MSE News: Scottish Power to hike energy prices

edited 7 June 2011 at 1:47PM in Energy
655 replies 55K views

Replies

• edited 7 June 2011 at 7:56PM
    neilcharnock1977neilcharnock1977 Forumite
    10 Posts
    edited 7 June 2011 at 7:56PM
    Ask them to take you off that tariff and see if it absolves of you any lock in fee usually..
  • This is not true... I have done so with another address with e.on... I checked with them as well..
  • flossie217flossie217 Forumite
    195 Posts
    I've just looked on Scottish Powers site to see how the price increases will affect me and found this after clicking 'our price change' on the homepage and choosing the product - in my case Online 9.
    On page 9 paragraph 5.8 it states:-
    'Scottish Power must give you 30 calendar day's notice of increase in price. If you do not accept the increase you are entitled to end the agreement by giving us notice at any time prior to that increase taking effect.'

What is the difference between a Capped Price and a Fixed Price?
  • grizzly1911grizzly1911 Forumite
    10K Posts
    :rotfl: at this news because I had a doorstep caller from them the other week claiming to try to save me money; gave him short shrift as he ignored my MSE "no cold callers" sign. Good job I haven't switched supplier yet.

And they (the suppliers) know that the OFGEM bods will shortly ravage them so they want to lock in the increases now:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • I am with Eon and someone who worked for them said if you switch as you have detailed and then move they can retrospectively apply the exit fee.:think:

Just check terms of contract with e.on and fee is only applicable if you change energy supplier... I think you friend may have misunderstood..
  • I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know what the customer's position is WRT this. Do those who are on a non-fixed deal simply have to swallow a rise, however much the prices rise... or is there indeed an opt-out if SP (or any other supplier, of course) change the prices?

If so, what is the "stipulated period"?

Cheers Jon

No answer I'm afraid but I'm in a similar position.
    I switched to one of SP's online dual fuel saver tariffs (11 I think) quite late last year. It ended up working out that they had a price hike almost on the same day that the switch was activated. Due to switching taking a lot longer than their notification period vor changing prices, there was nothing I could do unless I broke contract and sacrificed £50 (the same amount as my initial switching payout).
    I believe that this is an area that the regulator needs to look at. Tieing a customer in when the unit rates are fixed is fair enough. Having a tie in period when the unit trates aren't fixed would seem to be an unfair contract condition.
    Yes I was aware of this when I signed up for it but it doesn't make it right. If there were more choice of suppliers it would help but we seem to be very close to a cartel situation here with only a few big players.
  • davemortondavemorton Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive just had a look at SP website, to see about the tarriff I am on, and it says "If you’re currently on one of the following products your deal will soon be coming to an end.......Online Energy Saver 6.......We will write to you about this by the end of June with details of a new deal we have developed especially for you." but I joined that tariff about 1and a half/2 years ago, just thought it was a normal tariff, so am I still locked in??
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • flossie217flossie217 Forumite
    195 Posts
    Tieing a customer in when the unit rates are fixed is fair enough. Having a tie in period when the unit trates aren't fixed would seem to be an unfair contract condition.
    Yes I was aware of this when I signed up for it but it doesn't make it right. If there were more choice of suppliers it would help but we seem to be very close to a cartel situation here with only a few big players.

I'm with you on this. This cancellation fee clause makes me :mad:.
    It's just one more way to bleed the customer dry.
  • *onlyme**onlyme* Forumite
    947 Posts
    maddipops wrote: »
    Fixonline 9 with eon sitting pretty till 1st March 2012 on great prices, but after that, It looks like my prices will increase by about 40-50%!!!! maybe I need to look for a 3-4 year fixed deal and bite the bullet now

I have exactly the same dilema as you Maddipops. They have just reduced my DD to £65 a month for dual fuel which isn't all that much compared to what a lot of others are paying but I am thinking like you, do I bite the bullet now and do I find a fixed deal for a few years.
  • there is always a way - read the small print in terms .. there is always a get out clause
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES