MSE News: Scottish Power to hike energy prices

edited 7 June 2011 at 1:47PM in Energy
655 replies 55K views

Replies

• RadionotmeRadionotme Forumite
    124 Posts
    I switched to Scottish power last October. I'm on their Online energy saver 10 tariff.

How do I find out if I can switch or not, and if there's a penalty - and of course how much that penalty would be?
  • steven88_2steven88_2 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Radionotme wrote: »
    I switched to Scottish power last October. I'm on their Online energy saver 10 tariff.

How do I find out if I can switch or not, and if there's a penalty - and of course how much that penalty would be?
    radionotme, phone SP they will 99% guarantee switch you to a capped or fix tariff FREE of charge because they want to save you as a valued customer over a longer period of time.

ole 10 has been affected with the price increase aswell
  • anksponankspon Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we not reject it like credit cards
  • steven88_2steven88_2 Forumite
    17 Posts
    davidhwdn wrote: »
    Can we not reject it like credit cards
    davidhwdn, you can reject

you have the "right to cancel" clause in any contract. but to be honest, once one supplier shoots their prices up, wont be long till all do it :)
  • page3page3 Forumite
    73 Posts
    All the switching sites list Scottish Power as the cheapest in my area, by over £150/year. Even with a 20% rise, that's still cheaper.
  • dan20vtdan20vt Forumite
    1 Post
    Hi, I switched to the OES 14 only last week am I right in thinking there isn't a hike on this tarrif, because surely there is? Does anyone know if there is a "cooling-off" period and I can back-out and find a fixed deal elsewhere?
  • ChiddlesChiddles Forumite
    48 Posts
    steven88 wrote: »
    OLE 14 is discounted but for some reason they cant change that tariff. Pay In Advance is also gone. Discounted Energy March 2013 gone!

If your on a variable tariff now. SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH to a FIX FIX FIX..... Cant be more simple!

OLE 14 will eventually get an increase one way or another but your choice if you wanna stay on that tariff.

Pay in advance is still available to existing customers and is what I am on currently. These are the options I can see if I go into my account and select "Change My Service"....

Online Energy - Capped Price Energy June 2013 Version B
    Online Energy - Capped Price Energy June 2013 Version B (No Standing Charge)
    Discounted Energy March 2013 online NSC
    Online Energy - Standard
    Online Energy - Standard (No Standing Charge)
    SIMPLY GREEN ONLINE NSC
    PRICE TRACKER October 2013 ONLINE NSC
    Platinum Fix Energy Offer (v3) online fixed to 31/1/14
    Platinum Fix Energy Offer (v3) NSC online fixed to 31/1/14
    Pay in Advance
    Pay in Advance NSC
  • grizzly1911grizzly1911 Forumite
    10K Posts
    Micky wrote: »
    At what point can we re-open the coal mines? We had at least 200 years of coal reserves until various idiots of all political persuasions screwed it up.

I don't condone what Thatcher did to our coal industry but it may well have turned out to be a saving grace in years to come.

Interesting that one ConDem MP/minister was saying the price rises were a good thing as we needed to stop burning carbon fuels. Well that's great news then;) but there is no alternative galloping over the hillside to save us.

There is absolutely no incentive for the suppliers to keep down prices. The y all say the "wholesale" price has gone up but who are their wholesalers?

And all the time the cash flows out of UK pockets to line foreign companies coffers.:o
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
    10K Posts
    maddipops wrote: »
    Fixonline 9 with eon sitting pretty till 1st March 2012 on great prices, but after that, It looks like my prices will increase by about 40-50%!!!! maybe I need to look for a 3-4 year fixed deal and bite the bullet now

That's the problem you just have to jump higher to get back on the escalator.

When they put us in our box, in reality, we will have saved little over a lifetime, we just think we have (well not me of course).:rotfl:
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
    10K Posts
    steven88 wrote: »
    OLE 14 is discounted but for some reason they cant change that tariff. Pay In Advance is also gone. Discounted Energy March 2013 gone!

If your on a variable tariff now. SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH to a FIX FIX FIX..... Cant be more simple!

OLE 14 will eventually get an increase one way or another but your choice if you wanna stay on that tariff.

OK you miss this increase but the underlying cost will have gone up and when you come to change next time you will have a bigger jump to catch up again. Fixes only help you budget for a fixed period of time. Little else apart from making you feel better.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides