MSE News: Scottish Power to hike energy prices

edited 7 June 2011 at 1:47PM in Energy
655 replies 55K views

Replies

• grizzly1911grizzly1911 Forumite
    10K Posts
    steven88 wrote: »
    davidhwdn, you can reject

you have the "right to cancel" clause in any contract. but to be honest, once one supplier shoots their prices up, wont be long till all do it :)

Yep -just depends if you want to keep warm, see in the dark and cook warm meals;)

At least you don't have to get into debt, that is a choice, most of the time.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • SG_GuySG_Guy Forumite
    100 Posts
    Can someone remind me what the 'rule' is on your supplier being obliged to keep you on your existing tariff if you let them know by a certain date that you are switching to another supplier?
  • pnopinepnopine Forumite
    24 Posts
    I've just this minute switched from SP Online Saver 8 Dual Fuel to npower fixed online tariff, and it's saved me £3.41 a year over my current SP tariff anyway.

It appears that SP have renewd 'our' contract in December, as I now seem to be locked in until December 2011, I never agreed to this, and have never received any correspondance, where do I stand on this? Can they renew the contract without actually contacting me?

Where do I stand on this, does anyone know?
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl: at this news because I had a doorstep caller from them the other week claiming to try to save me money; gave him short shrift as he ignored my MSE "no cold callers" sign. Good job I haven't switched supplier yet.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • edited 7 June 2011 at 7:57PM
    neilcharnock1977neilcharnock1977 Forumite
    10 Posts
    edited 7 June 2011 at 7:57PM
    Hello Guys and Gals,

I noted a number of peole are saying they will pay the termination fee to change supplier..

Please note if you are on a tariff with an exit fee that if you change energy supplier you may be able to get out that by asking your current supplier to change you to another internal tariff that does not have an exit fee, supplier can not prevent you changing tariffs inhouse ( it's basically a loophole ) just ask for the cheapest non internet tariff with no exit fee and then change supplier, albeit you may be on a slightly more expensie for 28 days it still will be cheaper than the £50.00 or £100 exit fee - problem solved.

I have worked in the Energy Market for 15 years and I certainly do not pay exit fees.

Hope this helps

Neil
  • SG_GuySG_Guy Forumite
    100 Posts
    Can someone remind me what the precise rules/ conditions are on your supplier needing to hold your current tariff if you notify them by a certain date of your intention to switch to another supplier?
  • pnopinepnopine Forumite
    24 Posts
    Hello Guys and Gals,

I noted a number of peole are saying they will pay the termination fee to change supplier..

Please note if you are on a tariff with an exit fee that if you change energy supplier you may be able to get out that by asking your current supplier to change you to another internal tariff that does not have an exit fee, supplier can not prevent you changing tariffs inhouse ( it's basically a loophole ) just ask for the cheapest non internet tariff with no exit fee and then change supplier - problem solved.

I have worked in the Energy Market for 15 years and I certainly do not pay exit fees.

Hope this helps

Neil Charnock

Nice one Neil :D
  • depends on the terms of that particualr tariff - standard or lock in
  • I've just switched to a fixed tariff until September 2012 via GoCompare. Now I'm thinking I should have went for a longer-term fix (didn't read that far down the page, :o )

Can I just submit another application to switch now and cancel the first one tomorrow or will I have to wait and cancel before doing anything else?
    If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor...
  • grizzly1911grizzly1911 Forumite
    10K Posts
    Hello Guys and Gals,

Please note if you are on a tariff with an exit fee that if you change energy supplier you may be able to get out that by asking your current supplier to change you to another internal tariff that does not have an exit fee, supplier can not prevent you changing tariffs inhouse ( it's basically a loophole ) just ask for the cheapest non internet tariff with no exit fee and then change supplier, albeit you may be on a slightly more expensie for 28 days it still will be cheaper than the £50.00 or £100 exit fee - problem solved.

Hope this helps

Neil Charnock

I am with Eon and someone who worked for them said if you switch as you have detailed and then move they can retrospectively apply the exit fee.:think:
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides