We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seconded!:eek:
    I guess it depends what you're used to driving... we drive a tiny car in the UK and usually get something like a Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger in the USA - which is fine for the 3 of us and much bigger than what we're used to driving here. I wouldn't be comfortable driving anything much bigger than that!

A lot comes down to perceptions and realiities. For me, my family holiday is the highlight of my year and I try to do everything that adds to our holiday -- travelling hundreds/thousands of miles in a luxury car is a positive thing that adds to the holiday - travelling dozens/hundreds of miles in a Compact/economy car would detract from our holiday.

In the UK, I drive a 300C, so I'd be loathed to drive something smaller than that ;)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot comes down to perceptions and realiities.

Agreed.
    A Sebring/Avenger IS a luxury car compared to what we're used to :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Rahven
    Rahven Posts: 4,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Getting extremely excited now - we fly out in 26 days!
    I think I might have to stop reading this thread though - the more I read the more I start planning a second trip in my head!

Quick question about the driving in the US as it's been mentioned - are there any big differences between driving here and there? I have heard about how yo can turn right on a red light if there are no pedestrians, but that's about it. Is it worth doing some research or will we be OK?
  • jackieblack
    Options
    Rahven wrote: »
    Getting extremely excited now - we fly out in 26 days!
    I think I might have to stop reading this thread though - the more I read the more I start planning a second trip in my head!
    :D It's definitely addictive :D
    Rahven wrote: »
    Quick question about the driving in the US as it's been mentioned - are there any big differences between driving here and there? I have heard about how yo can turn right on a red light if there are no pedestrians, but that's about it. Is it worth doing some research or will we be OK?
    Some useful info, including a page on road signs, here
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • Rahven
    Rahven Posts: 4,872 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you Jackie :)
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    well we landed up booking two nights at the canyon so that's us at 5 nights vegas 2 nights at the canyon 1 night at death valley 3 nights yosemite 4 nights san fran 2 nights lake tahoe 3 nights san fran ...

any suggestions on things to do see etc in the canyon, death valley, yosemite and lake tahoe etc ?
  • jackieblack
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    any suggestions on things to do see etc in the canyon, death valley, yosemite and lake tahoe etc ?

GC -assuming you're going to the South Rim - try a hike on one of the trails that lead into the canyon. You won't get to the bottom and back in a day but even hiking a fairly short distance down does give you a different perspective. We did Bright Angel Trail down as far as the mile-and-a-half resthouse. Make sure you have plenty of water and allow double the length of time to hike back up as you take to get down. Shuttle buses will take you to various points of interest along the rim.

Yosemite - don't miss the Giant Sequioa, there are 3 main groves - spectacular. It's worth the short walk to Mirror Lakeand to Yosemite Falls. Again, there are shuttle buses that will take you to various points that you can then walk to different falls etc from.

Haven't been to DV or LT so can't help with those.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thanks ... yes i am going to the south rim and would love to go hiking, is august an ok time to go hiking in grand canyon?

i really fancy the sequioa trees as well, which lot would you say are the best to go and see? i hope to see them all but may not get time sadly, as we are only there for 3 days
  • wdyw
    wdyw Posts: 962 Forumite
    Options
    thanks ... yes i am going to the south rim and would love to go hiking, is august an ok time to go hiking in grand canyon?

i really fancy the sequioa trees as well, which lot would you say are the best to go and see? i hope to see them all but may not get time sadly, as we are only there for 3 days

If you are a proper hiker, apply for one of the daily permits to use the chains up Half Dome. A proportion of the daily permits will be available via a lottery the day before you want to do the hike, but last time I looked there was qute a few tickets that were not snapped up in the early season lottery (midweek).
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well we landed up booking two nights at the canyon so that's us at 5 nights vegas 2 nights at the canyon 1 night at death valley 3 nights yosemite 4 nights san fran 2 nights lake tahoe 3 nights san fran ...

Make use of the shuttles while at GC. We didnt have time for hikes, but....next time:T.
    Yosemite - Take the drive to Glacier Point. The views are stunning. What you could do, depending where you stay (we stayed at yosemite View Lodge) is go to Mariposa Grove and then on the way back, make the detour to Glacier Point. Tuolumne Meadows is also beautiful (depends which way you come into Yosemite, or out:))

Death Valley - Badwater, Zabreskie Point (a must for a sunrise or sunset) Mesquite Sand Dunes.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport