Home-made cakes thread 2

Options

Comments

• Keeping_Motivated
    Options
    Hi everyone, great cakes, you are all amazingly talented they are lovely.

I've been making cupcakes and I love them and they have been successful however the recipe I use does not have corn flour in and I keep seeing recipes for cupcakes that say to use it.

What do you think is it better to use the corn flour or not? And what difference does it actually make?

Thanks
    KM
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Options
    For every 4 oz flour the recipe requires use 3 oz flour and 1 oz of cornflour. It makes your cupcakes lighter.

My recipe is 4 oz sugar; 4 oz margarine; 3 oz SR flour; 1 oz cornflour; 2 eggs; a splash of milk if needed for the right consistency. :)
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    My Wilton 2D tube arrived so I've made some cupcakes to bring into work tomorrow. I love the roses and how individual they are - just as in nature. They're not perfect but I doubt I'll get too many complaints either. lol

IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0444-1.jpg
  • cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Thinking about buying a giant cupcake mould....should I go for a cheaper silicone one or is it worth paying the extra and buying an aluminium one like Lakeland's, will the results be any better !
  • Mamascakes
    Mamascakes Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you GOLDEN ANEMONE

Sorry, I still cannot post links (how long do I have to wait??!!)

Thank you! Great links, very helpful! Just one more question; how would you work out the best sizes to put together? Or would you always stick to no less than 2" smaller, for example, as you work your way up?
    Thank you for your help!

I cannot seem to get on any courses near where I live, or not any that I can afford! So I am self taught through experimenting, watching you tube, googling or now from you all on here! The support is much appreciated!
  • moosetastic
    moosetastic Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    cherydee wrote: »
    Thinking about buying a giant cupcake mould....should I go for a cheaper silicone one or is it worth paying the extra and buying an aluminium one like Lakeland's, will the results be any better !

hi cherydee, the one I have used above is a silicon case, I got it from Ebay for only a couple of pounds, it works well once you get the cake quantity right. Plus, after everyone recommended it on here, I use Cake Release now and it comes out clean every time, I always wonder what I ever did without it!!
    You're so very special, I wish I was special :dance:

• nuttymummy
    nuttymummy Posts: 646 Forumite
    Options
    lovely cakes everyone!
    like the 2 colour effect you have with the rose cupcakes....ive had a 2d nozzle sat here for ages and havent even used it yet! LOL

lovely work everyone :)
    :dance:
    Cake Designer
    see contact info for website!
  • zippybungle
    zippybungle Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    cherydee wrote: »

I have a cheap silicone one and works perfectly fine for me.
    Just make sure you grease the mould with butter or marg and then dust the it generously with flour, this will stop the cake sticking to the mould.

Zippy x
    :p Busy working Mum of 3 :wave:
  • rubysmummy_2
    rubysmummy_2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    well i got a brevlle mixer and i love it!! Sooo much easier than a hand mixer - thanks for Annie for your recommendation. i managed to ice 175 cakes last night for the charity event tonight - although i ran out towards the end and had to improvise. i shall post pics either tonight or tomorrow

Thanks everyone for your support and advice - lets hope tonight goes well!!
  • Golden_Anemone
    Options
    Mamascakes wrote: »
    Thank you GOLDEN ANEMONE

Sorry, I still cannot post links (how long do I have to wait??!!)

Thank you! Great links, very helpful! Just one more question; how would you work out the best sizes to put together? Or would you always stick to no less than 2" smaller, for example, as you work your way up?
    Thank you for your help!

I cannot seem to get on any courses near where I live, or not any that I can afford! So I am self taught through experimenting, watching you tube, googling or now from you all on here! The support is much appreciated!

The at least 2" smaller thing is my personal preference mamascakes rather than a rule. Though if there is less than 2" difference you will be left with less than 1" all the way round the cake and in my opinion this will look odd.

Try to picture what the cakes would look on top of each other - if possible use the tins upside down and stacked on top of each other to try this out so you can visualise the finished cake.

My cake tins are 6", 9" and 12" and these look great tiered.

Not sure how long the links take, sorry. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport