Home-made cakes thread 2

Options

Comments

• rubysmummy_2
    rubysmummy_2 Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    hey everyone, well the charity night went really well - they earned over £700. Here is a couple of pics of my cakes - the little ones were freebies then people could buy the bigger ones

264540_10150231323016636_708146635_7600625_1301737_n.jpg

264540_10150231322966636_708146635_7600622_8265079_n.jpg

sorry for the massive pictures
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    Well here it is. My first cake for a paying customer. it's taken me all week.
    photo-13.jpg
  • cakesandbakes
    Options
    photo-103.jpg
    Hi all,

I've been on the MSE forums for a few months and amazingly hadn't found this thread, too busy over on the comp threads! I'm an avid amateur baker, been doing it for about 5 years as a spare time thing but it consumes everything I do. It's my dream to do it full time. This is my latest creation, hope the image isn't too big! It's a double vanilla cake with vanilla & raspberry filling. The lid is fondant covered card, the base of the chest is all cake with 2 dowels to hold the lid at that angle. All the decoration is fondant including the hand painted map (expect the coins) I found a choc coin making machine in the kids section of Home Bargains so I used Galaxy chocolate and milkybars to make my own coins. It was pure luck that there was a skull n cross bones & ship amongst the coin press images!

I look forward to chatting about cakes and all the associated fun, madness & costs!!
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely cakes everyone as usual. Can I ask if you make maderia cake do you add lemon to it. I find maderia dry (last one I made was like a brick, dont know what I done) but someone told me if you add lemon juice to it, it makes it much moister. I like a victoria sponge but I am making a stacked 3-tier cake for niece birthday and need something firmer that will last a bit longer. Anyone any good tips for a moist maderia please. Also if you make a chocolate cake to cover in fondant what type do you normally go for as may make one layer chocolate.
    Thanks
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • cakesandbakes
    Options
    hamish222 wrote: »
    Lovely cakes everyone as usual. Can I ask if you make maderia cake do you add lemon to it. I find maderia dry (last one I made was like a brick, dont know what I done) but someone told me if you add lemon juice to it, it makes it much moister. I like a victoria sponge but I am making a stacked 3-tier cake for niece birthday and need something firmer that will last a bit longer. Anyone any good tips for a moist maderia please. Also if you make a chocolate cake to cover in fondant what type do you normally go for as may make one layer chocolate.
    Thanks

I use Martha Stewarts Chocolate Devils Food recipe for my chocolate cakes, they're lovely and moist as they have sour cream in them. As for a sturdy vanilla maybe try a pound cake or butter cake rather than madeira if you find it too dry. I've yet to find a vanilla cake that beats my victoria sponge but as you say it's a nightmare when it comes to stacked, tall or intricately carved cakes.

My new favourite is white chocolate mudcake with galaxy buttercream, its about 5 million calories per slice but worth every bite :D
  • Tiggger
    Tiggger Posts: 116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My new favourite is white chocolate mudcake with galaxy buttercream, its about 5 million calories per slice but worth every bite :D

Sounds divine! Recipe please or a pointer to where it came from, thanks

Tiggger
  • lizalloareds
    lizalloareds Posts: 1,838 Forumite
    Options
    I have been asked to make 60 cupcakes for my friends niece who is having her 21st party on the 22nd july

Has anyone tried the Humming bird bakery recipe or do you know of any other good cupcake recipes, also looking to get a good frosting recipe as she want the icing to look like mr whipy ice cream and need to find american cupcake cases

tia
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • cakesandbakes
    Options
    Tiggger wrote: »
    Sounds divine! Recipe please or a pointer to where it came from, thanks

Tiggger

It's from my Good Housekeeping Cake decorating book, there's a great section at the back with various cakes to use as a base for decorating. I can't find an exact recipe so this one on mumsnet seems to be the same off the top of my head:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/3084-White-chocolate-mud-cake

It's quite different from the usual cream butter & sugar method. It develops quite a hard crust so it's great for stacking and taste gorgeous inside.
  • awesome2_2
    awesome2_2 Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely cakes ladies

Annie loving the Rapunzel tower how did you make the shape of the tower its lovley

Cakesand bakes Just found a recipe for the devils food cake what is the choclate in the recipe do you use just ordinary coca?

Thanks
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2011 at 6:15PM
    Options
    awesome2 wrote: »
    Lovely cakes ladies

Annie loving the Rapunzel tower how did you make the shape of the tower its lovley

Thank you :o
    I made the tower out of Rice Krispie squares (homemade)
    It looked like a huge willy before I decorated it :o:o

PS The cake has just been collected. THEY LOVED IT :j:j:j :T
    I'm so pleased :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills