MSE Parent Club

Options

Comments

• ziggy2004
    ziggy2004 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we had a cheap thermometor for ds1 but have never actually looked at it after we put it on the wall so have not bothered this time round.

Ruben is ahving a bad day today and is really fussy (has been since 5:30 am (yawn) not sure what is up with him am hoping it is a growthspurt as then it will at least be over soon.

X Anne
  • Lu_T
    Lu_T Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you in the West Yorks or Greater Manchester area there is a Mamas and Papas outlet shop in Cooper Bridge just outside Huddersfield. :money:

They sell last season's stuff, shop soiled and slightly damaged things. They do furniture, prams & travel systems, clothes, toys etc. Well worth a visit. The shop is at their head office, so the address should be online or PM me for info.
    MSE Parent Club Member #1
    Yummy slummy mummy club member
    50% slummy, 50% mummy, 100% proud
    Imogen born Boxing Day 2006
    Alex born 13 July 2009
  • roversbabe
    roversbabe Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Congratulations! I have a 25 week old son and have found that re-usable nappies are the best way I've saved money. I got a £45 voucher from Lancs county council (check your local council's website as they may offer a similar scheme) and bought some Mother Ease nappies and wraps, then I got some second had Kooshies from ebay and they're fantastic.

We only use disposable nappies at night and we get Tesco's own - they're far better than Asda's own.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 027

Debt free: 6th April 06 :T Proud to have dealt with my debts
  • new_mum_again
    Options
    Congratulations on your baby:j we have a Joshua 6mths old now 10lb 11oz at birth now alot more!!:eek: and a 5 yr old girl who was 8lb 8oz and a boy 7 who was 8lb 6oz. Thankfully Joshua sleeps through the night and has done since he was 3wks old i read in a book when pregnant with first child that once they slept through the night not to feed them again and have done that with all 3 they didnt seem bothered but i did use a dummy though for the first 1 and a half years but they both put them under their pillows for the dummy fairies to take away with no fuss at 18 mths:j
    I cant remember the name of the book I borrowed it from the library (nearly 8 yrs ago i will go in monday though and see if they have any records) I think it was something to do with sucking as i found my son to be waking for a bottle having a few mouthfuls then going back to sleep so gave him a dummy and as long as it was in he was happy also remember it saying to not let them fall asleep in your arms on your breast/bottle as imagine how you would feel to wake up in a completly different place to where you went to sleep. That worked for me every baby is different though Our last one Joshua from the age of 3 weeks would have about 3/4 4oz bottles at 7pm then not wake til 7-730am. He was a big fella at that age and would drink his normal amount during the day aswell.He has been on solids since 4mths (hv advice) I am sooo lucky with him though as he does sleep during the day aswell.he has a nap on the way home after taking the other 2 to school for 1-1 1/2hrs then at 1pm i put him to bed for 1-1/2hrs then he has a pre bedtime nap at 5pm for an hr!!
    I miss my mum every minute of every day :cry: R.I.P xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lu T pls can u tell me what the dimensions are on the light? thanks also anyone have a discount code for the site, that would be fab!!

Thanks
  • cha97michelle
    cha97michelle Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    :T Congrats LuT on the birth. I know what you mean about forgetting the pain, as i have already been having the discussions with DH about when we can have the next one,even though i know in my head that it won't be that soon. :o

In hospital i had a really bad night with Charlie, and a midwife took him off me, and sat him on her chest, feet pointing to your head, head supported with one hand, back with the other, and then proceeded to bend him into the foetal position. It looked cruel, but that is how he was in the womb, and it got rid of the wind that had troubled him for 5 hours. That still works now, although i don't bend him as bad as she did as it reminds me of a deckchair being folded. :rotfl:

Charlie has had major wind problems, and i have tried infacol (best price £2.99 from Boots, and can be bought with points) which i think really works. I have also been advised to feed him (Breast fed) to force the wind through, and to keep a food diary to see what foods affect him about 16 hours after i ate them, which i found to be broccoli. Wind causing foods - wine, vinegar, beans, cabbage, cauli, broccoli, onions. You can then eliminate from your diet.
    We've also tried sitting on my gym ball with charlie held over the shoulder, and bounced gently till it came out. And now he's a bit bigger, we sit him on a knee, support under each armpit, and bounce him without bottom leaving the knee and that works.

I have to say the main cause of Charlie's colic was that he is a very hungry baby, and i couldn't make enough milk to keep up. Now i feed him expressed milk mostly with some formula feeds he is like a different baby. (Although the midwife is convinced my milk will dry up totally, i'm not bothered if he isn't screaming all day at me)

I'm currently excited as Charlie slept through properly for the 1st time last night. (9pm to 6:30am) although the technical definition is between 12 and 5, which he regularly does. I kept waking up though to check on him as he was murmuring.

After reading this thread, i think the dummy trick is probably right. I have been getting Charlie out of bed for weeks now at not more than a murmur, and more often than not he is sick after the night feed, so he probably hasn't needed it.

Sorry this ended up being a long post, but i had lots i wanted to share. ;) Might help someone get a bit of rest somewhere.

Michelle. x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    that tip michelle sounds great re: bouncing him. unfortunately we cant try it as our little man has reflux and bouncing him would make it worse.

the foetal position tip, when u say the mw had charlie on her chest, was she laying down, i can't quite picture what u mean. sorry.

1 hand typing again!!
  • cha97michelle
    First Anniversary
    Options
    foetal position - you are sat up on a chair or bed. Baby sits on your chest in a V shape with legs pointing up to your chin, and you supporting his head and back. Gently move baby backwards and forwards. Basically forcing his knees and legs against the tummy, which leaves no room for wind. :D It looks painful, but babies really are very flexible.

hopefully you should be able to do this even if the baby has reflux. To be honest, Charlie hasn't really been that sicky of a baby, so you might want to try it and if it doesn't work, you only have one outfit to wash. ;) No-one i've talked to has ever heard of this position for winding before, and it isn't something i would have thought to try if i hadn't seen it.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Now i feed him expressed milk mostly with some formula feeds he is like a different baby. (Although the midwife is convinced my milk will dry up totally, i'm not bothered if he isn't screaming all day at me)

Hi Michelle, I fed my son expressed breast milk for 11 1/2 months, without milk drying up. To keep up supply express, baby out stripping your supply express more - it will take a few days for your body to meet the new demand but it will, just the same as breast feeding. Make sure friends and family offer you lots of support as you expressing takes the time and energy of breastfeeding but also the hassel of sterlising bottles and equiment. If I can support you in any other way feel free to PM me.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • cha97michelle
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that Baileys babe - that is just what i thought.

I need the added benefit of knowing what he was eating, as before i went onto bottles he was feeding every hour for half an hour, and then crying for half an hour till the next fee, and i was exhausted. At least this way i get some rest.

No-one tells you how hard it is just holding them while Bfeeding, let alone the making the milk, and not having time to even eat. I'm much better now i'm doing what my instinct says.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure