We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• gracie10
    Options
    This is a great thread am so glad i found it. We are planning our trip for July/August next year so will be a great help. We have booked our flights and are planning on doing 3 nights LA, 2 nights Pismo, 1 night Monterry, 3 nights San Fran, 2 nights Yosemite, 1 night Death Valley and 5 nights Vegas. Am sure i will be back soon with lots of questions once I have managed to read all the great information!
  • northwest1965
    Options
    gracie10 wrote: »
    This is a great thread am so glad i found it. We are planning our trip for July/August next year so will be a great help. We have booked our flights and are planning on doing 3 nights LA, 2 nights Pismo, 1 night Monterry, 3 nights San Fran, 2 nights Yosemite, 1 night Death Valley and 5 nights Vegas. Am sure i will be back soon with lots of questions once I have managed to read all the great information!

So we know how we can help, what sort of things do you like best? City/Country/Beach:)?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • gracie10
    Options
    Hi, we will be taking our two young girls so will have to be things to keep them entertained and happy!!
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Hi, we will be taking our two young girls so will have to be things to keep them entertained and happy!!

Hi gracie

how young is young ? nursery school young, or secondary school young !
  • vixarooni
    vixarooni Posts: 4,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im going to Colorado for a month in 3 weeks, i really wanna pop over to the grand canyon but i think i'm going to have a struggle convincing my boyfriend this is a good idea.

I'm quite interested in the driving chat, we're going down to Santa fe and i've never driven abroad before or in an automatic so i'm a tad nervous about that part!
  • northwest1965
    Options

Depending on their ages, I am not sure 5 nights in vegas is good???:)
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • BritAbroad
    Options
    Colorado is a great state, but don't underestimate the driving distance to the Grand Canyon - you're looking in the region of 6-700 miles or so depending on your route. Also, if you're going to be there in October/November time, you need to be prepared for snow, especially if you're driving west through the mountains on I-70. A 4wd is highly recommended, or if it's a saloon car, it needs snow-rated tyres and/or snow chains. Definitely check with the rental company. I-70 is pretty, but it can be crazy busy at weekends in the winter as most of the major ski resorts are off it and the traffic can be horrific. Colorado can get almighty blizzards even in October or November. There are plenty of places to explore along the way though. A route to the Grand Canyon can take in lots of spectacular places - I personally think the Grand Canyon is only so-so, but Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion NP, etc are fantastic.

The main north-south route in Colorado is the I-25. It's mostly ok, though is stupidly busy through Denver and you can expect traffic around Colorado Springs and Pueblo as you head south. Driving standards aren't great so you need to have your wits about you, but it's pretty scenic.

I've never been to Sante Fe but like anywhere else I know some people really like it, others don't. Tons of stuff to see and do throughout Colorado and New Mexico though (and Wyoming if you head north).
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 September 2012 at 10:16AM
    Options
    vixarooni wrote: »
    Im going to Colorado for a month in 3 weeks, i really wanna pop over to the grand canyon but i think i'm going to have a struggle convincing my boyfriend this is a good idea.

I'm quite interested in the driving chat, we're going down to Santa fe and i've never driven abroad before or in an automatic so i'm a tad nervous about that part!

I'd love to hear how you get on in Colorado, as its high on my list for next year.

Drivng in America (except for the busier cities at the busier times) is a doddle compared to driving in the UK - nowhere near the density of traffic, travelling on larger/wider roads.
    BritAbroad wrote: »
    Colorado is a great state,

The main north-south route in Colorado is the I-25. It's mostly ok, though is stupidly busy through Denver and you can expect traffic around Colorado Springs and Pueblo as you head south. Driving standards aren't great so you need to have your wits about you, but it's pretty scenic.

I'm fancying IN to Colorado and OUT of Tuscon,/Phoenix/Dallas, Alburquerke/ San Diego/ Las Vegas/Oklahoma City/Memphis/St Louis/ Kansas City buts its VERY early days for planning yet and a lot will depend if we are going in Spring, late Spring, early Summer or Summer.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd love to hear how you get on in Colorado, as its high on my list for next year.
    And us for 2014 :D But we're thinking of a Denver/Mt Rushmore/Yellowstone kind of trip
    Drivng in America (except for the busier cities at the busier times) is a doddle compared to driving in the UK - nowhere near the density of traffic, travelling on larger/wider roads.
    I totally agree :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Canyonlands in Utah is a more than acceptable alternative to the Grand Canyon and much nearer.

The views in the Islands In The Sky district of that park are as astounding (and possibly more so) than the Grand Canyon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport