a partner/wife/husband, you knew them best. Others may have opinions but afterwards there is comfort in knowing that your loved ones arrangements were as they would have wanted them.
    Very sorry to hear of your sad loss. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure