We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Southwest USA & The West Coast (California, Arizona etc) - General Thread

Options

Comments

• elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yep driving in the u.s.a can be a pleasure, we drove from niagra down to central ohio a while back and really enjoyed it , ofcourse the compact cars in those days were much bigger than they are today lol,

it was more about taking pressure from my husband who is still slowly recovering from his breakdown, dont get me wrong he is doing great, much better than last year in florida ( that was hell) but i am very aware that driving alot can have an impact on our holiday, i'm also aware that sleeping in so many hotels can be tiring

we still have to drive to death valley ,yosemite park, san fransisco, lake tahoe and back to san fran all of those we plan on doing in short 4 hour increments of driving, driving from grand canyon to death valley is an 8 hour trip though, coupled with our second place to sleep, we still have 5 more places lined up to sleep in ..

time for some brain storming i think, thanks very much for all the help though it deff gives me something to work with :)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,551 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you drive?
  • elantan
    Options
    i do drive, and i am a very good driver... no accidents that was my fault ... well except from driving into the back of a policemans car :rotfl::rotfl:, ( but that's the only one honest)

my husband just doesnt like me driving in the u.s.a,i dont think he trusts me or something :cool:

he's just phoned so i asked him if he wants me to drive while we are there to take some of the pressure off of him he replied "no i like to drive in the u.s.a, it's much more fun than driving here"

maybe i am being to protective of him, i just remember what we went through last year * shudder*
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    especially if you are driving a large and/or luxurious vehicle. Racking up several thousand miles in a compact class car would be an enduranc test, not a pleasure ;)

We had this car, classed as a compact. Very comfortable with just the 2 of us, certainly not an endurance
    DSC_0329.jpg
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • northwest1965
    Options
    elantan wrote: »
    i do drive, and i am a very good driver... no accidents that was my fault ... well except from driving into the back of a policemans car :rotfl::rotfl:, ( but that's the only one honest)

my husband just doesnt like me driving in the u.s.a,i dont think he trusts me or something :cool:

he's just phoned so i asked him if he wants me to drive while we are there to take some of the pressure off of him he replied "no i like to drive in the u.s.a, it's much more fun than driving here"

maybe i am being to protective of him, i just remember what we went through last year * shudder*

Perhaps you are being over protective, understandably. Sit down and make a list of your priorities. You have experience of long drives in the US which is good. You know your bum starts to ache after 5 hours:rotfl:
  • elantan
    Options
    ohh yeah sore bum, i remember it well .... on our journeys down south ( in the U.K) the pain tended to hit earlier than the five hours as well, maybe something to do with the wonderful state of our roads lol ... we can always stop for breaks and photo ops etc ...

i probably am being protective of my hubby as well so i think you are right in that we will sit down and discuss needs/wants/fears etc

thanks as always for the help

el
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Options
    We had this car, classed as a compact. Very comfortable with just the 2 of us, certainly not an endurance
    DSC_0329.jpg
    Perhaps you are being over protective, understandably. Sit down and make a list of your priorities. You have experience of long drives in the US which is good. You know your bum starts to ache after 5 hours:rotfl:

Not my idea of a hire car that I'd like to spend 5 hours, or even 1 hour in .
    This (or a Town car) is the sort of thing that is much, much more suited to mile munching

2012-cadillac-dts-3-450x300.jpg
  • northwest1965
    Options
    Not my idea of a hire car that I'd like to spend 5 hours, or even 1 hour in .
    This (or a Town car) is the sort of thing that is much, much more suited to mile munching

2012-cadillac-dts-3-450x300.jpg

Crikey, i wouldnt want to take that up the Tioga Pass, and Yosemite. I'd have a fit.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Crikey, i wouldnt want to take that up the Tioga Pass, and Yosemite. I'd have a fit.
    Seconded!:eek:
    I guess it depends what you're used to driving... we drive a tiny car in the UK and usually get something like a Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger in the USA - which is fine for the 3 of us and much bigger than what we're used to driving here. I wouldn't be comfortable driving anything much bigger than that!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Walter_Sobchak
    Options
    If there's only two of you, a mustang convertable would be my choice! Nothing better than cruising with the top down in California!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport