🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Home-made cakes thread 2

Options

Comments

• Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Question for all your lovely bakers, if I'm planning on making a chocolate victoria sponge, how much flour should I substitute for cocoa?
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Gillyx wrote: »
    Question for all your lovely bakers, if I'm planning on making a chocolate victoria sponge, how much flour should I substitute for cocoa?

I tend to do it with tablespoons, like for like, so if it's 4oz flour, then take out 1tbs flour and add 1 tbs cocoa, if 6oz flour, then 2tbs. hth:)
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    AnnieH wrote: »
    Thank you :o
    I made the tower out of Rice Krispie squares (homemade)
    It looked like a huge willy before I decorated it :o:o

PS The cake has just been collected. THEY LOVED IT :j:j:j :T
    I'm so pleased :D

I'm not surprised they loved it, it's really lovely:)
    Such a good feeling your first sale
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    Options
    Diflower wrote: »
    I tend to do it with tablespoons, like for like, so if it's 4oz flour, then take out 1tbs flour and add 1 tbs cocoa, if 6oz flour, then 2tbs. hth:)

that's great :) I'm doing chocolate ganache as a frosting so it doesn't have to be really chocolatey so that sounds perfect.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I use Martha Stewarts Chocolate Devils Food recipe for my chocolate cakes, they're lovely and moist as they have sour cream in them. As for a sturdy vanilla maybe try a pound cake or butter cake rather than madeira if you find it too dry. I've yet to find a vanilla cake that beats my victoria sponge but as you say it's a nightmare when it comes to stacked, tall or intricately carved cakes.

My new favourite is white chocolate mudcake with galaxy buttercream, its about 5 million calories per slice but worth every bite :D

Thanks will try a few out. Hubby will be the size of a house. I am on a diet so he is eating all the cakes. Not that he is complaining. He polished off a whole victoria sponge in last 2 days
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I have been asked to make 60 cupcakes for my friends niece who is having her 21st party on the 22nd july

Has anyone tried the Humming bird bakery recipe or do you know of any other good cupcake recipes, also looking to get a good frosting recipe as she want the icing to look like mr whipy ice cream and need to find american cupcake cases

tia[/QUOTE

i like hummingbird recipe and have always been a sucess for me. I was at a cupcake class last week and was given another recipe that was easy and really light. Will look it out wen get home at work at minute
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • AnnieH
    AnnieH Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for Hummingbird bakery cupcakes. i have all their books, and there's not been one i've tried that wasn't amazing
  • awesome2_2
    awesome2_2 Posts: 617 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2011 at 8:24PM
    Options
    AnnieH wrote: »
    Thank you :o
    I made the tower out of Rice Krispie squares (homemade)
    It looked like a huge willy before I decorated it :o:o

PS The cake has just been collected. THEY LOVED IT :j:j:j :T
    I'm so pleased :D

Hi Annie

See what you mean:rotfl:it didnt half give me a giggle:rotfl::rotfl:
    What did you make them with they look good

• cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me posting a few pics...trying to get to grips with photobucket...hope they turn out okay.
    Grandson Louie's 4th birthday last weekend shared with his cousin Isla had a Mickey/Minnie Mouse theme.
    I cannot take the credit for making these two !

DSCF1585.jpg
    Here is poor Louie who had a bad fall off a trampoline the day before his birthday party.
    Louieinthewarsagain.jpg
    Here are some of the cupcakes I made and also the Ice cream cone cupcakes which were a big hit on the day
    mickey-minniecakes.jpg

icecreamcupcakes.jpg
  • Golden_Anemone
    Golden_Anemone Posts: 1,505 Forumite
    Options
    hamish222 wrote: »
    Lovely cakes everyone as usual. Can I ask if you make maderia cake do you add lemon to it. I find maderia dry (last one I made was like a brick, dont know what I done) but someone told me if you add lemon juice to it, it makes it much moister. I like a victoria sponge but I am making a stacked 3-tier cake for niece birthday and need something firmer that will last a bit longer. Anyone any good tips for a moist maderia please. Also if you make a chocolate cake to cover in fondant what type do you normally go for as may make one layer chocolate.
    Thanks

A syrup drenched cake will be moist - I wouldn't use lemon juice on it's own. Here's a good vanilla cake recipe with a vanilla syrup and here's a lemon one with a lemon syrup. I've made both and they taste divine and are very moist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport