We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i just had a look at dead horse state park ... it does look stunning ... sigh ... wish i could put that into our schedule as well ... but yep i reckon it would be a good place to go northwest
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    is that the sequoias on the way from death valley to yosemite? i am thinking of doing them on the way :)

It was Mariposa Grove, near Yosemite's South entrance.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mmmmm this puts a diff spin on it all then, driving down to south rim staying there for a night driving back to vegas there for a night then onto death valley there for a night before yosemite ... that might be too much driving tbh ...mmmm will need to really think this through ... i do fancy grand canyon ( tbh much more than vegas ...although i am sure i will enjoy that as well) but i really dont want to put alot of pressure on my husband for driving as he is still recovering from his breakdown

We did South Rim > Las Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite.

I agree with you, the Grand Canyon/Death Valley/Yosemite is much more impressive than Las Vegas. However, if you have never been it's worth a visit, even if you never go back.
  • elantan
    Options
    does anyone know if it is it possible to get a bus to south rim? (not a tour just a bus ...like a first bus or grey hound or something) that would mean hubby wouldnt need to drive ... we could get the bus there and back two days later
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get a train from Williams right to the rim...

The Grand Canyon Railway
  • elantan
    Options
    thing is i need to get to williams ... thats a 4 hour journey from vegas itself ... we do have a car booked so i can get it a few days earlier if we need to but i was thinking to take some of the driving stress off of the hubby
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    thing is i need to get to williams ... thats a 4 hour journey from vegas itself ... we do have a car booked so i can get it a few days earlier if we need to but i was thinking to take some of the driving stress off of the hubby
    It's a really easy drive, if that helps.
    US93 South (over Hoover Dam/bridge) to I40 (East), to Williams. For GC, turn left from I40 at Williams onto AZ64 N
    If you don't fancy the I40, there is a long stretch of old Rt66 between Kingman and Williams - takes a bit longer but is a 2 lane road with lots of quirky little places to stop at on the way:)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Options
    It's a really easy drive, if that helps.
    US93 South (over Hoover Dam/bridge) to I40 (East), to Williams. For GC, turn left from I40 at Williams onto AZ64 N
    If you don't fancy the I40, there is a long stretch of old Rt66 between Kingman and Williams - takes a bit longer but is a 2 lane road with lots of quirky little places to stop at on the way:)

It is much easier than driving in the UK. We left Vegas early in the morning and stopped off in Kingman for breakfast. Lots of places to choose from and you can call in the Walmart and stock up on water/snacks
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

There are countless options of trips\tours etc in this area so I think you should prioritise as to what you want to do, in what time and how you'd like to acheive it.

Self drive will be the best option IMHO and the distances can be large-however as has been said driving is easy.

Have fun.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2012 at 8:47PM
    Options
    blindman wrote: »

Self drive will be the best option IMHO and the distances can be large-however as has been said driving is easy.

Have fun.

especially if you are driving a large and/or luxurious vehicle. Racking up several thousand miles in a compact class car would be an endurance test, not a pleasure ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport