Stop Spam Texts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Options
    Ampletime,

I have seen a few of these app's and they do seem to prevent a good few sms messages from coming through.

My thing here is not prevention its hoping to get this Company a massive fine then hopefully it will deter others within the UK sending them out if they fear a massive fine also they may not want to risk sending an sms in the first place, I do also understand this will not prevent messages from abroad but from research I have done it is a smaller amount being sent from abroad as opposed to within the UK.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    The issue I have with the recent MSE article on reporting SPAM is that it uses photos of iPhones when showing examples of SPAM SMS, then goes on to give mobile phone provider numbers to forward the SPAM to... However, you can't forward a SMS from an iPhone without jailbreaking it. A small detail, granted, but I did get my hopes up when I saw the article with photos of SPAM SMS on an iPhone.

Does anyone know of any way of forwarding or reporting SMS SPAM to my mobile provider from an iPhone without jailbreaking the phone?

For info here is the SPAM I received (bad grammer etc senders own!) and I NEVER give my mobile number to anyone but immediate family:

From +447580540619 Hello its elisha my phone has no credit -_- but yeah tomorrow is still on babe,unless you dont want to come with me i dont mind xxxxx

From +31621123882 Peet's phone is almost empty. Please sms my (this) number for anything concerning tomorrow's appointment. Mark Smith
  • schroder
    schroder Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 16 September 2011 at 10:16AM
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Everybody gets them, just delete them.
    Do not believe this.

My number has been the same since 2001 and the same 'URGENT! If you took out a Bank Loan prior to 2007 ..' reached me but from 447855605677.

The first spam text message ever received in ten years.

Solution? register the mobile number with the Telephone Preference Society at mpsonline.org.uk

Our home numbers have been registered with the TPS for five years and we have received not one unsolicited call.

Will it work for SMS messages? Don't know.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2011 at 10:02AM
    Options
    schroder wrote: »
    Will it work for SMS messages? Don't know.

Have a look at there site ;) your see on the front page.

"The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages.If you wish to stop receiving SMS marketing messages, please send an 'opt-out' request to the company involved."

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
  • schroder
    Options
    This message "SMS Spam the Truth" from Mobile Professional 24-06-2011, 12:29 PM
    MPS & TPS do not stop SMS Marketing
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2011 at 10:26AM
    Options
    schroder wrote: »
    This message "SMS Spam the Truth" from Mobile Professional 24-06-2011, 12:29 PM

If you looked at the mps/tps site in the first place you would have found out that it did not apply to text messages.
  • adewton
    Options
    I take the law in my hands. My Iphone has an SMS 'bomber'.:cool: Each SPAM gets 1000 SMS requesting them to stop. I hardly receive a second SPAM from same number.:D
    :jDON'T STEAL!!! Government HATES competition!:D Pay your tax and make voluntary contributions to the government! :A:T
  • br1anstorm
    Options
    I have started getting spam message texts on my Virgin mobile - it seems they are the usual ones about accident claims and pension performance, and all come from mobile numbers.

In search of help, I noted that in the MSE article there was a list of the numbers provided by (almost all) networks that you could forward spam messages to - with the aim, realistic or not, that the network would investigate or block this mischief.

Almost all networks.... but not Virgin Mobile. Do they offer such a "service". If so, what's the number? If not, why not? As I believe they piggy back on T-mobile's transmitter network, could I forward these spam messages to the number provided by T-mobile?
  • WeeSnowbaby
    Options
    I'm glad to be reading this. I always do my grocery shop with tesco online and a few weeks ago I spotted a place to enter my mobile number in order to receive text message updates about my delivery (they narrow it down to a one hour slot on the delivery date). Since adding my mobile number to the site for this, I have been getting quite a few spam texts. I never give my mobile number out online, ever! So I have to assume it has happened via the Tesco site :(
  • mbailey
    mbailey Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a spare mobile number which I use in an old phone when I go out cycling. It's just a giffgaff SIM card. The only person that knows the number is my wife, I haven't given it to anyone.

But now I am picking up lovely SPAM messages on the number. Very annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure