MSE Pregnancy Club 22

Options

Comments

• supermaiden
    supermaiden Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    I posted before on our problems with breastfeeding and latching on. I think it is worth it to keep trying. I just didnt like baby getting so angry he would hold his breath when crying. If he wont take it from the breast do try expressing. Keep up the good work though hun and dont give up. Miles is on formula now and its working for us but I so wish I could have got him on the breast.
    :j
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kira.. white spots on boobs are normal.. it is.. for want of a better explanation.. moisturiser so they dont get too sore when feeding, they secrete a waxy type substance.. do not pick or squeeze them obviously as it can cause infection.

Abby.. wake him and feed him, if you wait for him to be starving he will be too upset to latch on anyway.. if he nods off change his nappy strip him naked etc.. It can take about 5 days for your milk to come in so keep at it he may be more interested then.. being born is very traumatic.. he will have a headache and be tired. They dont actually NEED to feed too often in the first few days.. though having skin-to-skin with him may encourage him to feed.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on your new grandson emerald:D

Good luck with the breastfeeding abby, you're doing a great job.

Nothing much going on with me, am feeling a little bit unsettled at the moment though I suppose thats to be expected this close to the end. I rearranged my hospital bags into one for labour, one for after and one for the baby and feel much more organised now. They're now in the boot and the car seat base is fitted in the car so its all seeming very real now:eek: My pram is all set up as well and I just can't stop looking at it, its so pretty:D The dog is not so enamoured with it though and keeps running away when you move it:rotfl: so need to spend some time getting him used to it.

Oh and while I remember do I need to pack a little cardigan in the baby bag. I've packed some vests, sleepsuits, hats, scratchsuits and a cellular blanket but I'm not sure if thats enough? x
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Claire.. if you dont pack one you will need it!! Stuff one in they are so tiny it wont matter. FWIW mine always wore them as they were a bit early they needed the extra help with body temp.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • c_l_a_i_r_e
    c_l_a_i_r_e Posts: 4,647 Forumite
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »
    Claire.. if you dont pack one you will need it!! Stuff one in they are so tiny it wont matter. FWIW mine always wore them as they were a bit early they needed the extra help with body temp.

Thanks Pigpen, will add one in tomorrow. Better to have it than not, as you say. I'm think I'm just overthinking everything now lol
    :starmod:C'est la vie:starmod:
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    I fed him at 2am and he's been gassy since and I intended to express again at 5am. The problem is that he won't stay calm! Unless he is sucking furiously on my little finger. Considering getting a dummy tomorrow that I can give him after his 1am feed if he doesn't settle that way I've got both hands to express with. Don't think I can do it one handed. I'm listening to tree by the river by iron & wine to keep me calm. Just removed finger and he isn't happy
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Ok so I've expressed maybe 2/3 of an oz. Maybe 3/4. The midwife said that is good considering I have colostrum. It's taken me
    45 minutes having two goes at each breast. I find alternating means it comes out faster when I go back to them and that's rather satisfying. I hope that's not a bad amount. He's asleep on the bed at the moment. I don't want to wake him. I'd like to put him back in the Moses basket but he will wake up! The cushion is HUGE and so comfy ee. I like sleeping on it
    Money money money.

Debt

• mirrorimage0
    mirrorimage0 Posts: 3,918 Forumite
    Options
    abby i dont know if this will help or not but i fount when i had a hot bath my milk jut seemed to drip out regulary so i always expressed in the bath when i got in it. but it is still early days, hun. x
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • abby1234519
    Options
    abby i dont know if this will help or not but i fount when i had a hot bath my milk jut seemed to drip out regulary so i always expressed in the bath when i got in it. but it is still early days, hun. x

To be honest, I am convinced once my milk starts to come in (and its on its way, my boobs are swelling!) that everything will get on track as he just doesn't understand that nipple means milk at the moment as it takes a few sucks to get the colstrum going and he is too lazy for that. He hasn't fed since 2am, I know I could have woken him up but it took so long to get him to sleep, I think he is tired from all the crying and he is very comfortable asleep on the cushion. Mum will get up in half an hour to an hour and then I can hand him over and go get my sleep in my parents bed! Then wake up in 3 hours after that to express and have another nap and wait for Fluffy to turn up.

Basically will be doing most of my sleeping in the day
    Money money money.

Debt

• mirrorimage0
    mirrorimage0 Posts: 3,918 Forumite
    Options
    ahh i get it now, its the baby being lazy, well you did go and have a boy lol

i havent breastfed recently, my youngest is 9 yrs old so its been a while, mine seemed like they were constantly attached and i ended up in agony so never got past around 8 weeks with him, and my eldest i was really ill so managed till around 6 weeks then couldnt do it cause i literally couldnt move for around a week.

the info i have read latley has said it is best to wake them to try and get them to feed regulary, but at the end of the day listen to everyones advice ask opinions but trust your mothers instinct, you will know what is best for him and you. goodluck
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport