Home-made cakes thread 2

Options

Comments

• Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Trusty old Good Housekeeping says 6, 9 & 12" for 3 tiers, or 12 & 8" or 10 & 6" for 2 tiers, hope that helps:)
  • nuttymummy
    nuttymummy Posts: 646 Forumite
    Options
    i use 6 and 8" for 2 tier, or 10,8,6, for 3...but sometimes i use 8,6,4....its all about preference (and the fact i dont own any odd size i.e 7,9 etc) LOL
    :dance:
    Cake Designer
    see contact info for website!
  • awesome2_2
    awesome2_2 Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd use a 6" for the top tier - definitely not more than 7".

Your dowels need to support the top tier so should be evenly spaced about 2 1/2" from the centre - use 3 or 4.

And yes, you need a cake board the same size as your top tier otherwise the dowels could just penetrate the top cake and it might sink together making a mess of your lovely icing. :)

Thanks a lot:T
  • nuttymummy
    nuttymummy Posts: 646 Forumite
    Options
    wow im upto my eyeballs in cake!
    ive taken 3 very detailed cakes on for weekend, and think ive bitten off more than i can chew...especially with catching a train on saturday to london aswell!

one cake done....and 2 to finish today! its not looking good! LOL

could do with an extra set of arms, and ive just become and auntie again at 1.30pm this morning.....and i cant even visit :(
    :dance:
    Cake Designer
    see contact info for website!
  • julie03
    julie03 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    made a pokemon cake for last weekend for my sons birthday, didnt quite go to plan as pikachu looks a little weird, better than the first attempt which was extremely obese, also made some cupcakes which my son saw on here so thanks to moosetastic for the inspiration

DSC_0474.jpg
    DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg
  • Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Hi everyone, any sugestions for the best place to buy edible decorations for cupcakes please? Obviously I can get all the sprinkle types from the supermarkets but I mean the little objects like flowers, butterflys, hearts etc.

OR are there any instruction vidoes on how to make them? I have absolutley no clue how to start I know nothing though about making things from icing or whatever they are made out of :o
  • X_YuMmY_X
    X_YuMmY_X Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    P1030841.jpg

friends birthday cake I made earlier this week!
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    That's lovely Yummy.
    Keeping Motivated, once you learn more about cake decorating you'll see how easy it is to do stuff. Little flowers, butterflies etc can be made using roll out icing and mini cutters. All the equipment you need as a cake maker is really quite expensive, but if you get a couple of bits at a time, you'll have a whole set soon :)
  • awesome2_2
    awesome2_2 Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, any sugestions for the best place to buy edible decorations for cupcakes please? Obviously I can get all the sprinkle types from the supermarkets but I mean the little objects like flowers, butterflys, hearts etc.

OR are there any instruction vidoes on how to make them? I have absolutley no clue how to start I know nothing though about making things from icing or whatever they are made out of :o

Hi
    You can get allsorts of edible decorations on ebay if you type in edible cake toppers you will get a good selection:o
  • moosetastic
    moosetastic Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    julie03 wrote: »
    made a pokemon cake for last weekend for my sons birthday, didnt quite go to plan as pikachu looks a little weird, better than the first attempt which was extremely obese, also made some cupcakes which my son saw on here so thanks to moosetastic for the inspiration

DSC_0474.jpg
    DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

awww thank you julie, they look really yummy, and I love your Pikachu!! Well cute :T x
    You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport