PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

Comments

• Grumpy_Ben wrote: »
    Always try and ask for stuff on Freecycle. Often the stuff you need will be something that people don't use any more and they will be happy for you to take it off their hands!

My parents are obsessed with this site too and have given away old kids bikes that are in really good nick,videos etc. I feel guilty about putting things out for rubbish that other people might want so think it's an awesome idea!

Ebay is also another good place to save money - breakfast bar & two chairs brand new £70,ebay used once £15 inc delivery! People put unwanted prezzies on there too inc myself so get looking and grab a 'as new' bargain ;)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    When in store always check the World foods aisle in Mr T as stuff is so much cheaper down there and those options quite often don't come up in an online shop.

My online search for Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce comes up with one that's £1.09 for 200ml and another that's £3.84 for 435ml yet I KNOW that there's another option in World foods which is £1.89 for 730ml :mad:
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I use Ebay for a lot of my stuff. I've bought all my daughters' wedding favours, flowers and dresses there. My MOB outfit would have cost £1500 new, it cost me £60!
    I grow my own veg and re-use everything I can.
    Our local Council charges £15 to take away large items, our local free paper has a section where you can advertise stuff for free, and people collect it for nothing, saving me £15!
    Always take my own lunches on outings, and being disabled, always look for disabled rates, and very often, free carers too.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• pollysg
    pollysg Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use my clubcard vouchers to buy magazine subsscriptions, then pass the mags onto friends.
  • O.W.E.I
    O.W.E.I Posts: 413 Forumite
    If you've got any vouchers to use up, wrap them around your loyalty card and or payment card, so you don't forget them when paying.

Since I've been doing this, I've managed to avoid that 'Oh cak!' moment, when I get home with a pocket full of money off vouchers that expire the next day.:rotfl:
  • jmclusky
    jmclusky Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To all the people who suggest diluting washing up liquid - isn't it just better to use less of it in the first place? You might need to get in the habit of not squeezing loads in but it should be the same in the end.

Someone at work keeps doing this and it's just not as effective as the concentrated stuff.
  • Saturnalia
    Saturnalia Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Packed lunches are a massive moneysaver - by the time you've bought a shop sarnie and a drink, and a couple of bits to go with it to make a meal, that's £5 spent on something that isn't that impressive a lunch. You could have a week's worth of lunch for not much more than one shop lunch costs.

When washing clothes, use half the amount of soap & conditioner the maker recommends and use the 30 degrees quick wash (unless the clothes are utterly filthy). The clothes come up completely clean.

Same goes for bath stuff - use a measuring cup to avoid heavy-handed pouring. And put it in just before you get in rather than when you start the bath running as the scent will last longer.

Put shower gels, shampoo, washing-up liquid etc. into pump bottles to avoid spilling it or squeezing the bottle too hard and getting too much out. You can always pump a little more out if you don't have enough first go.

Don't turn up your nose at the cheapie supermarkets and £1 shops. And if you pass a supermarket towards the end of the day, go in and see what has been reduced and is freezable. I often eat organic corn-fed chicken breasts at about a quarter of the original price.

Look at charity shops for bargains and get books from the library, if you like them enough for a second read you can probably find it cheaply on Amazon etc.
    Public appearances now involve clothing. Sorry, it's part of my bail conditions.
  • cabbage
    cabbage Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    Saturnalia wrote: »

When washing clothes, use half the amount of soap & conditioner the maker recommends and use the 30 degrees quick wash (unless the clothes are utterly filthy). The clothes come up completely clean.

I've just discovered costco's own brand washing powder called Kirkland. It does 400 washes for around £14 and you use so little of it. Its kind to skin and washes really well! Obviously it wouldn't work out that cheap if you had to join Costco but I'm a member anyway and members can bring in non members to be more money saving.

I think this site has saved me hundreds of pounds and given me inspiration for free, helped me watch my weight and notified me of bargains, cons and freebies and helped me be more money savvy all for free
    The Cabbage
    Its Advice - Take it or Leave it:D
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Dry your washing on a line outside and on a victorian type drying rack inside [ the type you hang on the ceiling and have a pully to power up and down.
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just a note on Cashback sites - i love them, use quite a few for cashback and daily clicks. I would advise you to make regular cash outs though - dont save it up - a few sites have disapeared recently losing people money, so if you cash out as soon as you reach the cash out limit then if they do go to the wall then you wont have lost as much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure