• edited 7 June 2011 at 9:18PM
    deutschdeutsch Forumite
    380 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 7 June 2011 at 9:18PM
    Platinum Fixed Energy January 2014:
    - Fixed until Jan 2014
    - Homecomfort Standard Boiler Care (is this a one off or up until Jan 2014?). Quick google search says this is around £150 annually.

Just looking really long term. It would be 2.5 years fixed from now. Fuel can only go up and inflation can only bring mean I benefit when the price is fixed?

Energyhelpline says it will cost me £280 more. Around a 40% increase. Surely this won't be the end of price rises, thus I would benefit?
  • amidala_2amidala_2 Forumite
    9 Posts
    Hi all, Please could someone help me? I am now on a dual fuel standard tariff with B Gas. I need to get a better deal. If you are in a debit balance on your Gas/elec bill, does this get transferred over to a new supplier if you switch suppliers or do you have to settle this with existing supplier first? I was looking to tfr to e-on. The quote says I would have to pay an extra £72.00 per year but this would be a fixed deal for 2 years. If I did nothing my cost would prob increase by £360.00 per year. Is this a good move? Any help greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have today just saved £444.50 per year on my Sky, phone and broadband!!!
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2Miss_Penny_Pincher_2 Forumite
    660 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    only just switched to Scottish Power on the Online Energy Saver 12 and now this :(

We may apply cancellation charges inclusive of VAT of £30.64 for electricity and
    £20.42 for gas if you switch to Online Energy Saver 12 (March 2012) Offer but then
    cancel your supply contract or switch to another tariff before the 29th February 2012.

Am clueless what to do
  • woohoowoohoo Forumite
    377 Posts
    Hi,
    I am on Scottish Power online saver 11 (dual fuel). I have just input my details into a couple of switching sites, and this tariff is still coming up as £129 cheaper for me per year for dual fuel. I could save £46 on electricity if I change to npower go fix 6.

I am sure I have a tie in fee with scottish power though. What would you advise in this situation? Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you!
  • Miss_Penny_Pincher_2Miss_Penny_Pincher_2 Forumite
    660 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    amidala wrote: »
    Hi all, Please could someone help me? I am now on a dual fuel standard tariff with B Gas. I need to get a better deal. If you are in a debit balance on your Gas/elec bill, does this get transferred over to a new supplier if you switch suppliers or do you have to settle this with existing supplier first? I was looking to tfr to e-on. The quote says I would have to pay an extra £72.00 per year but this would be a fixed deal for 2 years. If I did nothing my cost would prob increase by £360.00 per year. Is this a good move? Any help greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have today just saved £444.50 per year on my Sky, phone and broadband!!!

usually what happens is the month after your supplier is transferred over then the old supplier settles the balance using the last meter reading. They then either request that you pay anything you owe or give you what you are owed back.

congratulations on the huge savings!!
  • dfarrydfarry Forumite
    926 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    only just switched to Scottish Power on the Online Energy Saver 12 and now this :(

We may apply cancellation charges inclusive of VAT of £30.64 for electricity and
    £20.42 for gas if you switch to Online Energy Saver 12 (March 2012) Offer but then
    cancel your supply contract or switch to another tariff before the 29th February 2012.

Am clueless what to do

Me too.... DISGRACEFUL is my opinion on this monopolised market... overseen by an ineffective regulator...]

I am considering getting on the phone tomorrow, giving them what for and change to a fixed just for the hell of it! I need to do the sums but even with the penalty I might just break even...

The cheapest Fixed I can find at the moment will put me £134 (N-Power Fix Saver v2) over the current SP Online Energy Saver 12 tariff... up to September 2012... also need to factor in any Quidco/TopCashBack cashback. I'm concerned I might look again tomorrow and the tariff would have gone or increased... so greedy are these suppliers.

By the way on the SP penalty...
    These charges will be amended, if there is a change in the VAT rate at any time or
    times before 29th February 2012, by an amount equivalent to the applicable change in
    the VAT rate. These charges will not be applied if the supply contract is cancelled due
    to a home move.

from.... http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/support-centre/products/previous-products.aspx#
  • dfarrydfarry Forumite
    926 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

Sorry missed the little text...
  • cifpowercifpower Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    I joined SP last October on Online Energy Saver 11.

Calucalting ex VAT:

Primary Electricity +22.5% (16.699p to 21.558p)
    Secondary Electricity +32.3% (7.216p to 10.664p)

Primary Gas +55% (4.865p to 7.541p)
    Secondary Gas +24.5% (2.777p to 3.457p)

This is frightening to me!
  • steve9999steve9999 Forumite
    56 Posts
    Just checked my online account and it says my product is
    Payment method = Monthly Direct Debit
    Fuel = Gas
    Product = Standard

This mean i can bail anytime without a charge?

thanks
  • cifpowercifpower Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Looking at switching to the Online Capped Rate. Capped until 31 May 2013, currently cheaper that what OLE11 will be from 1 August. Standing charge or no standing charge though? Too bloody confused.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals