Stop Spam Texts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Intasun32
    Intasun32 Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Spammers don't need any lists. They just use a computer to generate numbers and don't care even if 2/3 of the generated numbers are invalid. The only way to stop them is complaining to the network and to watchdogs.

There's big business between scammers & others in the mobile phone industry buying and selling 'active' mobile phone number lists, even though it is illegal (:rotfl:) under the regulations of OFCOM, Phone Pay Plus, The Information Commissioners Office & the Ministry of Justice. Just goes to show how good THEY are!

I was scammed by a company that purchased a list with my details, how my details got there who knows? I have always been very careful with the info I give out and where I give it.

:beer:
  • pthompson
    pthompson Posts: 140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2011 at 1:45PM
    Options
    I always used to just grit my teeth and delete such SMS messages, but recently I've found a more satisfying way to deal with them: I reply with "YES", and when I receive the follow-up call from a human I respond with "Thank-you for calling me back; I just wanted the opportunity to tell you to f**k off in person". It brightens up my day.
  • crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    Pthomson,

That made me chuckle good on you.

The only thing for me with the idiots doing this sms are they have not phoned me one single time despite the fact that I continue to reply CLAIM to each and every single sms I receive.

I agree that doing what you do would make you feel a lot better so good on you.
  • phoenix11_2
    phoenix11_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a new variation or am I just receiving it for the first time?

Comes from +447519343227

URGENT! If you took out a Bank Loan prior to 2007 ..................... £2300 compensation. To claim reply 'YES'.

One of the issues here highlighted for me was when my son who is registered disabled with a mental health condition, received the 'tax rebate' text.

Fortunately he contacted me first so I could talk him through it being a spam and why. It can take a few iterations of receiving a particular spam text to reassure him not to respond. Some he can work out for himself.

But - every time he gets a new one, he gets very ruffled because he's never sure if he should respond - ie, that he HAS to respond in some way, especially if they look 'official'.

Is there not some technical way for the mobile companies to provide a blocking system, such as ISPs do with spam emails? They must surely be able to tell if the text is coming as a one-to-one or is coming as part of a huge batch of texts, and just plain block it???
  • crazyguy
    edited 28 June 2011 at 3:38PM
    Options
    phoenix11 wrote: »
    Is this a new variation or am I just receiving it for the first time?

Comes from +447519343227

URGENT! If you took out a Bank Loan prior to 2007 ..................... £2300 compensation. To claim reply 'YES'.

One of the issues here highlighted for me was when my son who is registered disabled with a mental health condition, received the 'tax rebate' text.

Fortunately he contacted me first so I could talk him through it being a spam and why. It can take a few iterations of receiving a particular spam text to reassure him not to respond. Some he can work out for himself.

But - every time he gets a new one, he gets very ruffled because he's never sure if he should respond - ie, that he HAS to respond in some way, especially if they look 'official'.

Is there not some technical way for the mobile companies to provide a blocking system, such as ISPs do with spam emails? They must surely be able to tell if the text is coming as a one-to-one or is coming as part of a huge batch of texts, and just plain block it???

Phoenix,

I talked with a director at O2 and made a few points about these and they can only as they say it switch them off when they see a high volume of sms being sent in a short space of time.

If you have a fairly new smart phone I think you can set up a spam free app, dont quote me though.

You can also get them reduced by asking your network to filter some sms messages, it wont stop them all but will reduce the amount you receive.

Basicaly the sms are being sent from the the bottom end of the market putting it politely, and do not care who they annoy as and when they get a yes or claim sent back that then gets sold for up to £5.00 to another Company whom inturn ring you and if its a valid claim they then get up to £600.00 for passing it on again to an actual claim firm.

Basicaly you cannot stop them all as these guys will continue to purchase data either legaly or not and hound the UK public until one is fined a big amount, best one will be the ICO, you need a lot of information to report your complaint, ie:- sms number and message, actual Company details of who called you and so on.

One last point the ICO can only deal with a UK based Company sending these out and or calling you, if its an overseas sms then you are pretty much stuffed as the law does not apply
  • alissa
    alissa Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Recently I've been getting accident claim text messages. About 1 or 2 a month. Not sure how to deal with it?
  • BRSurvivor
    BRSurvivor Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Delete them.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Everybody gets them, just delete them.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • maybird_2
    maybird_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thank God I saw the article on MSE. I always thought you ignored spam msgs, so I have been doing. When I read this article I checked my inbox and saw that some of them were from a 5 digit number, I replied STOP sharpish. Now phone bill shows I've been charged almost the same amount again as I pay in monthly contract! I spent a fruitless 20 minutes trying to get O2 to realize that they are accessories to THEFT as I had NOT subscribed to any premium lines (Who does?????Hopefully no one with any money saving credentials). They couldn't care less. I am now seriously considering changing provider as soon as my contract expires. It appears some providers let you block 3rd party premium rate texts but O2 don't so they are losing my custom.

I contacted the company via finding out who they were using the link in Martin's article. They replied to my email saying that I wouldn't get any more texts. They forwarded my email to the actual company (?) for obtaining a refund if applicable. This company - Mobile and Emails Limited - have emailed me in warm and obsequious tones promising to send a cheque for 4 times what they owe me (??) if I send them my name and address and details of the make and type of handset I have (???why???).

This seems fishy - although at least they didn't ask for my bank details. I feel dubious about replying and would be really pleased to find out if anyone else has had any refund experience from this company or similar. Although obviously I want reimbursing for the money they and 02 felt they could just STEAL from me.

And why isn't this stuff FRONT PAGE NEWS. It's THEFT on a massive scale?

Good luck one and all. I'm seriously thinking of giving up the mobile phone. (And don't get me started on the utility companies and insurers. Talk about having us all over a barrel. Unreal.)
    Waddle you do eh?
  • crazyguy
    Options
    I have tracked the actual Company whom is responsible for the countless Unclaimed Accident Compensation sms messages and am awaiting a final response from them, as and when I receive this I will inturn put up the full details together with there name and all contact details.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure