PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Great 'Isn't it obvious?' MoneySaving Hunt revisited

1151617181921»

Comments

• uropachild
    uropachild Posts: 522 Forumite
    I don't have hankies, but i'm definitely going to buy some next time i see them cheap! I do use an old baby vest to wipe the kids noses when they have a cold - much softer and cheaper than a zillion paper tissues. :)
    Sarah. :p
    DD is 8 years old DS1 is 6 years old
    DS2 is 14 months old
  • I'm in the real hankie club too :) - wish I could convince dh to join, sick of unravelling shreds of tissue from the washing *sigh*
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you're on a water meter, don't flush after a number one every time:DAlso limit baths to once or twice a week, as one bath is apparently equal to 6 showers:eek::eek::eek:
    Put mascara, foundation etc in a cup of hot water to get the dregs, as well as cutting the bottom off tubes to get more:D
    Cut the feet off babygros as they get too tight, and put socks on the little uns:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    edited 25 May 2011 at 9:24PM
    I am in the real hankie club too. Haven't bought any for years as I am using up inherited ones from Mum and 4 aunts as well as the ones I received every Christmas as I was growing up. Being the upper side of 60 I hope they last me out!!

edited to say: I think tissues are very UN-hygenic now there aren't as many fires about to burn them on. All you are doing is putting your germs in landfill!
  • marmiterulesok
    marmiterulesok Posts: 7,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Perhaps it sounds harsh, but I suddenly realised that if I was overweight, I was wasting food... I may not throw it in the bin, but was still still buying too much, so there was definitely room to cut down on the number of things on the weekly grocery bill....

i am guilty of this too and am trying to address the issue.I have a 'siege' mentality which is very hard to ignore-more dried goods than perishables,fortuanately.

I'm also trying to cut down on portions as I eat too much.

An intersting point you've brought up.
  • pollysg
    pollysg Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    exlibris wrote: »
    I am in the real hankie club too. Haven't bought any for years as I am using up inherited ones from Mum and 4 aunts as well as the ones I received every Christmas as I was growing up. Being the upper side of 60 I hope they last me out!!

edited to say: I think tissues are very UN-hygenic now there aren't as many fires about to burn them on. All you are doing is putting your germs in landfill!

I only use tissues, but I compost them (and all 'soft' paper and card) after use.
  • My cat is a really picky eater and holds out for luxury cat food. I get round this by buying the cheapest food in Aldi and mixing it 50/50 with the luxury kind - she's fooled so we're both happy lol.;)
  • If you get a nasty niff anywhere usually the loo after the men have been in there :rotfl:But it works with cabbage smells too ....Light a match and waft it around a few times or light a candle ..niff gone :D
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 18 June 2014 at 9:41AM
    Just found this site meandering round MMF and, though I am frugal and get 'bang for my buck' it has reinvigorated my desire to be prudent. I have just ordered a book from my library which I otherwise would have bought as it is newly out and no charity shop yet sells it. The fee was 50p! Also I have joined the 'Topcashback' cashback website and have found it has portals for stores I use constantly, even Tesco's.

My tips are:-
    -Do a money makeover and record all incomings and outgoings. Work out what you need to pay for each bill annually and set money aside to meet bills when they arise. Have an account book (actual paper as I do - or online if that floats your boat) and record EVERYHING. Knowledge is power. This is my main piece of advice. What follows is trivial but will save money.
    -Don't buy work food, take food in. It's much cheaper.
    -Bulk buy non perishable good when they are cheaper. I have 50 bags of top quality coffee in my garage which I bought for £2.50 a bag when it retails at £3.79 normally. I buy 'Original Source' shower gel, which sells for £2.20 when it's knocked down to £1. And so on. Buy Champagne at Easter and Christmas when it's on offer.
    -Mix top quality clothing from high end shops with cheapie bargains for 'good' outfits.
    -Never buy the 'extras' a shop sells as they are where they make the profit (like the bread and olives in restaurants). So buy the Phase Eight dress (in the sale) but do not buy the matching: necklace, shoes, shrug. whatever. Primark might well have something which will suit.
    -Borrow and swap things, especially if you will only need them once, for example, for a wedding.
    -Recycle presents.
    -Recycle paper and decorative boxes and bags.

Recently I did another money makeover and found, to my horror that my 'Times' and 'Spectator' subscriptions, after the initial offer period had expired, were costing me nealy £600 a year with delivery charges so I cancelled them. I am really seeing a difference in my monthly outgoings. I use the free newspaper websites now and get freebie papers in Waitrose - but only when I have saved up a fiver's worth of shopping to do.

Saving money is about a balance between eternal vigilence and not becoming totally obsessed with cash since life is about so many more important things.
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I agree with your philosophy in life. My OH and I laugh like drains at our poor (now grown up) children who bemoan the ancient TV set that we continue to use. We bought it when the 25 year old was in his buggy. We also still have a Sony CD/radio player which is like a piece of 90's kitch. We also have the last laugh when we think how much money the dear offspring have spent upgrading their technology and buying downloads. However, now they are older, and more crucially, paying for things themselves, we have noticed that a streak of the old parental frugality is revealing itself in their attitude to spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure