Stop Spam Texts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Had a text from +447999049437 saying "There is £2167.43 waiting to be claimed in your name for the mis-selling of ppi on your loans & credit cards. To get this ASAP reply PPi to this message NOW"

So p!ssed off at these messages, how do I make them stop pestering me every other day?

I'm TPS registered and number is Ex-Directory so not sure where they get my number from.
  • GotNo£
    GotNo£ Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Had a text from +447999049437 saying "There is £2167.43 waiting to be claimed in your name for the mis-selling of ppi on your loans & credit cards. To get this ASAP reply PPi to this message NOW"

So p!ssed off at these messages, how do I make them stop pestering me every other day?

I'm TPS registered and number is Ex-Directory so not sure where they get my number from.

I just found this thread from doing a search for a similar thing.

I received a message several days ago from +447576040879

"Records passed to us show you're entitled to a refund approximately £2370 in compensation from mis-selling of PPI on your credit card or loan. Reply INFO or stop"

I just presumed this was/is a con. How did they get my number in the first place?
  • chrisjw37
    Options
    We have both being getting these nasty PPI and injury spam texts.
    As we are medical, its really annoying as we think its work!

• Replying STOP does nothing whatsoever.
    • Complaining to Tesco mobile - they say they can do nothing, they have no powers and no methods of stopping or identifying the spammers - basically we all know that's bullcrap.
    • PhonePayPlus - only wants to know about premium rate lines - their number checker could not identity a single spam message sender. I suspect the nasty spam boy idiots are using throw away SIM cards for a week or two, then changing the number. Evidence? same message - different number (8 so far)
    Honestly we need some vigilante solution, like identifying these cretins and posting their identities, hey its just as illegal as what they are doing.

I'm TPS registered and all numbers are Ex-Directory

Meester Chris
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a mistake in the article: the image description (alt text, I think) says 7226 but the actual number is 7726 (SPAM). Anyone able to fix that, please?
  • uuulalala
    Options
    I'm a bit puzzled with spam text messages I received as a couple of them included my first name. Have you ever received a spam text message that greeted you with your own name??
  • Meeby
    Options
    I would urge everybody with new smartphones to be careful about the apps they are downloading & installing.
    I have had my number for 5 years and am very protective over my privacy. Ive never given it out on forms or websites, just to friends /family.
    I recently started getting a barrage of PPI claims texts. I could not understand how they had gotten my number until I was browsing apps on the Android site. I went to install a game & upon looking at the data it wanted access to I saw it wanting the information from my phone contacts!
    This would explain why unsolicited text messages often have your name in them.
    Please tell anyone you know who installs apps to be careful about protecting the personal data they hold in their phones about others as these apps can sneakily harvest the data if you are not diligent about the permissions you allow them to have.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quick question: I always tick the box but it is occasionally ignored, especially when I have given a mobile number so a delivery man can get in touch. When the sender uses a short five-digit number and says I can reply "STOP", will I be charged "at my provider's standard message rate", or will it come out of the included texts? I have understood that short numbers are always chargeable, but would welcome correction. (I am on a post-pay recent Vodafone contract, no bells or whistles).

You'll be charged the so-called standard rate, which is either 10 or 12 pence.
  • victoriav
    Options
    I have never had any of these spam messages until now. It seems to have coincided with having two pets recently microchipped, where I had to provide my mobile number and a landline number incase of a pet being lost,, stolen, run-over, etc. the microchipping company also offered (gave)a months free insurance (which is useless anyway) and kept on calling and calling to 'let me know it was about to run out and I should 'renew it'' - using the mobile number I'd provided for emergencies re the pets.....needless to say I haven't...and I now have concerns as to the effectiveness of their microchipping service.....and how it is run.
  • chris.meadows
    Options
    I used to get approx one spam text a month.
    Recently I forwarded 2 of these to 7726 (Orange) - received thank you for one of them.
    Since then, I have had a spam text per day. Is 7726 corrupt...?
  • catmort
    catmort Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why does Three always get missed out of your mobile phone articles? As they are usually the cheapest it seems strange in your comparison articles?

The number to report spam texts to Three is 37726 (so add a 3 on the front, like you've already said to put an 8 on the front for Vodafone)
    Debt Free by Xmas 2012 member #281: £6,627.08/£7,735.45 (85.67%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure